Legislating morality

Legislating morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
01 Sep 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Oddly enough, you quote only what supports your soup de jour. Given the choice between two paragraphs on the link provided, you quote but one, leaving the second of the two (which offers a completely different take on the passages) languishing in the shadows.

Oh well. That just harmonizes with your usual MO. Kinda like your characterization of "exper ...[text shortened]... s" when citing the work of but two people. Gotta hand it to you, though: 'two' is plural!
The Jewish take is that the two passages contradict each other, but that is no big deal as they don't regard the Bible as inerrant. It is only a problem for your view that the one passage says the same guy killed 300 enemies and the parallel one says 800. I assume that people who are interested actually read the link, the rest of which is irrelevant to the point being discussed (though interesting).

Yes they are "experts" and "Jewish scholars" cited. Where's your evidence that their interpretation is wrong?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
01 Sep 06

[b]Can you fathom a scientific advance so incontrovertible that you would reject a literal element
of Scripture (on any topic: creation, the flood, evolution, whatever)?

This is a simple 'yes' or 'no' question.

My answer to this one is 'yes.' What is yours?

The assumption here is that science would be able to produce some sort of 'proof' ...[text shortened]... But some, like you, have not given up hope. My hope is placed otherwise.[/b]
Gonna try ONE more time:

Can you fathom a scientific advance so incontrovertible that you would reject a literal element

'Yes' or 'No.'

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
02 Sep 06

Actually your frantic search provided you with the exact opposite of what the most reliable texts reveal. Keep searching, though. You're bound to get somewhere.
I think you are answering my question by your actions.

Presented with a contradiction, you conclude to read the Hebrew in a
way which avoids the contradiction, despite the fact that such a reading
is an inconsistent application and, more notably, that Jewish
scholars of their Scripture have made a specific point to clarify the
reading which leads to the contradiction.

That is, you begin with the presumption that the Bible is infallible
a priori.

This is not opened minded; and someone who refuses to
acknolwedge your closed-minded viewpoint is not closed minded either.

Thanks for playing!
Nemesio

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
02 Sep 06

Originally posted by Nemesio
Gonna try ONE more time:

Can you fathom a scientific advance so incontrovertible that you would reject a literal element

'Yes' or 'No.'

Nemesio
Gonna answer one more time. What type of incontrovertible evidence are you imagining as able to offer the proof you are suggesting?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
02 Sep 06
1 edit

I think you are answering my question by your actions.

Presented with a contradiction, you conclude to read the Hebrew in a
way which avoids the contradiction, despite the fact that such a reading
is an inconsistent application and, more notably, that Jewish
scholars of their Scripture have made a specific point to clarify the
reading which le ...[text shortened]... lwedge your closed-minded viewpoint is not closed minded either.

Thanks for playing!
Nemesio
Cute.

Forget the multiple texts which support the interpretation already provided, and (instead) attack the person providing the same as subjective. God forbid that you turn your laser-like analytical abilities toward the myriad (oops, I mean 'two'😉 Jewish (hey: who knows Hebrew better than a Jew, right? ) scholars (unquestionable, as they are cited on a website) and scrutinize their work in light of the textual support otherwise. Better still, God forbid that you turn those same abilities toward your own biased self.

Moreover, what about the imprecision of the source cited in the beginning of this whole waste of time? The skeptic website that couldn't even get the verse right... but you probably have no problem with them, right? Now, who, exactly, has the agenda?

a

Meddling with things

Moves
02 Sep 06

Originally posted by whodey
My question is can we legislate morality? Could this happen with gay marriage? Today polls show that the majority of Americans oppose gay marriage. If the Supreme Court makes it legal, however, will America then embrace it as they do abortion today in a few decades or so?
Apparently its going to be made compulsory. I'll post you some KY jelly

Hmmm . . .

Moves
03 Sep 06

Of course there are Jews who no little, if any, Hebrew. But No.1 is right: rabbinical Judaism has recognized the fact that Biblical Hebrew not only allows, but indeed insists upon, multiple interpretations. For example—

“The scroll of the Torah is written without vowels, so you can read it variously. Without vowels, the consonants bear many meanings and splinter into sparks. That is why the Torah scroll must not be vowelized, for the meaning of each word accords with its vowels. Once vowelized, a word means just one thing. Without vowels, you can understand it in countless, wondrous ways.”

—Bahya ben Asher (13th-14th centuries), quoted in Daniel Matt, The Essential Kabbalah.

Also: “The Torah scroll may not be vowelized—so that we can interpret every single word according to every possible reading.” (Jacob ben Sheshet, quoted by Matt in a footnote to the above quote.)

Of course, the Masoretes, by deciding on vowel-pointing, decided the standard or conventional interpretation for the “plain reading” ( ha p’shat). This vowel-pointing shows up in the printed texts, but the Torah scrolls remain unpointed.

There are lots of examples in Midrash and Talmud and Kabbalistic texts such as ha Zohar that go something like: “Do not read [word with standard vowel-pointing]. Rather, read [alternative word with changed vowel-pointing].”

According to Marc-Alain Ouaknin, in The Burnt Book: Reading the Talmud— “The Book [i.e., Torah] of the beginning is illegible and meaningless. Before the book can be read, it must be composed; the reader is actually a creator. Reading becomes an activity, a production. And so an infinity of books are constantly present in the Book [Torah]. There is not one story but many stories.

“The first function of the reader is to introduce breaks between the letters to form words; between certain words to produce sentences….”

I have to say that, although he has argued with me, Freaky has never attacked my midrashic methodology in dealing with the texts. We do disagree on the availability of a “one right meaning,” and his exegesis is driven from within a Christian paradigm, whereas mine is not.

Nemesio, you once corrected me on my misunderstanding of such terms as literal, inerrant and infallible—but I forget... 🙁 Perhaps that would be helpful here (it would for me anyway.)

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Sep 06

Gonna answer one more time. What type of incontrovertible evidence are you imagining as able to offer the proof you are suggesting?
Clearly the answer is 'no.' You cannot fathom it.

Just one follow-up question: Is it because of your lack of intelligence, imagination, or
simply the fear that letting go of the mythology of Scripture?

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Sep 06

Cute.

Forget the multiple texts which support the interpretation already provided, and (instead) attack the person providing the same as subjective. God forbid that you turn your laser-like analytical abilities toward the myriad (oops, I mean 'two'😉 Jewish (hey: who knows Hebrew better than a Jew, right? ) scholars (unquestionable, as they are cited ...[text shortened]... ght... but you probably have no problem with them, right? Now, who, exactly, has the agenda?
Snore......

The tighter you clutch onto the literal words of the Bible, the more you choke yourself.

But, hey, auto-erotic intellectual asphyxiation works for some guys.

I prefer to draw conclusions from a tabla rasa rather than a priori assumptions
like you, however.

Nemesio

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by vistesd
Of course there are Jews who no little, if any, Hebrew. But No.1 is right: rabbinical Judaism has recognized the fact that Biblical Hebrew not only allows, but indeed insists upon, multiple interpretations. For example—

“The scroll of the Torah is written without vowels, so you can read it variously. Without vowels, the consonants bear many meanings a ...[text shortened]... d infallible—but I forget... 🙁 Perhaps that would be helpful here (it would for me anyway.)
Stop messing up his 'perfect book' with citations that contradict his viewpoint! You're
confusing the issue with the facts!

BAD BAD BAD VISTESD!

Nemesio

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Sep 06

Clearly the answer is 'no.' You cannot fathom it.

Just one follow-up question: Is it because of your lack of intelligence, imagination, or
simply the fear that letting go of the mythology of Scripture?

Nemesio
Here's your follow-up answer, as you continue to avoid the first one. I'm not sure if it's due to your inability to read and/or comprehend, or if it's just because I'm doing a really poor job of getting my point across, but your follow-up question has already been answered.

Remember a few posts back wherein I told how I had previously held that the Bible was fallible? It was during that time that I did everything I could to prove (for myself, not as some here are doing for the supposed benefit of others) the Bible wrong.

So maybe it was lack of intelligence. You've seen enough of my posts here. Would you characterize the intelligence behind those posts as sub-par?

Or, perhaps as you suggest, it is due to a lack of imagination. In light of what I have laid out for you to consider, will a clear conscience allow you to blame my opinion of Scripture on a lack of imagination?

Too, given that I have admitted several times to previously holding a much-less restrictive view of the Bible, one more akin to what you espouse now, do you really think it could be fear holding me where I sit now?

You decide.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Sep 06

Snore......

The tighter you clutch onto the literal words of the Bible, the more you choke yourself.

But, hey, auto-erotic intellectual asphyxiation works for some guys.

I prefer to draw conclusions from a tabla rasa rather than a priori assumptions
like you, however.

Nemesio
I prefer to draw conclusions from a tabla rasa rather than a priori assumptions like you, however.

Sure you do. That's why you automatically accepted the interpretation of two proclaimed scholars on the passage, without even a glance in the direction of source documents. You have an assumed position that doesn't allow you to consider anything else.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Sep 06

[b]I prefer to draw conclusions from a tabla rasa rather than a priori assumptions like you, however.

Sure you do. That's why you automatically accepted the interpretation of two proclaimed scholars on the passage, without even a glance in the direction of source documents. You have an assumed position that doesn't allow you to consider anything else.[/b]
More breath-control play...

You horn dog, you!

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
04 Sep 06

Here's your follow-up answer, as you continue to avoid the first one. I'm not sure if it's due to your inability to read and/or comprehend, or if it's just because I'm doing a really poor job of getting my point across, but your follow-up question has already been answered.

Remember a few posts back wherein I told how I had previously held that the Bib ...[text shortened]... pouse now, do you really think it could be fear holding me where I sit now?

You decide.
Here's a way you can get your point across: answer the question!

Are you opened to the idea that the Bible may not be meant to read
literally?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
04 Sep 06

Here's a way you can get your point across: answer the question!

Are you opened to the idea that the Bible may not be meant to read
literally?
I am open to the idea that the Bible is meant to be read according to its categorical classifications, and that the Bible itself is the best method of interpreting its intent.

Let's take a page from your playbook, now. How about you answer the question put forth previously?