If you have to ask, no.
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 11:35
    @ogb said
    Is Karma real?
    I have always felt that if Karma is real then it follows that reincarnation is also real .
    Neither can be proven or disproven .
    It requires faith , just like being a theist .
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 12:19
    @ogb said
    Is Karma real?
    some folks see karma as retribution for dirty deeds done dirt cheap
    that is not karma

karma is you seeing your own actions,
    and learning from them

in this sense, yes, karma is real
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 13:51
    @caissad4 said
    I have always felt that if Karma is real then it follows that reincarnation is also real .
    Not sure that I understand the connection between Karma and re-incarnation.. Please explain...TY
  7. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 13:57
    @ogb said
    Not sure that I understand the connection between Karma and re-incarnation.. Please explain...TY
    Karma is balance for effects created .
    If Karma is an absolute law of the universe then it follows that if you die without having "balanced" your Karma score to zero then you would need to be born again into another lifeform until balance is achieved . I believed in Karma for many years .
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 14:20
    @ogb said
    Is Karma real?
    'Karma" as it's commonly used today is the product of a series of misunderstandings of the original concept of karma. As it is commonly used today, "karma" is a lot of nonsense.

Similarly "the gospel" as it's commonly used today is the product of a series of misunderstandings of the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. As it is commonly used today, "the gospel" is a lot of nonsense.
  9. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 15:00
    @thinkofone said
    'Karma" as it's commonly used today is the product of a series of misunderstandings of the original concept of karma.
    My understanding is if you do something impolite or rude, you'll "get" bad karma. Or when you do something nice for someone, you'll "get" good Karma..I don't know where karma comes from..... the cosmos?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 15:292 edits
    @ogb said
    My understanding is if you do something impolite or rude, you'll "get" bad karma. Or when you do something nice for someone, you'll "get" good Karma..I don't know where karma comes from..... the cosmos?
    From what I gather, the original concept of karma was stated in the following:
    Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 4.4.5-6 
    Now as a man is like this or like that, 
    according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be: 
    a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad. 
    He becomes pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds. 
    And here they say that a person consists of desires. 
    And as is his desire, so is his will; 
    and as is his will, so is his deed; 
    and whatever deed he does, that he will reap. 

Essentially the concept is that the mind (unconscious) is conditioned by ones actions (and thoughts for that matter). As an example, craving for salt or sugar works this way. Some years ago I had pretty much cut out salty foods from my diet. About six months later work provided box lunches since we were working through. In it was a bag of potato chips. I took a bite of one and it was way too salty to even eat. I really wanted to spit it out. Prior to this I'd always really liked salty foods. I still have no desire for them. A friend of mine said that she had had a similar experience with sugar.

So the concept is that your mind becomes the result of self-conditioning. Thus "you reap what you sow" and "you make your own karma". This is the original concept of karma. Over time it morphed into something else entirely that doesn't really make sense. From what I gather, the concept of reincarnation was also tied into this.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 16:19
    @thinkofone said
    From what I gather, the original concept of karma was stated in the following:
    Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 4.4.5-6 
    Now as a man is like this or like that, 
    according as he acts and according as he behaves, so will he be: 
    a man of good acts will become good, a man of bad acts, bad. 
    He becomes pure by pure deeds, bad by bad deeds. 
    And here they say that a person consi ...[text shortened]... doesn't really make sense. From what I gather, the concept of reincarnation was also tied into this.
    This concept exists in all the Holy Books.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '19 16:30
    @rajk999 said
    “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Oct '19 12:37
    @rajk999 said
    Indeed.

'For whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.' (Galatians 6:7)
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Oct '19 13:28
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Indeed.

'For whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.' (Galatians 6:7)
    Interestingly Paul continues

For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. (Galatians 6:8 KJV)

Christians who promote OSAS apparently do not have this passage in their bible. Here Paul addresses Christian Saints in Christ, warning them that a life of fleshly living leads to damnation.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '19 16:472 edits
    @ogb said
    Is Karma real?
    He's real cuz he is my neighbor Joe Karma.

I joke all the time about making sure we treat him fairly.

I also suggest you all change your last name to Karma. It really does mess with ya.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree