1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 12:42
    Originally posted by RatX
    You're saying that the "starters" of the Christian faith created the myth around Christ and used that to kick-start the religion and get millions to believe in it and die for it and so on? Hmmm...
    Suppose you answer my question first.
  2. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 12:54
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Suppose you answer my question first.
    The first four writings of the New Testament... In case of ignorance: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 12:57
    The first four writings of the New Testament... In case of ignorance: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
    OK, you're not interested in the other gospels. I wonder why.

Now answer my other question.
  4. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:05

Now answer my other question.
    Which other gospels? And which other question?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:10
    Which other gospels? And which other question?
    The Gnostic gospels, part of the so-called Apocrypha excluded at the big editing session at Nicea, 325 AD. Here's a link for you: www.gnosis.org

The other question is the sentence after the first question.
  6. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:19
    The Gnostic gospels, part of the so-called Apocrypha excluded at the big editing session at Nicea, 325 AD. Here's a link for you: www.gnosis.org

The other question is the sentence after the first question.
    Oh, dear, not another Dan Brown disciple... And if you can't comprehend my answer, then don't bother - your mind's probably made up.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:22
    Oh, dear, not another Dan Brown disciple... And if you can't comprehend my answer, then don't bother - your mind's probably made up.
    Assumption upon assumption...surely you can do better than this derisive one-liner...rat king...an answer to my second question would at least get things going...my mind is certainly not made up...
  8. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:28
    Assumption upon assumption...surely you can do better than this derisive one-liner...rat king...an answer to my second question would at least get things going...my mind is certainly not made up...

Assumption upon assumption. Ok, lay out your second question, again please.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:30
    Assumption upon assumption.
    You got me--I assumed you knew about the Apocrypha. Let me know what you think of that web site.

Here's da question:

What makes the historical writings about Christ so very different from the historical writings about other magicians--Apollonius of Tyana, for instance?
  10. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:39
    You got me--I assumed you knew about the Apocrypha. Let me know what you think of that web site.

Here's da question:

What makes the historical writings about Christ so very different from the historical writings about other magicians--Apollonius of Tyana, for instance?
    I've answered that question. Simplified - the difference is that the people who wrote about Christ didn't create a mythology about him - they believed in what they wrote because they were willing to die for it. I assumed you'd got it.

I know about the Apocrypha - interesting stuff here and there, but books like "The gospel of Thomas" or "the gospel of Mary" have been discredited as frauds (except for the illustrious Dan Brown and his ilk). When I get bored, I'll continue this banter and perhaps check out the site...
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:47
    I've answered that question. Simplified - the difference is that the people who wrote about Christ didn't create a mythology about him - they believed in what they wrote because they were willing to die for it. I assumed you'd got it.

I know about the Apocrypha - interesting stuff here and there, but books like "The gospel of Thomas" or "the gospel of ...[text shortened]... own and his ilk). When I get bored, I'll continue this banter and perhaps check out the site...
    OK, you're saying that the people who wrote the Gospels are different to other authors by virtue of their personal courage.

I don't think these authors created the mythology--none of them were first-hand witnesses to the reported events; all had to rely on second-hand (at best) testimony in times when people believed in all kinds of crazy things...

"They wrote because they were willing to die for it". Was that really why they wrote--because they were willing to die?--or did they have other motives--like writing to a particular readership?

I note that my assumption was correct. You assert that the gospel of Thomas has been discredited as a fraud--please back that up--if you don't die of ennui first.
  12. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:53
    OK, you're saying that the people who wrote the Gospels are different to other authors by virtue of their personal courage.

I don't think these authors created the mythology--none of them were first-hand witnesses to the reported events; all had to rely on second-hand (at best) testimony in times when people believed in all kinds of ...[text shortened]... f Thomas has been discredited as a fraud--please back that up--if you don't die of ennui first.
    I don't think these authors created the mythology--none of them were first-hand witnesses to the reported events; all had to rely on second-hand (at best) testimony in times when people believed in all kinds of crazy things...

Assumptions.

The rest of the post doesn't merit a response...
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 13:591 edit
    [b]I don't think these authors created the mythology--none of them were first-hand witnesses to the reported events; all had to rely on second-hand (at best) testimony in times when people believed in all kinds of crazy things...

Assumptions.

The rest of the post doesn't merit a response...[/b]
    Even the part where he asks you to back up your claim regarding Thomas? 😕

It seems you're about as useful as tits on a dog.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 14:02
    Assumptions.
    Here's Luke actually saying he wasn't an eye-witness:

Since many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the events that have been fulfilled among us,
    just as those who were eyewitnesses from the beginning and ministers of the word have handed them down to us,
    I too have decided, after investigating everything accurately anew, to write it down in an orderly sequence for you, most excellent Theophilus,
    so that you may realize the certainty of the teachings you have received.

The rest of the post doesn't merit a response...

You're quite right, it's unreasonable of me to ask you to substantiate your claims. My humble apologies.
  15. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 14:16
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Even the part where he asks you to back up your claim regarding Thomas? 😕

I'm sure you've found some use for them in your nocturnal activities.
    It would take me too much of my valuable time and befuddle you too much getting the documents pasted onto the thread.

You're as useful to the discussion as pigeon-stool on a pump-handle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree