1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 04:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Of course.

You must know much more about what they believe not just the title the claim.
    So if you self-identify as a Christian, and believe in Christian doctrine, you reckon it's just meaningless and irrelevant, and I shouldn't take you at your word?
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 07:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    So if you self-identify as a Christian, and believe in Christian doctrine, you reckon it's just meaningless and irrelevant, and I shouldn't take you at your word?
    It is easy to talk the talk. Not all Christians practice what they preach.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 10:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Christian doctrine?

What is that?

What people claim to be Christianity is really a relationship with God. Some Christians have one some Christians do not. Some are no different than non Christians.

So what is in a self proclaimed title? Nothing
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 10:35
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    What some Christians teach is a ticket to hell. Not all Christians teach the same message.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 10:38
    It's also easy for Christians to cliche the cliche. But it doesn't mean what they preach has any traction.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 10:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's also easy for Christians to cliche the cliche. But it doesn't mean what they preach has any traction.
    Sure, but how would you know if what they preach has any traction, depending on what you mean by 'traction'?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 11:141 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Christianity and Islam are similar in that they are both evangelic type religions, Judaism not so much.

Islam and Judaism are similar in that they believe that eternal life can be obtained via good works alone, there is no atonement for sin other than your good works. Neither believe that Jesus was the Son of God who is there atonement for sin.

Judaism ...[text shortened]... about God's kingdom through government and Sharia law. This means military conquest if need be.
    But the fact they are all full of shyte doesn't mean much, eh.

Those three religions, all versions of one religion, have caused more suffering than most of the wars of humanity. It will be good riddence when humanity shucks the shackles of organized religion.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 11:423 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Those three religions, all versions of one religion, have caused more suffering than most of the wars of humanity. It will be good riddence when humanity shucks the shackles of organized religion.
    Jesus said, "Love your enemies...","Love your neighbor as you love yourself". Even if people fought in the name of Christianity I don't think Jesus would approve of their behavior. Can't say that about the other two...
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 11:50
    Sure, but how would you know if what they preach has any traction, depending on what you mean by 'traction'?
    I'd define "traction" as credibility in this instance.
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 11:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd define "traction" as credibility in this instance.
    But 'credibility' as you use it, is such a relative term, since what I find to be credible you may not find credible. The tough question is how do you know that what you find credible, is true and what you don't find credible, is not true?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 12:371 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Christianity was a relatively benign religion before Constantine subverted it and turned it into a statist religion. Constantine was not even a Christian.

For hundreds of years, Christians met in homes peaceably to worship while being thrown to the lions by governments around the world.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 12:54
    But 'credibility' as you use it, is such a relative term, since what I find to be credible you may not find credible.
    So we find different things credible and not credible. So what?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 12:58
    Christian doctrine?

What is that?

What people claim to be Christianity is really a relationship with God.
    The ideology that posits that "to be Christian is really a relationship with God" is a doctrine or set of doctrines. So, "doctrine" in the conventional sense of the word. Why, were you hoping to use it in some idiosyncratic way by which only other religions have "doctrine" and Christianity doesn't?
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 13:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    So we find different things credible and not credible. So what?
    So are we 'both right' or is one of us wrong?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 13:00
    Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

They are terms that mran different things to different people.
    So is it "meaningless" and "irrelevant" to you that most people living in Israel are Jews, most people in Syria are Muslims, and most people in, say, Italy are Christians?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree