1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 14:501 edit
    Just wondering...

When an atheist goes to court, does he or she have to swear on the Bible?

😉
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:24
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Just wondering...

😉[/b]
    I have no idea on this, since it's not in my experience at all.

I would think they would make provision for swearing on whatever holy book you want to use, perhaps even none at all.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:28
    "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and not in a sneaky relativistic way ?"
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:37
    Originally posted by jaywill
    "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and not in a sneaky relativistic way ?"
    I think there is a version that goes 'Do you swear or AFFIRM to tell the truth, yada yada yada. I don't think the hands on the bible thing is used anywhere anymore. Might be mistaken on that, maybe in the bible belt.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:541 edit
    [b]Just wondering...

😉[/b]
    2) In libraries, are various translations of the Bible categorized on shelves in the fiction or non-fiction section?

gb
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 16:01
    [b]2) In libraries, are various translations of the Bible categorized on shelves in the fiction or non-fiction section?

gb[/b]
    Reference section, along with dictionaries and encyclopedias.

I believe the libraries here also put them under Religion, which is where I'd expect to find them.

I just looked it up. Under the Dewey Decimal System, Religion is 200-299, and the Bible is specifically 220-229.

Fiction is under Literature, which is 800-899.

Why the sudden trolling? Feeling your oats today?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 16:16
    [b]Just wondering...

😉[/b]
    In the past it would be required. However, tolerance is the word today.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 16:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Reference section, along with dictionaries and encyclopedias.

I believe the libraries here also put them under Religion, which is where I'd expect to find them.

I just looked it up. Under the Dewey Decimal System, Religion is 200-299, and the Bible is specifically 220-229.

Fiction is under Literature, which is 800-899.

Why the sudden trolling? Feeling your oats today?
    Hi, Suzianne.

Thanks for the facts. Is intentional trolling defined as getting typecast as a socially inept poster wishing to maliciously flout internet social boundaries or is that sort of labeling simply a convenient way to dismiss any individual who rejects groupthink?

gb
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 16:471 edit
    No; in the UK they can use: "I do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth the whole truth and not but the truth"

Instead of: "I swear by almighty God the evidence....."

I would use the former even though I am a theist.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 18:061 edit
    #3) If the claims of an 'evolutionary process' are to be taken seriously, why on earth did basic standards of personal hygiene and the upgrade of open latrines and flowing ditches in the street to outhouses and indoor plumbing require so much more time to evolve than fire and chess and the wheel? #4) Why was Socrate's no-nonsense method of questioning so threatening to the status quo?

gb
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 18:24
    [b]Just wondering...

😉[/b]
    They have athiest swear on cancer for their household I think?
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 18:27
    [b]Just wondering...

😉[/b]
    even more important, does a christian have to even though it goes against their very faith?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 18:46
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    even more important, does a christian have to even though it goes against their very faith?
    "The primary rule of life: Relax." -VoidSpirit

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."
    -Shakespeare, Hamlet, Polonius

Me likey.

gb
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 19:57
    [b]#3) If the claims of an 'evolutionary process' are to be taken seriously, why on earth did basic standards of personal hygiene and the upgrade of open latrines and flowing ditches in the street to outhouses and indoor plumbing require so much more time to evolve than fire and chess and the wheel? #4) Why was Socrate's no-nonsense method of questioning so threatening to the status quo?

gb[/b]
    Socrates' use of the elenchus wasn't particularly threatening; it was just annoying. That's why he considered himself a gadfly. It wasn't until the kids started following him around and imitating his style with their parents, and the priests and politicians, that Socrates was brought up on trumped up charges of atheism, corrupting the youth, and "making the worse appear the better" argument.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 20:351 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Socrates' use of the elenchus wasn't particularly threatening; it was just annoying. That's why he considered himself a gadfly. It wasn't until the kids started following him around and imitating his style with their parents, and the priests and politicians, that Socrates was brought up on trumped up charges of atheism, corrupting the youth, and "making the worse appear the better" argument.
    Well then I stand corrected, bbar. Guess my erroneously held view was that the early Socratic Method involved a primary premise followed by a secondary conclusion format of surgical questioning which invariably exposed the pontificator's claimed position of truth as falsehood. In this context, notions of bogus blowhards becoming annoyed or threatened seemed quite logical.

gb

P.S. Nice to see you again, bbar. Trust you and your family are well and prospering and enjoying many days of autumn sunshine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree