1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 12:571 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Brahma Sutras is known as Vedanta Sutras because it is an aphoristic text on the Vedanta. It is known as the Sharirak Sutras because it deals with the nature of and the destiny of the 'embodied ' soul. It is known as Uttara-Mimamsa Sutras because it is an enquiry into the final sections of the Vedanta. It is known as the Bhikshu Sutras because the persons ...[text shortened]... the introductions to the main book,Shankarbhashya, which is good enough to start a discussion.
    If a person desires liberation from the coils of Sansara and he desires to do this by means of Dnyan Yog i.e. the way of Knowledge, he/she must use the 4 tools. The 4 tools are Vivek, Vairagya, Shatsampattis, Mumuksha.
    Vivek is the ability to distinguish between permanent and impermanent.
    Vairagya is the disinterest in the sensual pleasures.
    Shatsampattis are the 6 types of spiritual wealth.
    Mumuksha is the burning desire to get liberated.
    The 6 types of spiritual wealth are :-Sham,Dam,Titiksha, Tyag, Samadhan and Shraddha.
    Sham means the calming and concentration of mind.
    Dam means taking control of one's senses.
    Titiksha is forbearance or ability to suffer the sorrows of the world undauntedly.
    Tyag is giving up the objects of worldliness.
    Samadhan is contentment.
    Shraddha is faith.
    Some books cite Uparati in place of Tyag. Uparati is turning away from objects of worldliness.
  2. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 13:28
    If a person desires liberation from the coils of Sansara and he desires to do this by means of Dnyan Yog i.e. the way of Knowledge, he/she must use the 4 tools. The 4 tools are Vivek, Vairagya, Shatsampattis, Mumuksha.
    Vivek is the ability to distinguish between permanent and impermanent.
    Vairagya is the disinterest in the sensual pleasures.
    Shatsampa ...[text shortened]...
    Some books cite Uparati in place of Tyag. Uparati is turning away from objects of worldliness.
    Vairagya should be deep seated and not shallow.
    An example of Vairagya which is shallow is the Smashan-Vairagya or the the feeling one gets after attending the burning ceremony of a friend's or relative's corpse. At the ceremony, one feels the unchallengeable supremacy of death and feels that all worldly life is worthless. But after returning to one's home, one takes a bath and sits down to a hearty meal, the hunger being stronger after attending the burning ceremony. One enjoys the meal as usual. This Smashan- Vairagya or the Vairagya of the burning place is no use.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 16:20
    Vairagya should be deep seated and not shallow.
    An example of Vairagya which is shallow is the Smashan-Vairagya or the the feeling one gets after attending the burning ceremony of a friend's or relative's corpse. At the ceremony, one feels the unchallengeable supremacy of death and feels that all worldly life is worthless. But after returning to one's h ...[text shortened]... oys the meal as usual. This Smashan- Vairagya or the Vairagya of the burning place is no use.
    Some extracts from Taittiriya Upanishad, just to lighten up and to induce some posters to come up with what they want to say. :-
    Seventh Anuvak (part), in Brahmanandvalli (chapter dealing with Bliss) of the Taittiriya Upanishad.
    The Brahman (i.e. the Ultimate Reality/God ) is the essence or the juice of everything
    After drinking this juice, you feel the Bliss. Because this Bliss stays on in your heart, you live.
    Eighth Anuvak of the Brahmanandvalli of this Upanishad.
    Out of the Fear of God the wind blows. Out of the fear of God,the Sun rises. Because of the fear of God, Fire,Indra and Death do their work.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    06 Oct '11 16:32
    Some extracts from Taittiriya Upanishad, just to lighten up and to induce some posters to come up with what they want to say. :-
    Seventh Anuvak (part), in Brahmanandvalli (chapter dealing with Bliss) of the Taittiriya Upanishad.
    The Brahman (i.e. the Ultimate Reality/God ) is the essence or the juice of everything
    After drinking this juice, you feel th ...[text shortened]... f the fear of God,the Sun rises. Because of the fear of God, Fire,Indra and Death do their work.
    From the Ninth Anuvak of Brahmanandvalli of Taittiriya Upanishad:-
    The enlightened person is not afraid of anything after realizing that Bliss of Brahman, failing to reach which words turn back along with the mind.
    That enlightened person is not afflicted by a remorse such as " why did I not perform good deeds ? Why did I perform bad deeds ? " Because the enlightened person knows that both vice and virtue are really the Supreme Self.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree