1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 15:091 edit
    A local sheriff in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has issued a public statement telling all the residents to buy weapons and arm themselves because the police department has been cut back because of budget issues. He says the public needs to take the law into their own hands to protect their "property" because the police may not show up in time if an intruder happens to come into their home.

Lots of discussion and problems with this order from this sheriff and even the mayor says this is a really bad idea.

But this sheriff says you need a gun to protect your property such as your car, you personal items in your house, etc.

My question on this property issue is this... What value is on a persons life?
    Is their life worth killing for a TV? Is their life worth killing for a car? Is their life worth a box of food they may be after for their children?

Don't misunderstand me as someone stealing is wrong and they should be legally punished. That is a given fact.

But according to this sheriff and the message he is saying and one that many will now take as a green light to kill another human just because he wants something in your possision, it is now ok to take the law into your own hands and "take them out".

So the question needs to be reversed. Is your life worth a TV? Is your life worth a car? Is your life worth a box of food? Should you be put to death by your neighbor with no questions asked if you were to take one of these items from your neighbor?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 15:44
    yes, so basically the dumbass anounced to every criminal in their vicinity the police is too busy to give a fuk
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 15:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes, so basically the dumbass anounced to every criminal in their vicinity the police is too busy to give a fuk
    There is one obvious kink in his statement....
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 15:53
    Originally posted by galveston75
    A local sheriff in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has issued a public statement telling all the residents to buy weapons and arm themselves because the police department has been cut back because of budget issues. He says the public needs to take the law into their own hands to protect their "property" because the police may not show up in time if an intruder happ ...[text shortened]... neighbor with no questions asked if you were to take one of these items from your neighbor?
    good point. i would also point out that killing somebody in such a violent way would leave most people mentally scarred for the rest of their lives. a stable and healthy mind is worth way more than a flat screen tv. i would only take physical action against a intruder if they attempted to come upstairs. they would never get passed my dogs and their licky tongues death and waggy tails doom.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:05
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    good point. i would also point out that killing somebody in such a violent way would leave most people mentally scarred for the rest of their lives. a stable and healthy mind is worth way more than a flat screen tv. i would only take physical action against a intruder if they attempted to come upstairs. they would never get passed my dogs and their licky tongues death and waggy tails doom.
    There is a new TV show here called "Preppers" and it has to do with people who are preparing for domesday that they see coming in many different forms even just with natural disastors.
    The premise of the show is great because it does teach us all how to prepare for such things as hurricanes and earth quakes. No problems with that at all.
    But in most shows the biggest time is spent on having weapons and defensive measures to "take out" anyone who may want some of those survival items you have stored up.
    Well sure things do get crazy when people panic and feel they have no food, water, etc.
    But....where is the love and caring for your fellow neighbor in all of this? Where has the teachings of love from Jesus gone and being a good Samaritan in all these situations?
    Again is taking anothers life over a can of beans the right, humane and Christian thing to do?
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:12
    There is a new TV show here called "Preppers" and it has to do with people who are preparing for domesday that they see coming in many different forms even just with natural disastors.
    The premise of the show is great because it does teach us all how to prepare for such things as hurricanes and earth quakes. No problems with that at all.
    But in most ...[text shortened]... ain is taking anothers life over a can of beans the right, humane and Christian thing to do?
    i do laugh at the survival nuts, but im also a bit of a hypocrite. my grandma used to have a huge store cupboard full of tinned food, just in case society fell apart. we used to poke fun at her a bit, but in the back of my head i knew whos house id be going to if the world fell apart. to be fair the most dangerous weapon she had was a tin opener so she was hardly a survival nut. in fact i used to always tell her to get more tin openers. imagine if the first one got broke stabbing your neighbor in the eye to protect your tin of sardines.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:15
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i do laugh at the survival nuts, but im also a bit of a hypocrite. my grandma used to have a huge store cupboard full of tinned food, just in case society fell apart. we used to poke fun at her a bit, but in the back of my head i knew whos house id be going to if the world fell apart. to be fair the most dangerous weapon she had was a tin opener so she ...[text shortened]... ne if the first one got broke stabbing your neighbor in the eye to protect your tin of sardines.
    "Death by can opener" on the headstone huh? Lol. But it is sad that some would kill you just for a can of sardines.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:38
    A local sheriff in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has issued a public statement telling all the residents to buy weapons and arm themselves because the police department has been cut back because of budget issues. He says the public needs to take the law into their own hands to protect their "property" because the police may not show up in time if an intruder happ ...[text shortened]... neighbor with no questions asked if you were to take one of these items from your neighbor?
    It would be good for the citizens of that town to check their state laws about the use of excessive force in self-defense.

http://www.moneyinstructor.com/doc/excessiveforce.asp

"Excessive Force:
    How This Can Change Self Defense Into A Crime

"It is a common belief that if you injure someone during the course of defending yourself that you are safe from prosecution. In reality, this is not the case. There is a fine line between self defense and assault and knowing where that line is could safe you a large fine and some serious jail time. "
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:47
    "Death by can opener" on the headstone huh? Lol. But it is sad that some would kill you just for a can of sardines.
    Do you think people in centuries past were ever killed for little or no reason, or do you think it is a feature of our contemporary age?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:521 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think people in centuries past were ever killed for little or no reason, or do you think it is a feature of our contemporary age?
    People have been killed for all sorts of reasons, no doubt some for something trivial, why it should be a feature of this age seems a strange question to ask, why do you think it should be a feature of a particular epoch of time?
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe you should check that out yourself. Nothing I will ever say will answer it for you, RIGHT?
    Add your comments as everyone else here is doing. I don't need you to start this NNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR ending questioning you so love to do with my postings.

So what is your thought on this?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 16:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    People have been killed for all sorts of reasons, no doubt some for something trivial, why it should be a feature of this age seems a strange question to ask, why do you think it should be a feature of a particular epoch of time?
    galveston75 has often asserted that all these terrible things are much worse now and that things were better in the past. I personally don't think that this is true. I am curious as to whether he thinks that the story he has cited is an indication that the world is just getting worse and worse, or whether such killings have always been a feature of everyday life and may even perhaps have been more prevalent in the past.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 17:00
    So what is your thought on this?
    My thought on this is that I would like to know your answer to the question 'do you think people in centuries past were ever killed for little or no reason, or do you think it is a feature of our contemporary age'? [And "Nothing I will ever say will answer it for you, RIGHT?" is not an answer, to my way of thinking.]
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 17:11
    If and Whenever Human Life (your family's and/or yours) is threatened, Shoot...

Twice, Once to the Head and Once to the Heart. It's the Proven Procedure to Kill.

Do so Efficiently. Take Lessons Beforehand. Gun Kept Accessible at All Times.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 17:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    My thought on this is that I would like to know your answer to the question 'do you think people in centuries past were ever killed for little or no reason, or do you think it is a feature of our contemporary age'? [And "Nothing I will ever say will answer it for you, RIGHT?" is not an answer, to my way of thinking.]
    Speak to the hand buddy....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree