lets call it a day.

lets call it a day.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
20 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
are you having some sort of break down? calm down fella. im not feeling sorry for you. im asking a perfectly sensible question...........at what point will people give up waiting, if (hypothetically god doesnt initiate the 'end'😉

logic wise i guess it would depend if you are old or young earth.
I am an agnostic. However, for those who believe, the time element for the reapearance of god/Jesus is irrelevant. I do consider myself to be spiritual. When out in Nature I sense a life force and it brings me great joy. Nature, away from the sight and sound of humans and human creations, is my "church". I simply find the idea of a God who is concerned with which football team will win rediculous. If there is a god, it is subject to all the forces of nature it created. It is neither an omnicient nor omnipresent being. The Christian god described by people on this forum sounds so full of the human ego. It is not an appealing god.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
20 May 13

Originally posted by RBHILL
I would say yes, because we are starting to go into space more and more privately then by the governments. God will not allow us to populate the universe.
Of course, he will send some 2000 year old apostles to stop us. 🙄🙄🙄

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
20 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
"Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are [b]some ...[text shortened]... ed who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

The Instructor[/b]
Jesus telling people he will be back before some of his contemporaries die, or that this generation will not pass before the Kingdom of God shall return can hardly be called 'hard to understand'. It's as plain as day and night.

Moves
20 May 13

Originally posted by RBHILL
I would say yes, because we are starting to go into space more and more privately then by the governments. God will not allow us to populate the universe.
so if nothing has happened by then would you expect the christian church to close? or will they just change their understanding of the bible?

Moves
20 May 13

Originally posted by sonship
You simply do not understand.

You do not understand about the Lord's coming.
You do not understand what He has been doing in the mean time for centries.

You do not understand WHY He comes, what is the impetus for Him to come, the motivation.

And you surely don't understand that God's past record on prophecy fulfillment encourages us that He wi ...[text shortened]... Jesus physically comes again most people will think that it is TOO SOON rather than too late.
will the jesus return in the next 10,000 years sonship?

Moves
20 May 13

My opinion is yes, I believe it will be sooner than 10,000 years.

The Instructor
and if it isnt would you expect the church to close down or will they make up an excuse and carry on as per usual?

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
20 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
and if it isnt would you expect the church to close down or will they make up an excuse and carry on as per usual?
Considering the number of times he has supposedly been back you'd think it would all have been done and dusted by. now. Let me see, I have a list of the supposed returns of Christ here somewhere.

410 when the Visigoths sacked Rome, again in 455 when the Vandals sacked Rome and then again in 546 when the Ostrogoths sacked Rome.

April 6th, 793 Beatus of Liébana predicted the coming of Christ and the end of the world on that day.

January 1st, 1000, usual millennial end of world claptrap.

Pick any year of the 14th century and someone was predicting the end of the world, christ returning etc. That was the century of the hundred years war, Black Death, final collapse of the Crusader kingdoms, rise of the Turks etc.

8:00 a.m. on October 19th 1533 according to Michael Stifel.

1600-1700. Much the same as the 14th century. Religious wars abounded. There was the Thirty Years War in Europe, three civil wars in Britain, wars against the Turks, outbreaks of plague and famine. And in England we had the Witchfinder General, presumably weighing ladies to see if they were lighter than ducks.

1700. Henry Archer predicted the return of Christ, end of the world etc based on a calculation counting from the end of the reign of Julian the Apostate, last pagan emperor of Rome.

1757. Emmanuel Swedenborg predicted the end of the world because the Last Judgement had already happened in 1757. Probably something he ate combined with wars, pestilence blah blah.

John Wesley, the Methodist chap, decided that Revelation 12:14 referred to the period 1050-1836. I have no idea why.

October 24th 1822. The Great Disapointment. William Miller set this as the date of the second coming and Lo! It failed to happen.

1874. According to Charles Taze Russell, Christ returns in this year, resurrection of the saints in 1875, rapture of the saints in 1878 and finally the end of the day of wrath in 1914. Wonder what happened to Charlie? His name rings a bell...

1891. This is the Mormon version. Joseph Smith reckoned there were only 56 years left in 1891. I hope he didn't place any bets on that happening.

1914. The JW prediction. Ah yes, that's why Charlie is so familiar! Note how they took his prediction of the end of the day of wrath in this year and recycled it into the beginning of Christ's invisible presence.

Since then we have had umpteen "end of world/rapture" moments. My favourite is a chap called Benjamin Creme. Creme egg anyone?

And then we have Jesus' own predictions that he would be back within the life-time of his disciples.Matt 16:28, Mark 9:1, Mark 13:30, Matt 24:34, Luke 9:27. If those guys are still around I hope they are claiming their free TV licence and bus pass.

The evidence suggests the organisation/person making the prediction is either safely dead by the time it fails to happen or just shove it under a convenient carpet and carry on as normal. Another tactic is the invisible return. He's here, you just can't see him so can't disprove the prophesy.

In general, the trouble with prophesy is you just don't know that it is true until it has happened. And often you don't even notice it has happened!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Kepler
Considering the number of times he has supposedly been back you'd think it would all have been done and dusted by. now. Let me see, I have a list of the supposed returns of Christ here somewhere.

410 when the Visigoths sacked Rome, again in 455 when the Vandals sacked Rome and then again in 546 when the Ostrogoths sacked Rome.

April 6th, 793 Beatus of t it is true until it has happened. And often you don't even notice it has happened!
But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

(2 Peter 2:1 NASB)

The Instructor

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
20 May 13

[b]But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

(2 Peter 2:1 NASB)

The Instructor[/b]
What do you think of these?

Matt 16:28, Mark 9:1, Mark 13:30, Matt 24:34, Luke 9:27

They all suggest Jesus would be back before all his disciples died. Victor Stenger thinks Christianity changed its emphasis to resurrection and eternal life when he didn't return before his disciples had all died.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 13

What do you think of these?

Matt 16:28, Mark 9:1, Mark 13:30, Matt 24:34, Luke 9:27

They all suggest Jesus would be back before all his disciples died. Victor Stenger thinks Christianity changed its emphasis to resurrection and eternal life when he didn't return before his disciples had all died.
Deceivers, doing the devil's work.

The Instructor

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
20 May 13

Deceivers, doing the devil's work.

The Instructor
Matthew, Mark and Luke are deceivers doing the devil's work? You sure you wanted to say that?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 13
1 edit

Matthew, Mark and Luke are deceivers doing the devil's work? You sure you wanted to say that?
There were two questions our Lord was answering. The destruction of Jerusalem took place within the limits of the generation living in our Lord's time; and there might be some of those whom he was then addressing who would live to see the event. His prediction amounted, in fact, to this, that the destruction of Jerusalem would take place within forty years of the time when he was speaking. Their city would be destroyed their power overthrown. They would be "peeled and scattered."

The Instructor

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
20 May 13

There were two questions our Lord was answering. The destruction of Jerusalem took place within the limits of the generation living in our Lord's time; and there might be some of those whom he was then addressing who would live to see the event. His prediction amounted, in fact, to this, that the destruction of Jerusalem would take place within forty years ...[text shortened]... be destroyed their power overthrown. They would be "peeled and scattered."

The Instructor
How about the other question?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
How about the other question?
What about it? Okay, I am not really that hard to get along with so I will just give you this link.

http://www.letusreason.org/Biblexp56.htm

The Instructor

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
20 May 13

What about it?

The Instructor
You said there were two questions the Lord was answering and only talked about the destruction of Jerusalem. What about the other question?