1. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 06:52
    Is the word "dishonest" rude or crass, or crude, or insulting.......just asking because it is found in much printed material such as newspapers, magazines, children's books, religious books etc...........and it is spoken on TV and in the movie,s, in the home, in the church, in parliament, in school and all over, so just asking.
  2. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 08:051 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Is the word "dishonest" rude or crass, or crude, or insulting.......just asking because it is found in much printed material such as newspapers, magazines, children's books, religious books etc...........and it is spoken on TV and in the movie,s, in the home, in the church, in parliament, in school and all over, so just asking.
    When it is used correctly in context in can be none of those things.

Using it correctly in context is something that you have failed dismally to do.
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 08:33
    Originally posted by nook7
    When it is used correctly in context in can be none of those things.

Using it correctly in context is something that you have failed dismally to do.
    Would you then agree that..... manipulation, exaggeration, word play, false representation, incorrect comments, false comments, avoiding the facts, rejecting the facts, twisting the facts, avoiding to answer direct questions..........are different tactics employed to conceal dishonesty?
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 09:13
    Would you then agree that..... manipulation, exaggeration, word play, false representation, incorrect comments, false comments, avoiding the facts, rejecting the facts, twisting the facts, avoiding to answer direct questions..........are different tactics employed to conceal dishonesty?
    Yes , of course they can be.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 10:38
    In the past, you yourself have systematically and seemingly deliberately misused words like "manipulation", "exaggeration", "word play", "false representation", "incorrect comments", "false comments", "avoiding the facts", "rejecting the facts" and "twisting the facts", to mention but a few.

In fact your inability to communicate respectfully got so bad you had to denounce your own behaviour, change your screen name from vishvahetu to Dasa after apologising to everybody, and start afresh.

One of your infamous, defining vishvahetu traits was to avoid answering direct questions and then accuse those asking them of "word play" and "dishonesty". It got so bad that you became perhaps the most reviled member of this community.

But you've put all that behind you now. So that's good.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:07
    I think you butter it up to much. Why not just say lie, or lying.
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:23
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I think you butter it up to much. Why not just say lie, or lying.
    I have instructed you before about the difference between a lie and being dishonest.

Why do you reject knowledge.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:23
    The word 'dishonest' is just a word. People are rude, crass, and insulting.

A rude, crass, and insulting person can be dishonest, or they can be dishonest while being quite polite.

Even an honest person can be rude.

The world is a jumbled up mess. Trying to make sense of it can be very bewildering.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:31
    I have instructed you before about the difference between a lie and being dishonest.

I lie is a lie no matter what. If I don't pay taxes and someone asks and I say I did I am lying not being dishonest.
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 15:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    The word 'dishonest' is just a word. [b]People are rude, crass, and insulting.

A rude, crass, and insulting person can be dishonest, or they can be dishonest while being quite polite.

Even an honest person can be rude.

The world is a jumbled up mess. Trying to make sense of it can be very bewildering.[/b]
    I will say it again......dishonesty can be ...manipulation, presenting ambiguous statements, twisting meanings, rejecting common sense, rejecting universal truths, presenting incorrect statements, watering down truth, watering down error, word games, not saying something, hiding true meaning...and so on.

A lie is a clear cut statement......and means you knowingly present error in place of truth.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 13:45
    I will say it again......dishonesty can be ...manipulation, presenting ambiguous statements, twisting meanings, rejecting common sense, rejecting universal truths, presenting incorrect statements, watering down truth, watering down error, word games, not saying something, hiding true meaning...and so on.

A lie is a clear cut statement......and means you knowingly present error in place of truth.
    Who do you think you are? Noah Webster?

I, nor anyone else in this forum needs you to define the meanings of words.

We're not as stupid as you think we are.

What will eventually come as a shock to you is how transparent you really are to all of us here.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 15:23
    Certain words are inherently rude ie they are words that are used almost exclusively with the aim of shocking, insulting or otherwise upsetting the listener. Such words (often called swear words) are the ones that are less likely to appear in children's books or spoken on TV (though it seems to me that they are more popular in movies than in daily life but maybe I just come from a polite part of the world).

However, any word if used with the intent to shock, insult or otherwise upset the listener can be rude or insulting - so can a whole sentence rather than individual words.

If you tell someone they are being dishonest, you are typically saying that they are deliberately attempting to deceive, and in most cases that is rude. It is a sign of disrespect to refuse to trust someones word. It is an even greater sign of disrespect to claim to know what someone else is thinking, or intends even when they deny it.

You apparently believe that everyone here is deliberately lying, deceiving and otherwise distorting the truth. That shows a lack of respect for us and thus is rude.

I can also assure you that you are quite seriously mistaken in most cases where you claim someone is being dishonest. I significant proportion of the posters you have accused of dishonesty were being perfectly honest. They may have been wrong, but at least they believed what they said.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 15:42
    Often people don't twist the facts as much as they search for cases where a claim implied to hold true for all cases leads to absurdity. This is where your former alias would have accused people of cheating, or word juggling (forget exactly how you phrased it).
    Often when people fail to answer the questions you pose with a yes-no answer, it is because we see a problem with its structure that can be illuminated if we recast it and throw it back at you, moreover, many of such questions can be loaded so to suggest we assert things we don't. This is where your former alias would have accused us of being dishonest etc...
    Often when people assert some statement X that is contrary to what you feel should be common sense (like every component of the universe has some sort of underlying intelligence), we do actually believe that X is true - and so we assert this. At this point your former alias would have called us dishonest so to insinuate that we actually believe X is not true but are asserting the opposite to defend some other proposition that depends on X being true.
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 21:22

You remind me of a the religious leaders think that you can have eternal life through your knowledge that you know.
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Feb '11 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    You remind me of a the religious leaders think that you can have eternal life through your knowledge that you know.
    Transcendental knowledge destroys illusion and bewilderment, and if one remains in illusion and is bewildered then there is no question of knowing and loving God.

Everyone is already eternal, because eternal is the nature of the spiritual soul and that can never change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree