1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 23:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [bIt's all about the distribution of the near 'wealth' of the middle class to
    programs which pander to the willfully poor blocks of voters who will pull
    one lever when they arrive.[/b]
    Yeah!
    Jesus would have told those wilfully poor what to do.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Sep '13 00:211 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Yeah!
    wolfgang59, He's a realist, not a bleeding heart sentimentalist with some crusader agenda fueled by a shallow media. "The poor you shall have with you always". Why? Because nations which honor the freedom code provide equal opportunity, not equal prosperity. Given Equality, all with a vigorous work ethic have the opportunity to succeed; if not, to slack off and fail.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 02:461 edit
    Yeah!
    Would we care about the poor today had it not been for the Christian influence on Western Civilization?

It seems to me that the pre-Christian world was much darker than today.

Having said that, we should all note that those in power are expected now to care for the poor in some capacity. That is why even evil individuals like Hitler redistributed wealth to poor Germans and even Al Capone had charities for the poor.

As for the US federal government giving to the poor, yep, they do as well. But it should also be noted that they give money to everyone such as the rich and middle class in the form of subsidies and tax breaks. They even give money away internationally to countries that seemingly hate the US. They do this in order to gain power and influence into all our lives.

So are their motives for giving to the poor more in line with Jesus or that of Al Capone and Hitler?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 02:57
    Originally posted by JS357
    Laws enforce interests. Whose interests are behind a given law? Ask them and they'll say their interests are moral ("greed is good" - Gordon Gekko.) Bad laws reflect a bad morality. Does morality work, is the real question.
    Law alters behavior, it forbids some, forces others. Every law is created to
    such ends, and everyone is made by someone who thinks they know better
    and wants to either forbid something or force something. You can be an
    Atheist who has no feelings towards God or a some form of Theist, but you
    are going to have some notion towards an end you want to force by law
    to accomplish when you write a law.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 03:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Law alters behavior, it forbids some, forces others. Every law is created to
    such ends, and everyone is made by someone who thinks they know better
    and wants to either forbid something or force something. You can be an
    Atheist who has no feelings towards God or a some form of Theist, but you
    are going to have some notion towards an end you want to force by law
    to accomplish when you write a law.
    Kelly
    And it seems as if man gravitates towards fascism every time such power is granted him.

One of my favorite passages in the Bible is 1 Samuel 9. There we see the nation of Israel demanding a king. God warns them of the abuses that would come about if they had their way, but they would not listen and demanded one. God then gave them their hearts desire, but added that he would not heed their call when prayers came about by such future abuses.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 03:50
    Given Equality, all with a vigorous work ethic have the opportunity to succeed; if not, to slack off and fail.
    Agreed.
    But there is no equal opportunity.

And I do not believe in a wilfully poor.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 03:52
    Agreed.
    But there is no equal opportunity.

And I do not believe in a wilfully poor.
    There are many causes of poverty. I can't see anyone dismissing any cause as illegitimate.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 03:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    QUESTION
    Would we care about the poor today had it not been for the Christian influence on Western Civilization?
    ANSWER
    yes

Judaism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzedakah

Islam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakat
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 04:28
    wolfgang59, He's a realist, not a bleeding heart sentimentalist with some crusader agenda fueled by a shallow media. "The poor you shall have with you always". Why? Because nations which honor the freedom code provide equal opportunity, not equal prosperity. Given Equality, all with a vigorous work ethic have the opportunity to succeed; if not, to slack off and fail.
    "Equality, all with a vigorous work ethic have the opportunity to succeed; if not, to slack off and fail."

So do you believe that only those who slack off, fail?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 12:03
    ANSWER
    [b]yes

Judaism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzedakah

Islam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakat[/b]
    To be fair Christianity sprang from Judaism and Islam sprang from both.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 15:001 edit
    Morality in the egalitarian sense. What is "good" for society? That is the morality upon which all laws are formed.
    Thats really stretching the definition of morality. It makes me question why you even bothered using the word in the thread title. Deliberate misdirection perhaps?
    Why did you not call the thread 'legislating society for its own good'?
    No, you actually want to argue that legislating is bad, but you can't really do that with the above title can you?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 15:05
    After all, as laws increase freedom decreases.
    It seems there are several posters that believe this to be the case, and see all laws as restrictions on their freedoms. Are you claiming that all laws restrict freedom, or that its just a general trend?
    Do you claim that societies with more laws, are less free than societies with fewer laws, or simply that in any given society, as laws are added, freedom is reduced?
    Do you realize that a prison could be run with very few laws?

Or a there just posters who are anti-laws who simply haven't thought it through?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 20:56
    To be fair Christianity sprang from Judaism and Islam sprang from both.
    To be fair my answer was in response to your question.
    A question which supposed charity was unknown before Christ and implicitly suggested that Christianity and only Christianity was responsible for charity today.

Do you accept that all major religions promote charity?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 01:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Thats really stretching the definition of morality. It makes me question why you even bothered using the word in the thread title. Deliberate misdirection perhaps?
    Why did you not call the thread 'legislating society for its own good'?
    No, you actually want to argue that legislating is bad, but you can't really do that with the above title can you?
    Ok, put another way, all laws are passed for what is considered "good" for society.

How that is not based upon morality I have no idea.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 01:46
    To be fair my answer was in response to your question.
    A question which supposed charity was unknown before Christ and implicitly suggested that Christianity and only Christianity was responsible for charity today.

Do you accept that all major religions promote charity?
    Did the Greek or Roman gods promote charity?

Did the Nordic god Oden promote charity?

What about the Aztecs who sacrificed their young to their gods?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree