1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 03:47
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003365311_jesuscamp08.html
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 04:53
    This bit amused me greatly:

[Haggard] tells the vast audience, "We don't have to debate about what we should think about homosexual activity. It's written in the Bible."
    Then Haggard looks into the camera and says kiddingly: "I think I know what you did last night," drawing laughs from the crowd. "If you send me a thousand dollars, I won't tell your wife."
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 05:42
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    This bit amused me greatly:

[Haggard] tells the vast audience, "We don't have to debate about what we should think about homosexual activity. It's written in the Bible."
    Then Haggard looks into the camera and says kiddingly: "I think I know what you did last night," drawing laughs from the crowd. "If you send me a thousand dollars, I won't tell your wife."
    I'm growing weary of all this love and forgiveness. If it is written in the Bible, I want to know when the stoning will commence.
  4. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 16:20
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I'm growing weary of all this love and forgiveness. If it is written in the Bible, I want to know when the stoning will commence.
    Are you volunteering?
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:15
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Are you volunteering?
    No as I don't be;ieve all of the Bible is relevent unlike Ted Haggard.
  6. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:29
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    No as I don't be;ieve all of the Bible is relevent unlike Ted Haggard.
    Christ himself never condemned stoning as a punishment.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:30
    Christ himself never condemned stoning as a punishment.
    He never condemned the use of condoms either.

What happened to the rest of his message that contradicts such strong punishments?
  8. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    He never condemned the use of condoms either.

What happened to the rest of his message that contradicts such strong punishments?
    He did condemn divorce and adultery, though.

His message was one of forgiveness, not turning a blind eye.

There's a difference.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:342 edits
    He did condemn divorce and adultery, though.

[b]What happened to the rest of his message that contradicts such strong punishments?

His message was one of forgiveness, not turning a blind eye.

There's a difference.[/b]
    Where's the forgiveness in stoning? Sounds pretty unrelenting to me.

Edit - Notice that my mention of condoms (sex and adultery) isn't without purpose.
  10. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:44
    Where's the forgiveness in stoning? Sounds pretty unrelenting to me.
    There is no forgiveness in stoning. The point I am making is that Jesus does not challenge its justice or, to put it another way, he does not say that the crime for which one is being stoned is not a crime or a sin.

(Not sure what you raised condoms for.)
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:511 edit
    There is no forgiveness in stoning. The point I am making is that Jesus does not challenge its justice or, to put it another way, he does not say that the crime for which one is being stoned is not a crime or a sin.

(Not sure what you raised condoms for.)
    Well there would sure be a lot less stonings if only those without sin could do them, wouldn't there?
  12. London
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 17:59
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Well there were sure be a lot less stonings if only those without sin could do them, wouldn't there?
    Huh?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 18:06
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Well there were sure be a lot less stonings if only those without sin could do them, wouldn't there?
    Exactly my point.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her"

Do you think he meant that there is someone out there who could have been the first?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 18:092 edits
    Huh?
    Have you ever read the Bible, LH?

John 8: 3-11

3 And the scribes and the Pharisees bring a woman taken in adultery; and having set her in the midst,

4 they say unto him, Teacher, this woman hath been taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such: what then sayest thou of her?

6 And this they said, trying him, that they might have whereof to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.

7 But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground.

9 And they, when they heard it, went out one by one, beginning from the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the midst.

10 And Jesus lifted up himself, and said unto her, Woman, where are they? did no man condemn thee?

11 And she said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said, Neither do I condemn thee: go thy way; from henceforth sin no more.
  15. The sky
    Moves
    15 Nov '06 18:15
    Exactly my point.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her"

Do you think he meant that there is someone out there who could have been the first?
    He could have done it himself, but decided not to. That's also quite telling.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree