1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 06:06
    It has suddenly struck me—like a thought that you have long known you knew, but kept forgetting—that of the few things in this life that I actually know, there is only one that I know well enough and truly enough to be worth the effort and the attempt to share:

I just call it “the simple bliss of being.”

That is as far as I can go in describing it. If those words don’t sound any small bell of recognition in your consciousness, even if you would use different words, there is nothing I can do about it: I am not wise enough. If they do ring a bell, then you know.

This simple bliss might be manifest in, say, the song of a mockingbird, or the thrum of bees on a warm morning; or a scattering of stars in a midnight winter sky, or a thundering summer storm; or the face of the beloved; or the play of the passionate mind; or the simple drawing of a breath. But even in times of fear or frustration, in pain, or in maelstrom of grief—it abides, like a background radiance, a subterranean vibration, needing only a bit of vigilance to seep into awareness, needing only to be noticed, to not be forgotten... (And I have sometimes forgotten.)

I may not have stated that with philosophical or psychological correctness. No matter. That is how it seems to me.

It also seems to me to be of great worth: a discovery whose measure outstrips the cost and the hardships of the voyage; enough and more than enough; a pearl of great price. It is not mystical. It is not even special—just the simple bliss of being.

And so long as it abides, I choose to abide in it, to embrace it, to live it. I am going to take the time to once again allow it to soak more deeply into my consciousness.

I thank you all for a couple years of enjoyable argument and learning. I have no more arguments to make.

And when like her, oh Saki, you shall pass
    Among the Guests star-scattered on the Grass,
    And in your joyous errand reach the spot
    Where I made one—turn down an empty glass!

Tamam Shud

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 06:151 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    It has suddenly struck me—like a thought that you have long known you knew, but kept forgetting—that of the few things in this life that I actually know, there is only one that I know well enough and truly enough to be worth the effort and the attempt to share:

That is as far as I can go in describing it. If ...[text shortened]... ]Tamam Shud[/i]

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
    Wow, this is very ironic. I myself had been giving serious consideration to composing such a post announcing my retirement from Spirituality as well. It's all been said and done, and the returns have all but vanished.

You and your contributions will be missed. It is rare to come across clear thinking and clear writing in this forum, and your posts were always refreshing in that regard. Your posts regarding traditional Old Testament interpretations were particularly informative.

Alas, we must always abandon old ways and explore new territory if we are to make the most of life. One cannot haunt this typically worthless forum forever without wasting the most precious gift of all.

Here's to you and your future Spirituality, wherever you may find it.

Cheers.

Dr. S
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 06:26

That is as far as I can go in describing it. If ...[text shortened]... ]Tamam Shud[/i]

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
    Sad day today with you leaving.
    Kelly
  4. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 06:33
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Sad day today with you leaving.
    Kelly
    What is the sound of one wing flapping? :'( Is that rain?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 06:51
    take care Vistesd... take care. 🙂.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 07:041 edit
    If they do ring a bell, then you know.
    I do know. May you never lay the music aside again. But you'll be missed.

----------------------------------------------------------
    When all thoughts
    Are exhausted
    I slip into the woods
    And gather
    A pile of shepherd's purse.

Like the little stream
    Making its way
    Through the mossy crevices
    I, too, quietly
    Turn clear and transparent.

--Ryokan
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 04:33
    Reverend Kirksey, I was hoping you could say a few kind words for our dearly departed.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 05:141 edit

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
    I, like so many others, possess great respect for you. The dignity that you demonstrated continually in this online forum speaks volumes about the kind of person you are in your offline life. I know that should I ever choose the high road, I will find your footsteps there, leading the way.

My best wishes for you and all you love.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 05:262 edits

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
    Hey, you can't do that, I was just beginning to learn something from you! You are the person who effected me the most with your wisdom.
    I will miss you.
    I really admired your analysis of Ishmael.
    I couldn't have done that in a hundred years.
    BTW, the simple bliss of being thing: I felt that almost continuously for the past 60 years. One time stood out though:
    15 years old, happen to be in Anchorage Alaska during the peakiest peak of the the solar cycle for the past thousand years or so, 1958,
    and walking home from school and being in the presence of the god-almightiest aurora I ever saw, EVER, before or since. You could do nothing more then stand there staring at the wonder of the sky, mouth hanging open, hypnotized by the extraordinary sight of colliding forces, one from the sun and the other from the earth.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 14:16

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
    Passionate and serene, rational and emotional, skeptic and believer, in you, vistesd, we can find the rare combination of the power of extremes in perfect balance.

One of the most thought-provoking posters with a friendly personality to boost, these forums will certainly lose some of their appeal with your absence.

Be well,
    N

PS: Don't you hear that bell ringing from time to time in these forums, as well?
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 14:40
    I'm sorry to see you go. We have never spoken a great deal, but I've always valued reading your posts and as other have said, the forums will shrink a bit in your absence. Good fortune and peace to you and yours as you journey on.
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 14:57
    While with any other poster I'd be tempted to say, "You'll be back", in this case I'm not so sure. Old men of the Mountains have a way of sticking to their paths once declared. Enjoy the bliss.
  13. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 15:32

—Omar Khayyam

Good-bye, and be well.
    Vistesd -

Though we have never really discussed or communicated much here, i would like to thank you for all of your valuble insights and opinions and perspectives that you have brought to the Spirituality Forum. Whether I have agreed with what you have said or not, your posted have always been enlightening.

May you find your bliss of being.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 16:333 edits
    To Vistesd

This is one of the most beautiful, yet sad threads......

The beauty of the lasting impressions that you have given here....with your wisdom, and guidance...given with the pure joy.......
    i will be ever grateful, for you sharing your wisdom and peacefulness.....may you find peace and contentment in your quiet stillness and solitude, and keep the harmony of balance in your life.

you will be greatly missed here....

Peace to you and your family.

gil
  15. The sky
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 20:00
    That's a big loss for the forum. I always enjoyed your posts, vistesd, and you were one of the very few who actually wrote posts which fit the name of this forum. Good luck with the "simple bliss of being". I know what you are talking about, and I haven't paid enough attention to it lately.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree