1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 14:48
    So I was listening to my selected songs from the soundtrack of "jesus Christ Superstar" and a couple lines from a song got me thinking.

The song is "Damned for all time/blood money."

A little synopsis, Judas is singing to Caiaphas, and Annas as he prepares to betray Jesus for the 30 pieces of silver :

"I came because I had to; I'm the one who saw.
    Jesus can't control it like he did before.
    And furthermore I know that Jesus thinks so too.
    Jesus wouldn't mind that I was here with you. <----
    I have no thought at all about my own reward.
    I really didn't come here of my own accord.
    Just don't say I'm ... damned for all time."

Now while I don't agree with Judas that Jesus was losing control, I will admit that Judas may have felt that way. The line that I arrowed is the one that got me thinking. Jesus knew what Judas was doing, and he did'nt mind. I know it's not a biblical reference, but I think this line in this song shows something about Jesus that a lot of us tend to overlook. Jesus was always forgiving, even to those who would betray him. Even took to eating his last supper with the very one that would betray him to the pharisees. To Jesus this was'nt a problem.

He spent most of life trying to help the poor and bring messages of peace and love to those around him. We should remember this.

As I browse the spirituality forum I notice very little of this is actually spoken of. We have the old tired creationism vs evolution debate going strong. We have the God is not logical debate going strong. We have many arguments about religion and Christianity going here, but we don't seem to have any interpretation of the love and compassion that Jesus tried to share with the world around him.

I will try to bring more thoughts on this later.

Nyxie
  2. London
    Moves
    04 Jun '05 16:312 edits
    "The modern world is not evil; in some ways the modern world is far too good. It is full of wild and wasted virtues. When a religious scheme is shattered ..., it is not merely the vices that are let loose. ... But the virtues are let loose also; and the virtues wander more wildly and the virtues do more terrible damage. ... Thus some humanitarians only care for pity; and their pity ... if often untruthful. For example, Mr Blatchford attacks Christianity because he is mad on one Christian virtue: the merely mystical and almost irrational virtue of charity (LH: or love. The etymology of charity is, after all, [i]caritas - the Latin word for love)[/i]. He has a strange idea that he will make it easier to forgive sins by saying that there are no sins to forgive. ... his mercy would mean mere anarchy."

- Chesterton. Orthodoxy. pp.18-19.
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 12:09
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    So I was listening to my selected songs from the soundtrack of "jesus Christ Superstar" and a couple lines from a song got me thinking.

The song is "Damned for all time/blood money."

A little synopsis, Judas is singing to Caiaphas, and Annas as he prepares to betray Jesus for the 30 pieces of silver :

"I came because I had to; I'm the one who sa ...[text shortened]... to share with the world around him.

I will try to bring more thoughts on this later.

Nyxie
    Judas thought that JESUS was going to free Israel from Roman rule at that time. He completely did not understand the mission of CHRIST. He made the mistake that many of us make. We look at GOD in the way that we want HIM to be. Not at the way HE says he HE is.
    You are right JESUS was not the problem Judas/man was/is the problem.
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 12:18
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    "The modern world is not evil; in some ways the modern world is far too good. It is full of wild and wasted virtues. When a religious scheme is shattered ..., it is not merely the vices that are let loose. ... But the virtues are let loose also; and the virtues wander more wildly and the virtues do more terrible damage. ... Thus some humanitarians on ...[text shortened]... o forgive. ... his mercy would mean mere anarchy."

- Chesterton. Orthodoxy. pp.18-19.
    The faith in GOD will never be shattered, in the live of those that truly believe in the Salvation that is being offered by JESUS CHRIST.
  5. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    ... we don't seem to have any interpretation of the love and compassion that Jesus tried to share with the world around him...
    But then the Bible tells of Jesus angrily driving the moneylenders from the temple. Also, wasn't there a fig tree that was out of season when he walked by, such that he couldn't instantly gratify his hunger, and so he burned it to death in frustration?

Could it be that Jesus had a character similar to that of modern prophets like Joseph Smith, David Koresh and Jim Jones?
  6. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Jun '05 20:331 edit
    I toured with JC Superstar (too long ago ... *sniffle*)
    One time a group of very religious types told us they would disrupt the show if it was disrespectful.
    Well, they didn't, so I guess it wasn't.
    We invited them backstage after, had a chat, they were nice folks.

EDIT One too many "nices" removed

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree