1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 21:39
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Why would I be betting on anything? I generally don't gamble. And I'll not disturb you further. As I said, I won't learn much from either side of this debate.
    You said. "Whether or not we know the actual mechanism yet is another matter but I'd be willing to bet that "God done it" isn't even close."

Have you now changed your mind?
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 23:43
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You said. "Whether or not we know the actual mechanism yet is another matter but [b]I'd be willing to bet that "God done it" isn't even close."

Have you now changed your mind?[/b]
    Oh go on then, one more. I haven't changed my mind. Although I don't generally gamble, I am not averse to betting on a near certainty. I am as certain as I can be that the mechanism by which a bumblebee flies is not "God done it". Bumblebees can and do fly, observation confirms that. The reason generally quoted for the impossibility of this is calculations showing that the energy rquired is too great. However, experiment reveals that viscosity at the scale of an insect's wing enables greater amounts of air to be moved for less energy expenditure. There, bumblebees can fly and no biologist or fluid dynamicist has blamed god.

Now, this is not suggesting god does not exist or that he has no hand in a bumblebee's flight It seems that scientists are not in the habit of using god as the reason for things. This might be because they don't believe, or because they haven't seen any evidence of divine intervention or even because they think their discovery might be met with howls of derision. Even if the scientist concerned is a fervent believer he is very unlikely to get anything published in a peer reviewed journal that cites god as the reason why bumblebees can fly. Apart from anything else, science is already happy with the fact that bumblebees fly.The data suggests the bet is a near certainty.

It seems to me that constantly trying to insert god into the gaps in our knowledge to prove a point is counterproductive. If we do not know something today that does not mean we will not know tomorrow or next week or a hundred years from now. Current ignorance is no reason to wheel out god as a filling for the gaps in our knowledge. Doesn't your god deserve better than that?

Apart from anything else, if we require god to be constantly fiddling about with his creation, holding bumblebees aloft for example, we are saying that his creation is not really up to scratch. Tell me, when god rested on the seventh day did all the bumblebees plummet to earth? Did the planets suddenly fall out of their orbits? I think you should be able to trust a truly perfect god to make something that works without constant tinkering from the maker.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 01:22
    Scientific data should always be quoted with an error term.
    ... because Science always has an error!
    😏
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 01:24
    Might as well just put up a sign saying "God done it" and stop thinking. It's just lazy if you ask me.
    Its not lazy its efficient.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 01:26

Rainbows are just light.

Then why were there no rainbows before the flood?
    😏
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 05:282 edits
    Oh go on then, one more. I haven't changed my mind. Although I don't generally gamble, I am not averse to betting on a near certainty. I am as certain as I can be that the mechanism by which a bumblebee flies is not "God done it". Bumblebees can and do fly, observation confirms that. The reason generally quoted for the impossibility of this is calculations sh uly perfect god to make something that works without constant tinkering from the maker.
    It is God, not god. And I did not say God had to be constantly fiddling about with His creation. Some of us have said that the evolutionist type scientist claim to know more than they can possibly know. They speculate and make wild guesses and claim it is science. Your near certainity is only in your distorted mind that was caused by the lies of the atheists, who wish to remove God's influence from the world. The lies of the theory of evolution, with man only a more evolved monkey and not a creation of God in His own image, is their main religious weapon against Christianity. It is a stupid idea, but it works for those that want to give in to the animal instincts of the physical body. But some of us have enough common sense to know that there has to be more than the physical part of our existence and that is why we have a forum here to discuss spirituality. If you do not believe is the spiritual, then go peddle your nonsense in the science forum, where you will be right at home with the other non-believers.
  7. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 13:04
    But some of us have enough common sense to know that there has to be more than the physical part of our existence and that is why we have a forum here to discuss spirituality. If you do not believe is the spiritual, then go peddle your nonsense in the science forum, where you will be right at home with the other non-believers.
    Oh I do apologise. I thought the forum was for discussing all forms of spirituality, not just your narrow version of it. Local forum for local bigots eh?

As I said before, I won't learn anything here and you clearly aren't capable of learning so I'll leave you in peace. Good day to you sir and may your god go with you.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 13:57
    Oh I do apologise. I thought the forum was for discussing all forms of spirituality, not just your narrow version of it. Local forum for local bigots eh?

As I said before, I won't learn anything here and you clearly aren't capable of learning so I'll leave you in peace. Good day to you sir and may your god go with you.
    Jesus said, “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."
    (Matthew 7:13-14 NASB)
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 15:44
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Why don't you read John and Luke for the approximate birth date of Jesus. John the Baptist was born near the end of March (Aries) and he was 6 months older than Jesus (Libra). Jesus was born near the end of September... [text shortened]...
    Have you ever celebrated your birthday on a day that was not when you were actually born? For me personally, this is how I see Christmas, a day that we celebrate the birth of Christ. I think we don't know the exact day he was born, but that is not important (IMO). It is just a day set aside for celebrations and rememberance.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jan '13 17:37
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    Have you ever celebrated your birthday on a day that was not when you were actually born? For me personally, this is how I see Christmas, a day that we celebrate the birth of Christ. I think we don't know the exact day he was born, but that is not important (IMO). It is just a day set aside for celebrations and rememberance.
    A good way to look at it IMO. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:20
    It is God, not god. And I did not say God had to be constantly fiddling about with His creation. Some of us have said that the evolutionist type scientist claim to know more than they can possibly know. They speculate and make wild guesses and claim it is science. Your near certainity is only in your distorted mind that was caused by the lies of the athe ...[text shortened]... ur nonsense in the science forum, where you will be right at home with the other non-believers.
    Science and belief are not mutually exclusive.

Maybe someday when you grok this, your eyes will be opened.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 14:23
    Jesus said, “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."
    (Matthew 7:13-14 NASB)
    I have this on a poster and I think about this when I start complaining that something is "too hard".
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 16:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Science and belief are not mutually exclusive.

Maybe someday when you grok this, your eyes will be opened.
    I understand already. However, I see no part in reality for the evolution lie, my dear. 😏
  14. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 18:48
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Life is a mirror, I just hold it up to society.
    Sometimes they don't like what they see.

I am merely pointing that out.

I am not trying to offend anyone.

I don't know if there is a GOD.

I do know however that there are so many different religions
    and even different branches within the same religion all squabbling
    and fighting and m ...[text shortened]... 't believe any of them have got it right.

Too many contradictions and not enough evidence.
    I like your honesty about what you said that you don't know if there is a God. Few not believing can say that.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 19:09
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    I like your honesty about what you said that you don't know if there is a God. Few not believing can say that.
    I think you'll find that most people who don't follow a particular faith accept the possibility that there may be a creator or god of some sort.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree