killing in the name of

killing in the name of

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
hypothetical question #237

if god told you to kill a stranger, no questions asked, would you?
Let's have a little more fun with this one.

If God told you to kill your son, no questions asked, would you?
If God told you he was going to destroy a city full of evil people, would you plead with him not to do it?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Mar 12

hypothetical question #237

if god told you to kill a stranger, no questions asked, would you?
Mindless hypothetical question #1

If god told you to kill yourself, would you do it?

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by josephw
Mindless hypothetical question #1

If god told you to kill yourself, would you do it?
i dont think your question is mindless. i think its a very good question. my answer would be an easy - no!

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Let's have a little more fun with this one.

If God told you to kill your son, no questions asked, would you?
If God told you he was going to destroy a city full of evil people, would you plead with him not to do it?
no.
yes.

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Do you just push a button or do you have to hack away a someone for a few minutes?
no magic buttons, bare hands and blunt objects only.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
22 Mar 12

no magic buttons, bare hands and blunt objects only.
no sharp pointy things?

Moves
22 Mar 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
no sharp pointy things?
God likes people to be stoned because he's a sadist and likes them to suffer.

Moves
23 Mar 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
no sharp pointy things?
only if you are the guy off terminator2.

it seems really hard to get the religious element on here to answer hypothetical questions. why are atheists more comfortable with these types of discussions. if religion gives somebody a strong set of moral why fear expressing yourself. i can only guess, but im thinking many dont like how they would answer, so would rather not say.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Mar 12

only if you are the guy off terminator2.

it seems really hard to get the religious element on here to answer hypothetical questions. why are atheists more comfortable with these types of discussions. if religion gives somebody a strong set of moral why fear expressing yourself. i can only guess, but im thinking many dont like how they would answer, so would rather not say.
Hypothetical questions concerning speculating about something that is not true,
like evolution, which atheist are used to doing.

Moves
23 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
So god never asked anyone to go kill someone in the bible?

The point of a hypothetical is to explore possibilities and consequences in given situations
and while the hypothetical situation might not be real the information it can tell us about
your beliefs and decision making process can be.

P

Moves
23 Mar 12
1 edit

Hypothetical questions concerning speculating about something that is not true.
But the Bible says it happened, so although it is a hypothetical question, it is speculating about something that Christians believe did happen and therefore could happen again.

How about an answer RJ? If you truly believed that your God was asking you to do this, as he has done to others before, would you obey him?

--- Penguin.

Moves
23 Mar 12
1 edit

im not sure the relevance, hypothetical questions could be asked about any subject including evolution, so yes i would imagine atheists are very used to asking hypothetical questions, it helps figuring things out. i wont get drawn into arguing if the theory is of evolution is correct. i think there are several other posts dealing with that.

more importantly, give yourself a pat on the back rj. i think you are the only theist to give a straight answer so far. why do you think your fellow christians are reluctant to answer hypothetical questions? i cant imagine they would be ashamed of their answer, as they would think anything god asks is for a good reason, or is it because they would say 'no' to god? or do they think the question is some sort of theological trap?

P

Moves
23 Mar 12

Originally posted by Penguin
But the Bible says it happened, so although it is a hypothetical question, it is speculating about something that Christians believe did happen and therefore could happen again.

How about an answer RJ? If you truly believed that your God was asking you to do this, as he has done to others before, would you obey him?

--- Penguin.
Sorry RJ, just realised you are the one person who actually has answered the question. And your answer was scary to read. It's already been mentioned the kind of acts that this sort of mentality can lead to.

Penguin.

Moves
23 Mar 12

Originally posted by Penguin
Sorry RJ, just realised you are the one person who actually has answered the question. And your answer was scary to read. It's already been mentioned the kind of acts that this sort of mentality can lead to.

Penguin.
Well I think the logical follow-up question, particularly given RJHinds response is to ask...

"How can you tell the difference between god asking you to kill someone, or a hallucination of god asking you to kill someone?"

Given that you can hallucinate anything your mind is capable of comprehending I can only conclude that
it would be impossible to tell the difference.

Thus even if you do think morality does come from god, which is a damned idiotic idea. You would have to check
any suggested action 'god' instructs you to take against your own moral code and values, simply due to the possibility
that the 'god' giving you instruction is a hallucination. Which means that you would have to have a legitimate moral
reason for committing whatever act 'god' asked you to do independent of 'god' asking you to do it.

Which yet again removes any need or value to the existence or otherwise of god from any moral dilemma.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
23 Mar 12

Numbers 31:14 But Moses was angry with the officers of the army, with the captains over thousands and captains over hundreds, who had come from the battle.

15 And Moses said to them: “Have you kept all the women alive? 16 Look, these women caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the incident of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord. 17 Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known a man intimately. 18 But keep alive for yourselves all the young girls who have not known a man intimately.

So let's say you were an Israelite soldier and Moses [the leader appointed by God] commanded you to kill a bunch of defenseless women and children, and take the virgins for yourselves [basically rape them as you see fit]. Would you do it?