1. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 00:16
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Wrong. God’s Holy Spirit Who indwells people who believe in Christ and His Resurrection and who have accepted Christ into their hearts leads people to the truth.

You don’t believe in Christ’s deity or that God’s Holy Spirit indwells believers. You’ll never learn the truth or know the power of God until you do.
    Gods Holy Spirit is in somebody like you ? LOL Haha .. Gods Holy Spirit leads people to the truth and these truths have led to thousands of churches will thousands of interpretations ?

You have no idea what the Holy Spirit is. You have no such thing.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:152 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    How do you personally decide what is, and what isn’t, literal in the bible?
    I'd want to be fluent in the original languages AND be aware of all the cultural influences that would be reflected in the way the authors use their words.

I'd want the rest of the scrolls involved too. Good question, btw. I think the honest answer for many people would have to be that the stuff they like in the bible must be literal, and the stuff they don't like can be rationalized away.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:20
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Translated :
    The pastor decides. Then if one agrees with the pastor its like agreeing with God.
    Or one doesn't, then that one fails to learn the truth
    Why don't you just read Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 22:13?

Until then why don't you just be quiet?
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:252 edits
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I think the honest answer for many people would have to be that the stuff they like in the bible must be literal, and the stuff they don't like can be rationalized away.
    That's probably true of most people, but it's extremely poor exegesis.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:283 edits
    Let’s revist this topic for the sake of some of the newcomers in here... who seem to be keen to avoid it. SecondSon for example.

Here’s the question guys:

[b]How do you personally decide what is, and what isn’t, literal in the bible?

PS: An upvote for anyone finding my last thread on this topic and linking it for reference 🙂[/b]
    My experience is that the most important things in the Bible are repeated in more than one way. So one rarely needs to worry that major tenets of the faith hang on just one questionable passage (as to how it should be taken).

Things of critical importance are usually repeated in multiple places in varied ways.

We also realize that behind the living Word is the living God. We are not totally left to our own resources. God is behind the book helping, guiding, leading to understand what He wants you to understand.

All things one reads in the Bible are for the purpose of God changing you to be like Jesus. Resistance to God changing you to be like Jesus, makes the issue of "understanding" this or that difficulty a moot point.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:291 edit
    Gods Holy Spirit is in somebody like you ? LOL Haha .. Gods Holy Spirit leads people to the truth and these truths have led to thousands of churches will thousands of interpretations ?

Not everybody who goes to church or is in a position of authority in church is saved.

Those who are saved know it.

“The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:”

(Romans 8:16)

You already have stated that you don’t know if you are saved and that you’ll find out after you die. If you don’t know if you’re saved, you’re not saved. Get saved now by John 3:16 and Romans 10:9.

Why do you refuse to believe in Jesus Christ and in His Resurrection and refuse to accept Him into your heart?

Why?
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:33

If you read like you write it's no wonder you can't understand the Bible.

The watchtower is watching you. Don't read Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 22:13. You may lose everything.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:35
    Originally posted by @sonship
    My experience is that the most important things in the Bible are repeated in more than one way. So one rarely needs to worry that major tenets of the faith hang on just one questionable passage (as to how it should be taken).

Things of critical importance are usually repeated in multiple places in varied ways.

We also realize that behind the living ...[text shortened]... you to be like Jesus, makes the issue of "understanding" this or that difficulty a moot point.
    Good points.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:41
    Originally posted by @secondson
    If you read like you write it's no wonder you can't understand the Bible.

The watchtower is watching you. Don't read Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 22:13. You may lose everything.
    You cannot tell me what Jesus said about God?
    You cannot tell me what God said about Jesus>
    I dont need to hear from Isaiah.
    God and Jesus are greater authorities.

Jesus said God is His Father and God is greater
    God said Jesus is his beloved Son.
    Paul said God is the head of Jesus.

Your pastor did not tell you these things?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:443 edits
    Let’s revist this topic for the sake of some of the newcomers in here... who seem to be keen to avoid it. SecondSon for example.

Here’s the question guys:

[b]How do you personally decide what is, and what isn’t, literal in the bible?

PS: An upvote for anyone finding my last thread on this topic and linking it for reference 🙂[/b]
    The Bible is what it is. The Bible is steeped in metaphor, is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. As such, there is no alternative to picking and choosing what parts to believe. Those who claim that they do not pick and choose are disingenuous at best.

From what I've seen, the vast majority use the Bible to create God in their own image. If they are pro-slavery, anti-gay or vice-versa, they can find a way to "justify" it via the Bible and convince themselves that they have "the word of God" on their side.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 01:59
    Athiests who don't have the courage to admit publically that they are Atheists should not be taken seriously to be able to teach people how to derive benefit from the Bible.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:04
    Athiests who don't have the courage to admit publically that they are Atheists should not be taken seriously to be able to teach people how to derive benefit from the Bible.
    Did you buy this site from the owners?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:05
    Those who don't know the position of others shouldn't pretend that they do.

From what I've seen, unfortunately the vast majority use the Bible to "derive benefit" for themselves.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:14
    Originally posted by @thinkofone

From what I've seen, unfortunately the vast majority use the Bible to "derive benefit" for themselves.

If you walk around with a mask all the time, it is no surprise that you won't be trusted. "Why are you hiding who you are?" eventually will be the question people will wonder about.

There is no crime in deriving benefit personally from the Bible, if it is not contrary to the nature of God.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:16
    You cannot tell me what Jesus said about God?
    You cannot tell me what God said about Jesus>
    I dont need to hear from Isaiah.
    God and Jesus are greater authorities.

Jesus said God is His Father and God is greater
    God said Jesus is his beloved Son.
    Paul said God is the head of Jesus.

Your pastor did not tell you these things?
    So you never read Isaiah?

I can tell you what Jesus said about God and what God said about Jesus all day long, but that would be beside the point.

That you haven't read Isaiah, or much else in the Bible apparently, speaks volumes about the level of ignorance you aspire to.

I think the reason you're running from Isaiah 44:6 and Revelation 22:13 is because you know what they say, and you know they destroy the stance you hold, and would expose you as a fraud.

Just think what clearing of your conscience there would be if you would just come clean and admit you're wrong.

Isaiah 57:15
    For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Psalm 51:17
    The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree