Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 08:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Hey christians, why don't you think about these entries:
    http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/abs/long.htm
    An interesting website.

Could we select a book and discuss it? There is so much to go over!

One of my concerns is that this website seems to have a bad translation. I spotted several inconsistencies in the website's supposed translations. Was this on purpose to mislead opponents of the Bible?

I also noticed that the website seems to pick on books that have little literal meaning (Revelation, Genesis)

From reading Genesis, a correct translation, one should view the book as holding basic religious teachings such as God's transcendence, and His preexistence, God making man in the image and likeness of him etc. Genesis is not meant to be read literally. Unfortunately for the website, they base literally all their attacks on literal interpretation making their attacks meaningless to Christians.

Any person who has a little, real, understanding of the Bible knows that you cannot literally translate it and read it. Certain parts we do take literal although other parts we do not. We do not choose one over the other for convienance, but for practical understanding.

As I previously said, an interesting web site.

If one of the supposed "inconsistencies" was valid to determine the Bible as a piece of fraud, why not write about only one?

When Einstein was asked to respond on a book that was titled "One Hundred Authors Against Einstein", he replied, "Why 100? If I were wrong, one would have been enough. ..."

The Bible is about 2000 years old and still strong. Fraudualent works do not last. I think its longetivity is a testament to its true message.

Does anyone have a real arguement to talk about rather than a web site that has an incorrect translation with literal accusations for an non-literal Book of the Bible?
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 12:00
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    An interesting website.

One of my concerns is that this website seems to have a bad translation. I spotted several inconsistencies in the website's supposed translations. Was this on purpose to mislead opponents of the Bible?

I also noticed that the website seems to pick o ...[text shortened]... an incorrect translation with literal accusations for an non-literal Book of the Bible?
    But as you read many of the posts by Christians on this site, they fully support a literal reading of Genesis and Revelation.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 13:28
    An interesting website.

I also noticed that the website seems to pick o ...[text shortened]... an incorrect translation with literal accusations for an non-literal Book of the Bible?
    how are you supposed to know what parts are literal? you could be wrong about which is literal and which is not
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 15:48
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    how are you supposed to know what parts are literal? you could be wrong about which is literal and which is not
    da da, mas vas likuramensche!!! estabetud lase vera!!!!! 🙂
  6. Cosmos
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 16:33
    If it is not all literal, then it can all be effectively discarded as being the word of God.
  7. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 04:24
    Originally posted by howardgee
    If it is not all literal, then it can all be effectively discarded as being the word of God.
    Why?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 04:47
    Why?
    Why you ask? Because Howy says so thats why. So let it be written, so let it be done.
  9. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    24 Dec '06 05:06
    We could be wrong about the way we interpret somthing although that is why people study the Bible extensively.

What we do is we read the subject, in this case Genesis, and we figure out the points of the stories we read. From reading the Creation story we see the point that God is all powerful, he creates man in his own image, etc.
    We also read the story of Noah and how the flood lasted for 40 days and for 40 nights. What is more important? That the flood was 40 days or 40 nights (a long time) or that Noah listened to God and built the ark?

In this case we understand the importance of listening to God even when we receive ridicule from others, and whether the flood lasted exactly 40 days and nights or 41 days and nights is irrelevant. The important thing is to realize that the flood lasted a long time.

Yes I'll admit there always is a possibility for error but that is why we carefully read such works and that is why it took awhile before the Catholic Church brought books together to get what we know as the Bible.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Dec '06 03:511 edit
    We could be wrong about the way we interpret somthing although that is why people study the Bible extensively.

What we do is we read the subject, in this case Genesis, and we figure out the points of the stories we read. From reading the Creation story we see the point that God is all powerful, he creates man in his own image, etc.
    We also read took awhile before the Catholic Church brought books together to get what we know as the Bible.
    Catholic Church selected the bible chapters? I thought Christianity was legitimized in 313 CE by the Edict of Milan and the bible chapters selected by the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Dec '06 04:121 edit
    Catholic Church selected the bible chapters? I thought Christianity was legitimized in 313 CE by the Edict of Milan and the bible chapters selected by the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE.
    Wasn't the Council of Nicaea Catholic?

EDIT: You will find that chapters in the bible vary depending on translation. Do you perhaps mean the bible books? Canonized at the Council of Trent.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Dec '06 17:39
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Wasn't the Council of Nicaea Catholic?

EDIT: You will find that chapters in the bible vary depending on translation. Do you perhaps mean the bible books? Canonized at the Council of Trent.
    The Council of Trent was a direct result of the 'heresies' of Martin Luther, 1200 years after the books of the bible were formalized at nicaea. It was the Emperor Constantine who organized that council not the catholic church.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Dec '06 19:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why you ask? Because Howy says so thats why. So let it be written, so let it be done.
    Ohhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

P-
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Dec '06 21:29
    The Council of Trent was a direct result of the 'heresies' of Martin Luther, 1200 years after the books of the bible were formalized at nicaea. It was the Emperor Constantine who organized that council not the catholic church.
    I'm not to sure about that. To my knowldge the books in the bible were not formally canonized until the Council of Trent in response to the protestant movement introducing more books.

The Council of Nicaea was convoked by the bishop of Alexandria at the suggestion of Emperor Constantine to resolve the dispute over the heresy of Arianism. The Council involved bishops and was lead by a pope. Sounds like the Catholic Church to me...
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Dec '06 21:52
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I'm not to sure about that. To my knowldge the books in the bible were not formally canonized until the Council of Trent in response to the protestant movement introducing more books.

The Council of Nicaea was convoked by the bishop of Alexandria at the suggestion of Emperor Constantine to resolve the dispute over the heresy of Arianism. The Council involved bishops and was lead by a pope. Sounds like the Catholic Church to me...
    Not only Ariansim, but to formally discredit the Gnostics. I guess it was the same kind of thing that happened to Islam, the splits later.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree