1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 19:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Is lack of information justification enough (they might have WMDs).

The fact that a large number of Americans (more than 50% ?) supported the war in Iraq but no longer do suggests that they did not realize the consequences.

Why do important figures appear to have a greater 'right to life'? Sadam Huseins death cause more uproar internationally than a ...[text shortened]... ns who died even though Sadam was tried and executed where as the civilians are just executed.
    You forget that many of these people were tried. It just happened not to be to 'Western' standards. How can 'we' say that was not just? Also how do you know they were 'innocent'?
  2. Joined
    05 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 22:24
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    ...but only just.

Does anyone on this forum think that it is NOT acceptable, under ANY circumstances, to kill another human being?
    if god tell him to......
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 22:29
    Originally posted by crazyfox
    if god tell him to......
    are you saying

'If God tells someone to kill another human being, that is acceptable'?
  4. Joined
    05 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 22:33
    are you saying

'If God tells someone to kill another human being, that is acceptable'?
    i'm not saying that, i said that cause so many wars was found over god.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 06:38
    You forget that many of these people were tried. It just happened not to be to 'Western' standards. How can 'we' say that was not just? Also how do you know they were 'innocent'?
    I know they were innocent because I said so. I was referring directly to those that were innocent. Unless you are saying that every single person who died in Iraq due to the war has been guilty of a crime deserving death.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 23:071 edit
    I know they were innocent because I said so. I was referring directly to those that were innocent. Unless you are saying that every single person who died in Iraq due to the war has been guilty of a crime deserving death.
    you realise that 'because I said so' is not really concrete evidence?

The point I was trying to make is that no-one on this thread has stated that killing is not acceptable under any circumstances. That means that the only differential is the reasons that someone would accept killing. Some might say abortion is wrong, but self defence is OK. Others would say that to protect the country is acceptable, others to protect the king/queen, others that attack is a form of defence and acceptable; Apostates should be killed say others..... the list goes on. Who is going to judge them and say who is right?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 00:19

The point I was trying to make is that no-one on this thread has stated that killing is not acceptable under any circumstances. That means that the only differential is the reasons that someone would accept killing. Some might say abortion is wrong, but self defence is OK. Others ...[text shortened]... d be killed say others..... the list goes on. Who is going to judge them and say who is right?
    Okay, I'll say it. Killing is not acceptable under any circumstances.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 07:40
    I didn't say it was evidence. What I said was that some people must necessarily have been innocent and I was referring to them in particular. I don't think that anyone with even basic intelligence can claim that a 5 year old Iraqi child deserved to die even if the death was still considered 'necessary' for the greater good. Therefore the child was innocent. All I was saying is that there is more international outcry over the death of important figures such as Saddam Husein than over the death of 5 year old Iraqi children.
    I personally believe that if the USA had truly just wanted to get rid of Saddam Husein then a well trained snipper could have done the job without the need for a war. But that is considered less 'politically acceptable' than killing thousands of civilians.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 07:55
    I didn't say it was evidence. What I said was that some people must necessarily have been innocent and I was referring to them in particular. I don't think that anyone with even basic intelligence can claim that a 5 year old Iraqi child deserved to die even if the death was still considered 'necessary' for the greater good. Therefore the child was innocen ...[text shortened]... But that is considered less 'politically acceptable' than killing thousands of civilians.
    I am sure Hussein had precautions against snipers. Otherwise he'd have been popped by some Kurd long ago I imagine.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 09:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I am sure Hussein had precautions against snipers. Otherwise he'd have been popped by some Kurd long ago I imagine.
    There is a difference between a Kurd snipper and the American arsenal. I do not believe that at no point before the war did the US ever know exactly where Saddam Husein was. A well placed missile would have done the job.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 09:451 edit
    There is a difference between a Kurd snipper and the American arsenal. I do not believe that at no point before the war did the US ever know exactly where Saddam Husein was. A well placed missile would have done the job.
    A well placed missile is not a sniper. Nor is it a snipper.

Wait - what's a "snipper"?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 09:52
    Believe what you want, but killing a head of state with a conventional (i.e. non-nuclear) missile fired from hundreds or thousands of miles away is a difficult task.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 10:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Believe what you want, but killing a head of state with a conventional (i.e. non-nuclear) missile fired from hundreds or thousands of miles away is a difficult task.
    I realize that a single sniper may not be the best method, but don't believe that the American military could not have killed Saddam Husein. There are many ways to go about it including a well placed missile/bomb from an aircraft, a AUV, or even sending in a commando unit.
    Whatever the case it would have been possible to kill Saddam Hussein (and possibly some of his key generals) at far lest financial cost and loss of life than the current war.
    However as politics, controlling the oil fields and making some money were the real reasons behind the war it wasn't done that way.
  14. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 19:22
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I'll say it, too. Killing is not acceptable under any circumstances.
  15. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 21:56
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    well done. I am proud of you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree