1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:10
    Originally posted by @fmf
    To me, the very notion of "sin" ~ i.e. trangressions of the supposedly revealed will of a supernatural being as defined by an ancient mythology and a cult of personality that sprung from it ~ would be antithetical to good government.
    Can you cite a practical example?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:201 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Can you cite a practical example?
    Well, you know what "sin" is and you know what "sins" are. If some Christian notions of "sin" were translated into laws it would be bad law and bad government in my book.

Take the ten commandments for example. These ones would be unacceptable if the government incorporated them into the legal code or its self-justification or into its purported 'moral reach'...

Thou shalt have no other gods before me, Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy, Honour thy father and thy mother, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not covet (various things).

These things are none of the government's business.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:38
    Well, you know what "sin" is and you know what "sins" are. If some Christian notions of "sin" were translated into laws it would be bad law and bad government in my book.

Take the ten commandments for example. These ones would be unacceptable if the government incorporated them into the legal code or its self-justification or into its purported 'moral reach ...[text shortened]... , Thou shalt not covet (various things).

These things are none of the government's business.
    Do you have anything from the New Testament? Christianity is based on the New Testament.

The key difference between the Old Testament, which you referenced, and the New Testament is that people are no longer made righteous (in right standing with God) by trying to follow the law and sacrificing animals because they fail. They are now made righteous by believing in Jesus Christ and accepting Him into their hearts.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:40
    Do you have anything from the New Testament? Christianity is based on the New Testament.
    Well if you don't think the ten commandments ~ or at least those that I cited above ~ form part of "Christian values" then so be it.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:43
    The key difference between the Old Testament, which you referenced, and the New Testament is that people are no longer made righteous (in right standing with God) by trying to follow the law and sacrificing animals because they fail. They are now made righteous by believing in Jesus Christ and accepting Him into their hearts.
    This kind of stuff too is none of the government's business.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:52
    This kind of stuff too is none of the government's business.
    Nobody said it was. It’s a personal decision and Jesus never taught acceptance of Him by force.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:55
    Nobody said it was. It’s a personal decision and Jesus never taught acceptance of Him by force.
    Well, what did it have to do with the post of mine you were replying to?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:55
    Well if you don't think the ten commandments ~ or at least those that I cited above ~ form part of "Christian values" then so be it.
    They are but one does not become righteous (in right standing with God) by following them. That happens when one accepts, of his or her own accord, Jesus Christ into their heart.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:56
    They are but one does not become righteous (in right standing with God) by following them. That happens when one accepts, of his or her own accord, Jesus Christ into their heart.
    Well, once again, this kind of superstitious Christian stuff too is none of the government's business.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:57
    Well, what did it have to do with the post of mine you were replying to?
    Nobody said it was the government’s business, nor does Christianity teach it’s the government’s business. You set up a straw man.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:58
    Well, once again, this kind of superstitious Christian stuff too is none of the government's business.
    You’re obfuscating and retreating into ambiguity.

I expect the pool whizzing to start anytime now.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 13:59
    Maybe somebody can come up with a Christian teaching or value that would not be considered good in government practice.
    I've given you several examples and your non-sequitur follow up posts suggest that you don't even remember what you asked people to come up with.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 14:13
    I've given you several examples and your non-sequitur follow up posts suggest that you don't even remember what you asked people to come up with.
    You gave me examples from the Old Testament when people were made righteous (in right standing with God) by following the law.

I asked for examples from Christianity; specifically its foundational text, which is the New Testament.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 14:16
    You gave me examples from the Old Testament when people were made righteous (in right standing with God) by following the law.

I asked for examples from Christianity; specifically its foundational text, which is the New Testament.
    The Ten Commandments are "Christian values".
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 14:48
    The Ten Commandments are "Christian values".
    But how does one embrace those values? It’s not by their own effort. It’s through accepting Jesus Christ into one’s heart, and, because that has to be a sincere acceptance, it cannot be compelled by the government or any other entity or person.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree