Karma baby!

Standard memberRemoved
Spirituality 31 Jul '17 13:13
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 13:13
    What is Karma? There seem to be a lot schools of thought throughout a number of philosophies that seem to go round in circles.

Buddhism - Intention (cetana) I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.

Sikhism - In Sikhism, all living beings are described as being under the influence of maya's three qualities. Always present together in varying mix and degrees, these three qualities of maya bind the soul to the body and to the earth plane.

Taoism - Every deed is tracked by deities and spirits. Appropriate rewards or retribution follow karma, just like a shadow follows a person.

Hinduism - Causality emerges from the interaction, actions and nature of things and people, determinative principles such as karma or God are unnecessary.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 21:13
    Originally posted by @christopher-albon
    What is Karma? There seem to be a lot schools of thought throughout a number of philosophies that seem to go round in circles.

Buddhism - Intention (cetana) I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.

Sikhism - In Sikhism, all living beings are described as being under the influence of maya's three qu ...[text shortened]... and nature of things and people, determinative principles such as karma or God are unnecessary.
    It's a pity Dasa is not still here.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 22:23
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    It's a pity Dasa is not still here.
    Why?
    You think he could've said anything constructive, or just for a laugh?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 22:26

Sikhism - In Sikhism, all living beings are described as being under the influence of maya's three qu ...[text shortened]... and nature of things and people, determinative principles such as karma or God are unnecessary.
    My understanding is that one should try to accumulate good karma and get rid of the bad. After that one should redistribute the good karma as well. ie. get rid of karma altogether.

As always this sounds pretty simplistic but the way it plays out practically is often bizarre and only known to the individual
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 22:46
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Why?
    You think he could've said anything constructive, or just for a laugh?
    Come come... Dasa!!
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Jul '17 23:40
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Come come... Dasa!!
    Oh it is for a laugh ... no probs.

(I hope you weren't trying to get me to 'channel' Dasa or something like that)
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 01:206 edits

If you want to understand karma it's best to go back as close to the original source as possible. In general current concepts about karma are a gross distortion, but it's not too difficult to surmise how it became perverted.

In general concepts about karma have become increasingly nonsensical. Originally karma was about self-conditioning. Basically you've conditioned yourself to become what you are. That's your "karma". It's important to understand that you can recondition yourself.

A common theme to theories of karma is its principle of causality.[17] One of the earliest association of karma to causality occurs in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad of Hinduism. For example, at 4.5.5-6, it states:
    Now as a man is like this or like that,
    according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be;
    a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad;
    he becomes pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds;

And here they say that a person consists of desires,
    and as is his desire, so is his will;
    and as is his will, so is his deed;
    and whatever deed he does, that he will reap.

Pasted from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma>

It's interesting to note that the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Eart have similarly become increasingly distorted and perverted over time. Just look at what "Christianity" has become: the "religious right", the "prosperity gospel", etc. Jesus would be appalled. He would also be appalled at concepts such as the propitiatory sacrifice of Jesus, imputed righteousness, man being unable to overcome sin through his own efforts, the total depravity of man, etc.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 02:23

What is karma?

Trump.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 03:45
    Originally posted by @whodey
    What is karma?

Trump.
    I think Sikhism attempts to understand it's nature the best in that it is three-fold. Past, present and future. In that light it maybe possible to instantly raise one's Karma by making an unerring devotion to bettering ones-self.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 01:55

Karma is BS!
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 03:36
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    Karma is BS!
    Bus Shaped?
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 07:42
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    Karma is BS!
    You'll pay for that,....in the next life.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 10:421 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    You'll pay for that,....in the next life.
    What goes around, comes around. 🙂
    The next life isn't Karma, its done, all accounts get settled.
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Aug '17 11:28
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    What goes around, comes around. 🙂
    The next life isn't Karma, its done, all accounts get settled.
    Speak for yourself sir. I'm coming back as a hamster with an inferiority complex.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree