1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 10:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. Nothing of the sort, as I think you know only too well. Go back to that thread and take another look.
    So if you could not refrain from doing certain sins in the past what makes you think you can stop with them now?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 10:13
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    So if you could not refrain from doing certain sins in the past what makes you think you can stop with them now?
    Take it to the thread I started about it.
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 10:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Take it to the thread I started about it.
    Done.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 15:32
    Analysing them based on what?
    It depends on what they are. Your are like a little child that just keeps saying 'why?' whilst ignoring the answers. You want specific answers to vague hypotheticals. It is not possible to give a specific answer. That does not mean that analysing them would not be possible or unreliable.
    Your question is similar to asking 'how do you solve a math problem?'. It depends on the math problem. I realise you think that asking the question implies nobody can do math, but that is stupid.
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 16:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It depends on what they are. Your are like a little child that just keeps saying 'why?' whilst ignoring the answers. You want specific answers to vague hypotheticals. It is not possible to give a specific answer. That does not mean that analysing them would not be possible or unreliable.
    Your question is similar to asking 'how do you solve a math problem ...[text shortened]... em. I realise you think that asking the question implies nobody can do math, but that is stupid.
    Ok here is a specific question, what in your mind would qualify as sufficient justification for a belief in God?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 17:03
    In one of the other threads LJ made the following claim: it is reasonable to expect that in attempting to justify that belief in God, they ought to be able to point to something other than a lame appeal to consequences regarding perfect justice (or lack thereof).

From this claim I gather that LJ was claiming to know exactly what the justifica ...[text shortened]... knew.

He has not responded to my post. So I open this up to anyone else for their thoughts.
    Trying to follow you here.
    What is 'reasonable' for beliefs with respect to consequences and justice.
    You are attempting to say if someone denies justification due some reason, that reason
    shows his rational has some standard he/she looks at when making that judgment call?

There more here or did I miss your point?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 17:26
    Ok here is a specific question, what in your mind would qualify as sufficient justification for a belief in God?
    Something that was convincing.
    Sorry, but that really isn't a specific question. Its equivalent to asking 'what in your mind would qualify as a satisfactory way of working out a math problem?'.
    Its a generic virtually unanswerable question. And why are you asking anyway?
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 18:02
    Something that was convincing.
    Sorry, but that really isn't a specific question. Its equivalent to asking 'what in your mind would qualify as a satisfactory way of working out a math problem?'.
    Its a generic virtually unanswerable question. And why are you asking anyway?
    You know as well as I do that someone else might find something convincing that you don't. What makes you right and them wrong?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 18:08
    You know as well as I do that someone else might find something convincing that you don't. What makes you right and them wrong?
    It depends on the situation. Usually such things can be resolved by discussion. With religion however, people lie about what they believe and why they believe it so discussion rarely gets very far.
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 18:13
    It depends on the situation. Usually such things can be resolved by discussion. With religion however, people lie about what they believe and why they believe it so discussion rarely gets very far.
    How would you know that someone was lying about what they believe?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 19:09
    There is some support for the idea that we form our beliefs faster than we are aware of forming them. Malcolm Gladwell has written about this. If true, this means we are not aware of all the assumptions and beliefs that go into our thinking. This puts all these demands for justification at some question.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 20:04
    How would you know that someone was lying about what they believe?
    Usually when what they say doesn't add up. Lies are often quite obvious (not always).
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 08:50
    Usually when what they say doesn't add up. Lies are often quite obvious (not always).
    Add up to the correct answer right? But if you don't know the correct answer how do you know that it doesn't add up?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 09:52
    Add up to the correct answer right?
    No, add up at all. If someone keeps contradicting themselves, then you know they don't really believe what they are saying. Also if they use obviously bad logic or flawed arguments to support what they are saying then it is highly suspect.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 12:10
    I just wanted it to be clear that you were not disputing anything LJ said but rather the people he was discussing.

[b]If there are Christians running around who claim their justification for their faith is merely some kind of fear of God's judgement, then that is some spectacularly weak faith.

It would appear you have not understood what LJ said. ...[text shortened]... faith but rather post justification for something they have difficulty explaining or justifying.[/b]
    Fair enough. I had not read that thread, I was only reacting to this one, and FMJ's question about others, who perhaps hadn't responded in that thread. I was only speaking on 'justification for belief' as regards my own belief.

I agree there are some with weak faith. I often encounter them, but most people I encounter with weak faith have reason for it; they live in 'the world' and are often beaten down by both it and 'the man'. But this doesn't also naysay the fact that daily I encounter people who, under similar circumstances, have a strong faith. I often try to bring these two people together, since strong faith can bolster weak faith, in the right circumstances. It is much, much more rare for weak faith to bring down strong faith.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree