1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 15:021 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    How do you argue against something that doesn't exist? I think the argument is with those that mistakenly believe one does.

More telling is arguing against something that does exist - like science.

I do like your analogy comparing god to Santa Claus though 😉
    How do you argue against something that doesn't exist? I think the argument is with those that mistakenly believe one does.

Many here try every single day. With a fervor that leads some here to think maybe they have a belief against this "thing that doesn't exist". And yes, when pushed, many of these will bring their argument against the believers themselves, often making it 'personal' and often using a twisted logic meant to "prove" somehow that the believer is somehow either mentally or morally deficient for siding with such a "monster" as God (that of course "doesn't exist" ).

Arguing against science is a little different. I can only assume that those who do this must come from deficient school systems. I, myself, have absolutely NO problem with science, and frankly I cannot understand Christians who are so rigid in their belief that they do have a problem with science. As I said, they must have been taught poorly by deficient school systems. Either that, or their faith is incomplete.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 15:04
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I can prove it to you, if you like, Suzianne???? 😛

-m.
    Not necessary, my friend. 🙂
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 15:08
    Where is the cut-off point of telling a child Father Christmas is a load of BS, or letting them live on in the hope?
    I personally do not believe lying to kids is ever a good thing. I never taught my child to believe in Santa Claus.
    I sometimes find it amazing how many people lie to kids all the time for no apparent reason than that it amuses them when someone readily believes their lies. Of course the end result is their kids simply don't believe anything that they are told.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 15:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I can assure you, that when I meet adults, or even older children that believe in either the FSM or Santa Claus, I become very vocal in my attempts to tear down their beliefs in such entities. If anything, I can be more vocal because there is far less stigma against speaking out against such beliefs.
    Do you keep quiet when you meet such people? Do you qu ...[text shortened]... n Santa? After all, believing in Santa is hardly harmful and makes for far better Christmas''.
    Do you often meet adults who believe in Santa Claus? Where is this, at the 'ward' you call home? If you spend so much of your time divesting people of their belief in Santa Claus, I can only believe you accost little children with your 'truth'.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, the high point of our day is not focused on trying to make people cry. Unlike some people in this forum it is not our raison d'etre. And no, we do not get a tingle running up our leg when it happens, either.

Enjoy yourself. You're probably the only one who does.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 15:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    As for myself, though, I don't necessarily argue against Christianity. I argue against conservatism.
    A much more virtuous battle, to be sure. 😀
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 16:021 edit
    argue day in and day out, getting nowhere, about what they believe or don't believe about a God.

Why don't y'all just get on with your lives being kind, doing what y'all think is necessary to be kind to the human race, and forget about personal opinionated nuances?

-m. 😏
    Not true, I never argue or disagree. 😏
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 16:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Do you often meet adults who believe in Santa Claus?
    No, and that is my point. Sumydid thinks that the fact that I talk to more Christians than Santa Claus believers is 'telling' by which he is suggesting that it lends support to his belief that I am a closet theist. I am pointing out that the correlation is based on the fact that there are more theists than Santa Claus believers and that his statistical conclusion is thus flawed.

Where is this, at the 'ward' you call home?
    What's with all the personal attacks recently?

If you spend so much of your time divesting people of their belief in Santa Claus, I can only believe you accost little children with your 'truth'.
    Actually, I come from a part of the world where belief in Santa Claus even amongst children is not widespread.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, the high point of our day is not focused on trying to make people cry.
    When did I even suggest that? Or are you saying that telling children the truth about Santa Claus makes them cry?

Seriously, what did I do to you that warrants this?
  8. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 17:35
    Do you often meet adults who believe in Santa Claus? Where is this, at the 'ward' you call home? If you spend so much of your time divesting people of their belief in Santa Claus, I can only believe you accost little children with your 'truth'.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, the high point of our day is not focused on trying to make people cr ...[text shortened]... ur leg when it happens, either.

I would say that you went a bit 'over the top' with this one Suzi.Especially as your previous post complains about posters 'often making it 'personal' '
    I have not noticed anything in twhiteheads posts to warrant such an attack.He always strikes me as being one of the more polite posters here.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 18:121 edit
    A much more virtuous battle, to be sure. 😀
    I disagree. I believe Liberlism is much worse than Conservatism, at least in America.
    EXAMPLE: Abortion on demand is Liberalism.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 18:321 edit

And that is the exact belief of Buddhism, as a God has never been proven, never.!

So rather than waste their time, Buddhists deal with the known experiences of life and deal with the philospohies learned from them, in order to live a life of caring for others, developing improved care, and improving upon the philosophy by which they live, until a God IS pr ist who remarked that DNA, upon his analysis, must have come from a master programmer?

-m. 😉
    ... if buddha's your boss and god is mine and we cheer for them in an otb chess match at either
    the bathos club below or the celestial one upstairs, who wins the most points out of ten?

* dress code: casual, no tails & smoking optional @ corner table one:

a) m.-'s boss buddha: wins = ? / draws = ? / losses = ?
    b) gb's god: wins = ? / draws = ? / losses = ?

*** match alphaphetic notation: a) m.-'s boss gets white,
    his opponent gets black in all ten games; c) no j'adoube's.

> bring it, men. game's on!
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 16:36
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    ... if buddha's your boss and god is mine and we cheer for them in an otb chess match at either
    the bathos club below or the celestial one upstairs, who wins the most points out of ten?

* dress code: casual, no tails & smoking optional @ corner table one:

a) m.-'s boss buddha: wins = ? / draws = ? / losses = ?
    b) gb's god: wins = ? / draws = ? ...[text shortened]... opponent gets black in all ten games; c) no j'adoube's.

> bring it, men. game's on!
    I'm on....... send it over.........
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '13 16:45

I'm on....... send it over.........
    Before this reply, I asked buddha's opponent,
    God, if you could stand in. He looked down upon
    me with a fatherly smile and said:Reveal Hidden Content
    Hey, Bobby, you get your sweet butt over to that wannabe club and tell mikelom I said, No way in Hell!
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 12:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I personally do not believe lying to kids is ever a good thing. I never taught my child to believe in Santa Claus.
    I sometimes find it amazing how many people lie to kids all the time for no apparent reason than that it amuses them when someone readily believes their lies. Of course the end result is their kids simply don't believe anything that they are told.
    Then don't teach them to believe in evil-lution either. 😏
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 21:26
    Originally posted by JS357
    What about people who think the best way to be kind to the human race is to tell them what they need to believe, and/or do, to save their souls?
    When they first do it, it's amusing, because you're not sure if they're joking, but the second time is just downright rude in my book.
    And to assume that your views amount to squat because you don't view their saviour of all mankind as the saviour of all mankind, but somewhat differently, an independent view made up by observing all the facts we have come across during our lives, and not just believing the herd mentality approved version of history and religion ....
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 23:45
    Originally posted by sumydid
    No one here is trying to convince any Atheist that their doctrine is the one and only doctrine. All a believer wants is for the Atheist to believe -- and it's for no other reason than for the Atheist's benefit.
    This is what atheists object to.
    "I don´t know that atheists should be considered citizens,
    nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

Former American President George Bush

"The Christian community has a golden opportunity to train an army of
    dedicated teachers who can invade the public school classrooms and use them
    to influence the nation for Christ."

American Presbyterian Minister James Kennedy

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree