Leviticus and Homo's

Leviticus and Homo's

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
10 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by gtbiking4life
I get a different picture if I try and read between the lines of the quote. A homosexual person has to live by the same standards I do. There are homosexuals who attend Church and have been baptized in the LDS Church as well. None are being ex-communicated as far as I'm aware. I know one who is a member currently and is treated just like anyone else. M ...[text shortened]... exactly what God would want. I certainly don't believe the Bible tells us to turn anyone away.
I believe the act of homosexuality is a sin, just like I believe sex before marriage is a sin.

This could use some clarification. Is it your belief that the act of homosexuality is a sin even if they are married? If you answer is "yes", can you support that belief via the teachings of Jesus? Also are you opposed to the LDS stance against gay rights?

There is one truth though - I would always welcome a homosexual into out Church anytime.

Did you miss this part?
"They teach that a member cannot be excommunicated simply because they have a homosexual orientation, as long as they remain celibate."

Sounds like a homosexual can be excommunicated if they don't remain celibate. Would you continue to welcome such an individual into your life?

S
🙏🏻

Some other realm

Moves
10 Aug 10

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
I normally don't quote, but, this struck me as funny.

In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant
Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus
18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, written by a US man,
and posted on the ...[text shortened]... y of Virginia PS (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a
Canadian)
Rockin'.

F

Moves
10 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
Nothing in the bible is obsolete as you put it. many princioles still apply in our everyday life's. If you really understood what the laws were for and what it showed that we needed as in Jesus and what he accomplished you'd understand.
I'd honestly explain it to you but you'd have to be honest with me in wanting to know. I don't believe you do....
I honestly want to know why it's an illusion why certain parts of the bible appears to be obsolete ( "No, it doesn't matter, it's only Mosaic laws." ) While other rules seems to be valid ( "Homosexuality is a sin." ) despite the fact that Jesus and StPaul hold love so hign (" And the highest one is love." ).

If you say one part of the bible is obsolete (Leviticus) and another part (Revelations) is not, then I am honestly eager to know the difference.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Aug 10

John 17:17 – does not state we should turn away a sinner.
Leviticus 18:22 - does not state we should turn away a sinner.
Mark 7:21-23 - does not state we should turn away a sinner.
Revelation 1:1; 2:14, 20 - does not state we should turn away a sinner
Corinthians 6:18 – “Flee from sin” – not from the person committing the sin. It does not state we ...[text shortened]... he scriptures, which state we should turn a sinner away. I only see your words which state that.
Wow...Ok then.
Did Jesus not say that "All Scripture is inspired by God"? So if that is true to you then all the condemnation by God of homsexuality would still stand. Correct or not?

Rom. 1:24-27: “God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, that their bodies might be dishonored among them . . . God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error.”

1 Tim. 1:9-11: “Law is promulgated, not for a righteous man, but for persons lawless and unruly, ungodly and sinners, . . . fornicators, men who lie with males, . . . and whatever other thing is in opposition to the healthful teaching according to the glorious good news of the happy God.” (Compare Leviticus 20:13.)
Jude 7: “Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities about them, after they . . . [had] gone out after flesh for unnatural use, are placed before us as a warning example by undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire.” (The name Sodom has become the basis for the word “sodomy,” which usually designates a homosexual practice. Compare Genesis 19:4, 5, 24, 25.)

1 Cor. 6:9-11: “Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men . . . will inherit God’s kingdom. And yet that is what some of you were. But you have been washed clean, but you have been sanctified, but you have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God.”
Regardless of such a background, if persons now abandon their former unclean practices, apply Jehovah’s righteous standards, and exercise faith in his provision for forgiveness of sins through Christ, they can enjoy a clean standing before God. After reforming, they may be welcomed in the Christian congregation.

True Christians know that even deeply rooted wrong desires, including those that may have a genetic basis or that involve physical causes or environmental factors, are not insurmountable for persons who truly want to please Jehovah. Some people are by nature highly emotional. Perhaps in the past they gave free rein to fits of anger; but knowledge of God’s will, the desire to please him, and the help of his spirit enable them to develop self-control. A person may be an alcoholic, but, with proper motivation, he can refrain from drinking and thus avoid becoming a drunkard. Likewise, a person may feel strongly attracted to others of the same sex, but by heeding the counsel of God’s Word he can remain clean from homosexual practices. (See Ephesians 4:17-24.)
Jehovah does not allow us to go on thinking that wrong conduct really makes no difference; he kindly but firmly warns us of the consequences and provides abundant help for those who want to “strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe [themselves] with the new personality.”—Col. 3:9, 10.

How can the wrongness of homosexuality not be any clearer here with these scriptures?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Aug 10
2 edits

Wow...Ok then.
Did Jesus not say that "All Scripture is inspired by God"?
Did he? I didn't know that. Is he quoted in the Bible as saying so?
What do you think he meant by 'scripture' in that context? (remember, that at the time none of the New Testament existed.)

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Aug 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
Did he? I didn't know that. Is he quoted in the Bible as saying so?
What do you think he meant by 'scripture' in that context? (remember, that at the time none of the New Testament existed.)
Jesus never said that. Paul did, in his second epistle to Timothy.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
10 Aug 10

Jesus Christ came down to Earth and in the NT, had over written the laws in the OT when He gave the Sermon on the Mount. Leviticus is in the OT. Christians follow (or should follow) the teachings of Jesus Christ - not the laws in the OT. Just my thoughts on the subject.
And that's why Muslims think you are idol worshippers.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
10 Aug 10

Originally posted by duecer
the difference that seems to divide Christianity is whether a group believes that Christ was the fulfillment of Levitical law or not.
That makes sense.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Aug 10

Originally posted by bbarr
Jesus never said that. Paul did, in his second epistle to Timothy.
Your correct as I miss quoted. Sorry.
But Jesus made many quotes and refered many time to the Old Testiment. So the many scriptures that were written about Gods hatred and condeming of that practice never changed with Jesus and he would have the same opinion as his Father. Why would his Father hate it and even kill over it but Jesus would think differently and just overlook the practise of it?
And for you Trinitarians who think Jesus is God anyway then it would make sense to you that Jesus would be God in a strange way and would have his same thoughts.

j

Moves
10 Aug 10
2 edits

Your correct as I miss quoted. Sorry.
But Jesus made many quotes and refered many time to the Old Testiment. So the many scriptures that were written about Gods hatred and condeming of that practice never changed with Jesus and he would have the same opinion as his Father. Why would his Father hate it and even kill over it but Jesus would think differ ...[text shortened]... uld make sense to you that Jesus would be God in a strange way and would have his same thoughts.
bbarr is an atheist not a trinitarian.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Aug 10

Originally posted by jaywill
bbarr is an atheist not a trinitarian.
I was talking in general.... 🙂

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Aug 10

Aid's and other diseases and the design of the human bodies and reproduction to continue the human race to start!!!!
HIV and other STD's can be transfered between hetrosexual people also, i don't quite see your point.

Homosexual beahviour has been observed in numerous animals, here's a list for you to peruse at your leisure -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

So your claim that homosexuality is 'unnatural', is unfounded. In fact it would be unnatural if there wasn't homosexual beahviour exhibited by humans.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
HIV and other STD's can be transfered between hetrosexual people also, i don't quite see your point.

Homosexual beahviour has been observed in numerous animals, here's a list for you to peruse at your leisure -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

So your claim that homosexuality is 'unnatural', is unfound ...[text shortened]... d. In fact it would be unnatural if there wasn't homosexual beahviour exhibited by humans.
Aids started with homosexual activity if I'm not mistaken and their style of sex is at greater risk: http://aids.about.com/od/technicalquestions/f/oral.htm
And I would like to think because of our morals and what we can perceive from God's word and hopefully a consept of morals that we are not to be compaired to animals. I believe God expects a little more from us than an animal....
I'm curious to know your moral feelings on beastiality? Is it wrong?

g

Moves
11 Aug 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
And that's why Muslims think you are idol worshippers.
It really does not matter to me what a Muslim thinks my friend. Why should it? I don't live by what a Muslim thinks.

g

Moves
11 Aug 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b] I believe the act of homosexuality is a sin, just like I believe sex before marriage is a sin.

This could use some clarification. Is it your belief that the act of homosexuality is a sin even if they are married? If you answer is "yes", can you support that belief via the teachings of Jesus? Also are you opposed to the LDS stance against gay ri ...[text shortened]... hey don't remain celibate. Would you continue to welcome such an individual into your life?[/b]
I don't see why not. It's not my position to turn anyone away. We are commanded to forgive all men (including women of course). I don't see anything wrong with that. In my opinion, should I turn away anyone and not welcome them, I would be keeping hatred in my heart (not forgiveness).