1. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 00:25
    Why do these people insist on intruding in on my personal space to impose their deluded versions of the bible and quote obsessively from revelations? I have my own beliefs but you will never see me trying to impose those beliefs on anyone else let alone go knocking on peoples doors to express those beliefs. Never being one for rudeness I always smile and patiently hear them out before informing them I am confident and content with my own beliefs thank you. But just once I would like for them to catch me on an off day and really give it to them. Is anyone here in the habit of knocking door to door in an effort to sell God and why do you do it or does anyone have a sure fire way to make them stop coming around pushing the kingdom of paradise down my throat.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 00:49
    Originally posted by mokko
    Why do these people insist on intruding in on my personal space to impose their deluded versions of the bible and quote obsessively from revelations? I have my own beliefs but you will never see me trying to impose those beliefs on anyone else let alone go knocking on peoples doors to express those beliefs. Never being one for rudeness I always smile and patie ...[text shortened]... a sure fire way to make them stop coming around pushing the kingdom of paradise down my throat.
    They are working their way into heaven, they don't have choice.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 00:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    yeah that's all good but do they have to drag their kids around in the freezing cold or rain?
    i've asked them in once never again! they just wouldn't damm leave.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 01:001 edit
    Why do these people insist on intruding in on my personal space to impose their deluded versions of the bible and quote obsessively from revelations? I have my own beliefs but you will never see me trying to impose those beliefs on anyone els ...[text shortened]... stop coming around pushing the kingdom of paradise down my throat.
    Once you figure out how to tell them off, or how to have them not come around anymore... you'll feel bad about what you've done... if you have a shred of decency.

Just tell them right off the bat you are not interested, don't waste their time, don't waste yours... and be polite.

P-
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 01:14
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Once you figure out how to tell them off, or how to have them not come around anymore... you'll feel bad about what you've done... if you have a shred of decency.

Just tell them right off the bat you are not interested, don't waste their time, don't waste yours... and be polite.

P-
    Or you can learn the scriptures yourself and show them the differences in your beliefs. I did. They tend to stay away. I was polite, and welcomed them back for more but they have refrained.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 01:181 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaitor
    Or you can learn the scriptures yourself and show them the differences in your beliefs. I did. They tend to stay away. I was polite, and welcomed them back for more but they have refrained.
    She didn't seem to want to put the time in. I had done the same... asked what version of the Bible they read... noted differences in the Aramaic... Some of them didn't even know there were different 'versions' and translations. One asked me to join their Bible study group... I declined.

I spent a couple hours chating... my wife thought I was a nut. She's right.

(You make a good point, I just wanted to clear up that I have done some 'leg work'😉

P-
  7. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 02:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Are there not others jobs they can do to get into heaven?
  8. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 02:49
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

P-
    Having a shred of decency would include not ringing on my doorbell and waking my baby from her nap. My home is my sanctuary from the outside world. There is a church across the street from me, if I wanted to hear what they have to say I would simply walk over and ask.
  9. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 09:042 edits
    A man dies and goes to heaven. Of course, St. Peter meets him at the pearly gates.

St. Peter says, "Here's how it works. You need 100 points to make it into heaven. You tell me all the good things you've done, and I give you a certain number of points for each item, depending on how good it was. When you reach 100 points, you get in."

"Okay," the man says, "I was married to the same woman for 50 years and never cheated on her, even in my heart."

"That's wonderful," says St. Peter, "that's worth three points!"

"Three points?" he says. "Well, I attended church all my life and supported its ministry with my tithe and service."

"Terrific!" says St. Peter, "that's certainly worth a point."

"One point? Golly. How about this: I started a soup kitchen in my city and worked in a shelter for homeless veterans."

"Fantastic, that's good for two more points," he says.

"TWO POINTS!!" the man cries, "At this rate the only way I get into heaven is by the grace of God!"

"Come on in!"

On Satarday i was working in glasgow, and there were two sets of evangelists in the little square outside my work. There was "hope church", which was playing jazz music and getting quite a crowd. Within this crowd there were people handing out leaflets, starting conversations etc. It's not intrusive, if anything it's productive. That's good evangelism.

The other was a guy standing with a mic critisising certain denominations. The only thing i really noticed was a board saying that people speaking in the tounges of angels were just faking, and he had a bible verse to back this up. This bible verse was not, i'll have you know, 1 corinthians 13*...God's about love, so preach about love not hate, darn it! that's bad evangelism, IMO.

I wonder how many converts jehova witnesses make a year?

*do you see the double meaning in that verse? it's about love, but also talks about "speaking in the tounges of angels"! clever, no? 😉
  10. England
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 14:47
    well i have no problems there i have knowledge and discuss there points they usualy walk away, but at least someone talks to you that should be ok makes you fell part of the outside world.
  11. Joined
    04 Jul '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 15:43
    Why do these people insist on intruding in on my personal space to impose their deluded versions of the bible and quote obsessively from revelations? I have my own beliefs but you will never see me trying to impose those beliefs on anyone else let alone go knocking on peoples doors to express those beliefs. Never being one for rudeness I always smile and patie ...[text shortened]... a sure fire way to make them stop coming around pushing the kingdom of paradise down my throat.
    They are intent on upholding Mathew 24:14. They always talk about the Kingdom of God and try to reason, that God cares for us and that he will bring his kingdom in the future.

I quite like them. I admire them for their work.

Bye from Tim
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 15:44
    No jobs do not get you there, working for entry isn't the way it is done.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    04 Jul '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 15:45
    Thats not their belief is it???

I thought they believed in 144,000 going to heavan, and a Great Crowd staying on earth.

Oh well.

Bye
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 15:52
    Having a shred of decency would include not ringing on my doorbell and waking my baby from her nap. My home is my sanctuary from the outside world. There is a church across the street from me, if I wanted to hear what they have to say I would simply walk over and ask.
    Sorry sweets, put a sign up I guess.

P-
  15. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    16 Aug '05 18:45
    I'll never understand JW's. Why they feel this need to go out and recruit others into their fold is baffling. Oh I understand why their religion wants them to do it, if they don't recruit then the religion doesn't grow. And if it doesn't grow it dies.

But why individuals would go door to door and *spread the word* is beyond me. Is it an act that helps them get into heaven? Are they so inspired by their beliefs that they want to share the good news!?

Do other religions do this? Despite the pros and cons I feel towards the Baptist religion, I don't recall us ever going door to door trying to recruit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree