1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:031 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    The Bible isn't intended to be a literal history and those who treat is as such should be taken for the fools they are. Rather, the Old Testament is writing from Hebrew oral teachings and it's intended to be one group of people's spiritual awakening.

As for the flood, there are a good many ancient sources of flood stories. The oldest I've found is a Sume isn't meant to be history. If you want to treat it as such then you can be the fool, too.
    These ancient stories of floods were probably true. Did you think of that.. because extensive flooding has been recorded? BUT not a world-wide flood. NO EVIDENCE has been found.

People who are Christians in general do believe that God created the world. How can this be so because we all know that no flooding happened and yet in the very same book where we establish the train of thought for the monkey brains, just before the flood, we have the creation of the world.

NO FLOOD.. NO CREATION.. and take it a step further.. NO super-hero Jesus.
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:11
    Originally posted by WWindmill
    These ancient stories of floods were probably true. Did you think of that.. because extensive flooding has been recorded? BUT not a world-wide flood. NO EVIDENCE has been found.

People who are Christians in general do believe that God created the world. How can this be so because we all know that no flooding happened and yet in the very same book where ...[text shortened]... tion of the world.

NO FLOOD.. NO CREATION.. and take it a step further.. NO super-hero Jesus.
    OK, so you just proved there was no flood, there is no God, there are no miracles, there is no Hell, no Heaven, and no life after death....

How are you going to treat people differently because of that? How does your conscience affect you? How are you generous to those that have less than you do?

How do the scientific/historical "facts" affect the message?
  3. SEMO
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:23
    The Bible is simply people's over-active imaginations which started in the creation of the world and a wwflood which never happened as anyone with half a brain can verify through science which finds NO EVIDENCE of a wwflood which would easily be found.

From there the next person came along and added to the information the last one was given until we en ...[text shortened]... ntasy called Jesus who in his super-powers defeated death so the world would become saved. LOL.
    You say that there is no scientific evidence to support the flood. What about science saying that the land we have now was not here at first and was made form volcanos under the sea? If the land we have now was not here when the flood happened then there would be enough water to cover what land was here at the time.

Also, if the Bible was from people just adding to stories, then there would be contradictions all over the Bible. However, I have not found one contradiction in all the books of the Bible. How do you explain that? Man makes many mistakes and if the Bible was from man you would find many contradictions especially, over the long period of time between each book.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:28
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    OK, so you just proved there was no flood, there is no God, there are no miracles, there is no Hell, no Heaven, and no life after death....

How are you going to treat people differently because of that? How does your conscience affect you? How are you generous to those that have less than you do?

I can't speak for him, but for myself it doesn't affect any of that.

I don't treat people well because of belief in god.
    My conscience is just as present now as it was when I did believe in god.
    I'm as generous now as I ever have been - even more. I could be more generous, I know, but I have flaws just like everyone else.

That's the thing. Many theists of all types pick and choose what they take from the bible and see much of it as being allegorical. I have no problem if they take the good and use that.

The problem is when people start believing that the flood happened despite all actual evidence to the contrary.

Feel free to take the positive messages from the bible if you want. Many books are there to inform and send a real message.

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell are two. Other books are there to express the author's views also. Take messages that you want from those books too - just don't try to pretend that they happened.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:29
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    Also, if the Bible was from people just adding to stories, then there would be contradictions all over the Bible. However, I have not found one contradiction in all the books of the Bible. How do you explain that? Man makes many mistakes and if the Bible was from man you would find many contradictions especially, over the long period of time between each book.
    Because the next writter of the Bible came along and added to the information that was already there. Because then people will say that you interpreted it wong.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:42
    You say that there is no scientific evidence to support the flood. What about science saying that the land we have now was not here at first and was made form volcanos under the sea? If the land we have now was not here when the flood happened then there would be enough water to cover what land was here at the time.
    .. and how many thousand years ago was that?
  7. SEMO
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:45
    .. and how many thousand years ago was that?
    Hmm, Maybe you should look it up for yourself. You seem to be the one who wants to resort to science.
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:47
    ...Also, if the Bible was from people just adding to stories, then there would be contradictions all over the Bible. However, I have not found one contradiction in all the books of the Bible. How do you explain that? Man makes many mistakes and if the Bible was from man you would find many contradictions especially, over the long period of time between each book.
    Well, the Bible starts out as a contradiction, giving two different creation accounts in Genesis. Seems you might have overlooked that and every other contradiction in it. When you say you've not found any contradictions then you're either not reading the Bible or omitting anything contrary to your own personal perspective.
  9. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:48
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    All the arguments raised aganist the flood are mainly towards the Bible version of the story. As I don't belive in the Bible, all these arguments proves nothing to me. In other words it may prove that the Bible is not true, or not from GOD, but it doesn't prove that there was no person called Noah, and there was a flood someday,

My problem here is all at ...[text shortened]... e [b]Islamic perspectives
    section and you will see that all of you proofs doesn't hold.[/b]
    You make a bold claim which generalizes all atheists, and then you immediately criticize them because they generalize?
    You are certainly mistaken about all atheists, I am possibly one of the most implacable arheists, but I am not at all interested in proving God doesn't exist. In fact I could not care less whether He exists or not. Nor am I interested in science or whether the great flood actually happened. I simply cannot accept or believe in God's existence, and if He does exist, I still want no part of Him. All I would ask of Him is to spare me the agony of spending eternity in the presence of religious nutters!
  10. SEMO
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:48
    Because the next writter of the Bible came along and added to the information that was already there. Because then people will say that you interpreted it wong.
    How was that so? Many books were not avalible for them to read/study and then add to them. Do some research as to when they were writen, and when and where they were found.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:51
    How was that so? Many books were not avalible for them to read/study and then add to them. Do some research as to when they were writen, and when and where they were found.
    LOL.. Maybe it was through the super-powers of GOD that led them to write the same similar events of Jersus life.
  12. SEMO
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:53
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Well, the Bible starts out as a contradiction, giving two different creation accounts in Genesis. Seems you might have overlooked that and every other contradiction in it. When you say you've not found any contradictions then you're either not reading the Bible or omitting anything contrary to your own personal perspective.
    No, It does not give two different creation accounts. It explains how everything was created, then goes back to the day he created man to explains the reason for man's condition.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
    Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Have you ever read a book where the auther jumps back to a spicific point in the story? Many miss these few verses that expain that Adam was the first man.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:55
    Hmm, Maybe you should look it up for yourself. You seem to be the one who wants to resort to science.
    Well it wasnt 4,000 years ago that the land and water was one mass. It took a lot longer then 4,000 years for the land to go through it's cycles of one land mass and out again THREE times.
  14. SEMO
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 21:55
    LOL.. Maybe it was through the super-powers of GOD that led them to write the same similar events of Jersus life.
    2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 22:00
    Originally posted by forkedknight

You tell me what sort of conscience Bush(as a believer in Christ) has after causing the deaths of 200,000 Iraqis?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree