1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 19:30
    ...it matters how I treat other people, myself, animals, and the earth.

Right?!
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 19:35
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

Right?!
    False dichotomy.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 19:36

Right?!
    your religion should have advice on how to treat others, yourself, animals and the earth.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 21:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    your religion should have advice on how to treat others, yourself, animals and the earth.
    Who needs advice?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 21:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    False dichotomy.
    You're inferring a dichotomy where there is none.
    He isn't saying religion or treat people right.
    They are not mutually exclusive and the OP doesnt say they are.i
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 21:34
    If there is no God then it doesn't matter which religion you follow, or for that matter whether you follow one at all; assuming we ignore effects whose explanation is acceptable to a rationalist. Then there is the possibility that God either does not care what religion people follow, in which case it still doesn't matter. So it only matters if it matters to God, and if it does matter to God there's no real way of knowing which particular religion is right, if any of them are. So I wouldn't worry about it.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 21:36
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You're inferring a dichotomy where there is none.
    He isn't saying religion or treat people right.
    They are not mutually exclusive and the OP doesnt say they are.i
    Incorrect. "It doesn't matter"..."it (does) matter"...

A set of opposing statements.
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 22:06
    If you accept a Christian god you have rejected scores of other gods.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 23:35
    False dichotomy.
    It is not a dichotomy at all. Nothing in my post rules out following a religion while also treating myself, others, animals and planet well.

You do know what 'dichotomy' means, right?!
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 23:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. The point is, that doesn't matter. The thing that matters is how I actually treat others, etc.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 02:452 edits
    It is not a dichotomy at all. Nothing in my post rules out following a religion while also treating myself, others, animals and planet well.

You do know what 'dichotomy' means, right?!
    You are saying is doesn't matter what religion you follow. Opposed to this you are saying does matter what you do.

Whether or not it is technically a dichotomy is a side topic. What I am saying is that both matter. I.e the statement does not hold true.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 02:47
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    If you accept a Christian god you have rejected scores of other gods.
    Correct.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:14
    You are saying is doesn't matter what religion you follow. Opposed to this you are saying does matter what you do.

Whether or not it is technically a dichotomy is a side topic. What I am saying is that both matter. I.e the statement does not hold true.
    OK, I'll take that as an admission that you chose the word 'dichotomy' poorly. Moving on...

Apart from treatment of others etc. as I described, why is the choice of religion important? Is there some other benefit to it besides all that obtain when people treat one another well? Or is it just that there are many crappy religions out there that leech off your time/energy/goodness etc. and should be avoided?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:17
    OK, I'll take that as an admission that you chose the word 'dichotomy' poorly. Moving on...

Apart from treatment of others etc. as I described, why is the choice of religion important? Is there some other benefit to it besides all that obtain when people treat one another well? Or is it just that there are many crappy religions out there that leech off your time/energy/goodness etc. and should be avoided?
    I accept that my use of the word dichotomy was not appropriate to support my response to your OP.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:23

The choice of religion is only important if you accept there is a god, and then only if that God is specific about his/her/its identity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree