1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 00:13
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "few" means 3 or 4 where I come from. You must be a hell of a quick reader 🙂

Mind you I did appreciate your post 2 before this one ...
    Even 1000 words a minute is fast. President John F. Kennedy is supposed to have read that fast. My youngest son could read very fast too. Probably at least 1000 words per minute. I don't know if he was ever timed, but he was much faster than me. I was timed in school at just over 200 words a minute which was very slow compared to others and I don't think I have gained any speed in all these years. But I read for just comprehension and not for speed.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '12 12:151 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is no destructive political agenda behind Creationism. There is no agenda to prevent good responsible advancement in science. We are against any effort of scientist to deliberately destroy the credibility of the Holy Bilbe in the eyes of the public. That is exactly what Atheistic evolutionary scientist are attempting to do. They have been successfu ...[text shortened]... s is not acceptable to True Christians, who believe the Holly Bible is the inspired word of God.
    You are naive if you think there is no destructive political force behind these creationist attacks on evolution. It is blatant, not even subtle.

The court cases in the bible belt states are proof enough.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    31 May '12 13:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You are naive if you think there is no destructive political force behind these creationist attacks on evolution. It is blatant, not even subtle.

The court cases in the bible belt states are proof enough.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting our kids to have the best education they can get or having the truth in science taught to them.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 May '12 13:59
    There is nothing wrong with wanting our kids to have the best education they can get or having the truth in science taught to them.
    What science? There is about as much science in creationism as there is in astrology. Less, actually, at least astrologers look at the stars and they begat astronomy. Creationism has begat nothing but thousands of years of trouble.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 May '12 15:30
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design_in_politics

The intelligent design movement has conducted an organized campaign largely in the United States that promotes a neo-creationist religious agenda calling for broad social, academic and political changes centering around intelligent design. A number of specific political strategies and tactics have been employed by intelligent design proponents. These range from attempts at the state level to undermine or remove altogether the presence of evolutionary theory from the public school classroom, to having the federal government mandate the teaching of intelligent design, to 'stacking' municipal, county and state school boards with intelligent design proponents. The Discovery Institute has been driving force in most cases, providing a range of support from material assistance to federal, state and regional elected representatives in the drafting of bills to supporting and advising individual parents confronting their school boards.

A feature of the Discovery Institute intelligent design campaigns has been extensive lobbying and public relations campaigns conducted on behalf of intelligent design proponents in order to overcome professional setbacks such as that of Guillermo Gonzalez, Richard Sternberg and Francis Beckwith. These efforts are focused on two efforts: the Teach the Controversy and Critical Analysis of Evolution campaigns. These campaigns gained prominence after the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial where Judge John E. Jones III ruled that teaching intelligent design or presenting it as an alternative to evolution was a violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution because intelligent design is not legitimate science but essentially religious in nature.[1]

Both the Teach the Controversy and Critical Analysis of Evolution strategies and resources for them come from the Discovery Institute and its Center for Science and Culture, the hub of the intelligent design movement. These strategies are seen as another iteration of the Discovery Institute's campaign to "defeat [the] materialist world view" represented by the theory of evolution in favor of "a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions".[2] According to the Center for Science and Culture's weblog,[3] at least 10 state legislatures are now considering legislation reconsidering how evolution is taught. Many of these initiatives benefit from significant legal assistance from a number of conservative legal foundations including the Thomas More Law Center, the Alliance Defense Fund, and Quality Science Education for All (QSEA). All have litigated extensively on behalf of the movement.

For a more intrnational review, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_and_evolution_in_public_education The bold is mine.
    While many doctrines do not raise theological objections to the modern evolutionary synthesis as an explanation for the present form of life on Earth, various fundamentalist sects, including many churches within Christianity, have objected militantly.[1] Some adherents are passionately opposed to the consensus view of the scientific community. Rigidly arbitrary interpretations, represented as being the literal meaning of religious texts, is the greatest cause of conflict with evolutionary and cosmological investigations and conclusions.

Globally, evolution is taught in science courses with limited controversy, with the exception of a few areas of the United States and several Islamic fundamentalist countries. In the United States, the Supreme Court has ruled the teaching of creationism as science in public schools to be unconstitutional, irrespective of how it may be purveyed in theological or religious instruction. In the United States, intelligent design has been represented as an alternative explanation to evolution in recent decades, but its "demonstrably religious, cultural, and legal missions" have been ruled unconstitutional by a lower court

For a region in which the entire population endorsed the truth of the Bible and had no knowledge of science whatever, go to the Black Death or any other aspect of the early to late Middle Ages in western Europe. It can be done but it is not pretty.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 May '12 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan

[quote]The intelligent design movement has conducted an organized campaign largely in the United States that promotes a neo-creationist religious agenda calling for broad social, academic and political changes centering around intelligent design. A number of specific political strategies and tac the early to late Middle Ages in western Europe. It can be done but it is not pretty.
    Do you realize that you are not objective ? You wreak with bigoted self interest to protect a world view that reaffirms your Atheism.

You are not purely curious about science. And you are not purely objective about it.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '12 20:01
    I think he is mainly interested in getting MONEY.
    You think? 😲
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    31 May '12 20:44
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Do you realize that you are not objective ? You wreak with bigoted self interest to protect a world view that reaffirms your Atheism.

You are not purely curious about science. And you are not purely objective about it.
    There is something totally empty in your complaint.

I do indeed have strong views which I can support with arguments in my own words. It is not appropriate to seek at the same time to express a strongly held point of view and to make a claim of being objective. That is irrational.

When I cite references, they are respected sources. The only serious complaints about the material I cite come, remarkably enough, from the small and untypical gang of Creationists and do not stand up to critical scrutiny. Compare that with the propoganda videos which you rely on for your arguments which are respected only by the same small and untypical gang of Creationists. I make no claims to be a scientist but this material is so infantile and predictable it is just child's play to refute it.

Your use of the term "bigotry" implies a refusal to listen, but I have demonstrably, for example, worked through both your arguments and some of the material you have referenced (your creationist videos). Indeed, I suggest that I give a more accurate account of the religious and creationists arguments than you have ever managed for the theory of evolution by natural selection, which you completely fail to understand. That kind of wilful ignorance is tantamount to misrepresentation and comes closer to the concept of "bigotry."

The notion that I am protecting my world view is insipid. What I have been doing is demonstrating with detailed argument and supporting evidence that the Creationist argument is defective and that is promoted dishonestly by interested people and organisations as part of a reactionary and socially damaging political campaign. Far from defending atheism, I have pointed out many times that Evolutionary theory does not in fact have to conflict with religious belief at all, unless you adopt a fundamentalist attitude to the whole topic.

Whether I am objective, bigoted, REEKING with self interest or defending my atheistic world view is not really the issue, is it? The issue is whether you can respond effectively to my posts other than by making personal remarks. Yes I do make personal remarks, but I do not rely on them as my argument.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 07:55
    What science? There is about as much science in creationism as there is in astrology. Less, actually, at least astrologers look at the stars and they begat astronomy. Creationism has begat nothing but thousands of years of trouble.
    That is your opinion. I have a different opinion.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 08:00
    Originally posted by finnegan

[quote]The intelligent design movement has conducted an organized campaign largely in the United States that promotes a neo-creationist religious agenda calling for broad social, academic and political changes centering around intelligent design. A number of specific political strategies and tac ...[text shortened]... the early to late Middle Ages in western Europe. It can be done but it is not pretty.
    Maybe, one day the truth about the false teachings of evolution will be taught in our schools and evolution will to longer be a problem to be concerned about.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Jun '12 08:03
    Originally posted by jaywill

It is apparent that he does not realize it.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 02:58
    Maybe, one day the truth about the false teachings of evolution will be taught in our schools and evolution will to longer be a problem to be concerned about.
    When pigs fly.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '12 03:00
    When pigs fly.
    😛

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree