1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 14:56
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    But how does one embrace those values? It’s not by their own effort. It’s through accepting Jesus Christ into one’s heart, and, because that has to be a sincere acceptance, it cannot be compelled by the government or any other entity or person.
    Such Christian values are none of the government's business. And government has no business trying to base itself on such Christian values. So much for your request on page 1.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:04
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Such Christian values are none of the government's business. And government has no business trying to base itself on such Christian values. So much for your request on page 1.
    Compelling someone to accept Jesus Christ by force goes against Christianity.

You’re focusing on behavior; Christianity is about a changed heart that leads to changed behavior. You have to first have the changed heart and that has to be accomplished through the voluntary acceptance of Christ - not forced by the government or anyone else.

Someone who follows the law without accepting Christ into his or her heart and without believing God raised Him from the dead is not a Christian.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:10
    Compelling someone to accept Jesus Christ by force goes against Christianity.

You’re focusing on behavior; Christianity is about a changed heart that leads to changed behavior. You have to first have the changed heart and that has to be accomplished through the voluntary acceptance of Christ - not forced by the government or anyone else.

Someone wh ...[text shortened]... ist into his or her heart and without believing God raised Him from the dead is not a Christian.
    Christian values such as these you are none of the government's business. Your request on page 1 has been answered.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:14
    Christian values such as these you are none of the government's business. Your request on page 1 has been answered.
    I guess we just have to agree to disagree but I appreciate your input.

Thanks!
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:20
    I honestly don’t see anything in the Christian religion that is antithetical to good government but I haven’t given it a lot of thought. Maybe somebody can come up with a Christian teaching or value that would not be considered good in government practice.
    1Timothy 2:11-13
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:231 edit
    1Timothy 2:11-13
    Interesting, but I believe those verses are only referencing positions in church and matters pertaining to doctrine.

Do you think they are referencing more than that?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:26
    Interesting, but I believe those verses are only referencing positions in church and matters pertaining to doctrine.

Do you think they are referencing more than that?
    I think they are "a Christian teaching or value that would not be considered good in government practice". That's what you asked for. I offered you most of Christianity's ten commandments too.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:28
    I think they are "a Christian teaching or value that would not be considered good in government practice". That's what you asked for. I offered you most of Christianity's ten commandments too.
    But the teaching, as I read it, pertains only to positions in church and in matters of doctrine.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:36
    But the teaching, as I read it, pertains only to positions in church and in matters of doctrine.
    Well it'd make as bad a basis for government as it does for the church. You say it's a Bible teaching that only pertains to the church. Which Bible teachings pertain to government?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:47
    Well it'd make as bad a basis for government as it does for the church. You say it's a Bible teaching that only pertains to the church. Which Bible teachings pertain to government?
    When you say “Bible,” do you mean the New Testament? Because that is the foundational text of Christianity.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:48
    <<Well it'd make as bad a basis for government as it does for the church.>>

Why do you think it’s a bad basis for the church?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:50
    When you say “Bible,” do you mean the New Testament? Because that is the foundational text of Christianity.
    I mean Christian values like those contained in the ten commandments, several of which I contended were none of government's business and would make a poor basis for governance.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:52
    <<Well it'd make as bad a basis for government as it does for the church.>>

Why do you think it’s a bad basis for the church?
    I see no credible justification for discriminating against women. It seems ludicrous that a supernatural being would require it to be so. Women make just as good leaders and teachers as men do.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:58
    I mean Christian values like those contained in the ten commandments, several of which I contended were none of government's business and would make a poor basis for governance.
    We already went over this. Please re-read what I previously wrote.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '18 15:59
    I see no credible justification for discriminating against women. It seems ludicrous that a supernatural being would require it to be so. Women make just as good leaders and teachers as men do.
    Do you think women are the same as men in their nature (i.e. not biologically?)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree