1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 03:37
    Originally posted by josephw
    Try not relating.

Relating is just another way of saying conforming.
    no.
    Relating is relating.
    Confroming is conforming.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 14:111 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    no.
    Relating is relating.
    Confroming is conforming.
    If it were related, it would be called reforming.
    BTW, do you have any music posted on myspace or youtube? I compose for acoustic instruments, the world is a much better place for me not singing๐Ÿ™‚ I have a myspace if you want to listen.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 14:47
    After having busked the streets of the world (Well Europe and Australia), I have noticed that I make more money with that R.E.M. song than any other. So much so that I would say that I make tas much money with that song than all the others put together.
    I reckon people identify with the lyrics, although they are just airy-fairy peotic-type words.
    Any ideas? Just coincidence?
    This sounds like an interesting science project, just to find out how much more lucrative this song is, compared to a selection of others.

Maybe you could select 2 or 3 of your best songs, and have a different collecting hat for each. At the start of the day, pre-load these with the same quantity & value of coins (I suspect people are more likely to add to a hat if it already has money in it) and put the appropriate hat out with each song. At the end of the day (or after a few days) you can quantify how much each song earns.

As to why, I can only suggest that is instantly recognisable and chimes with the kind of people who give money.

What other songs do you do? It might be that all your other songs are not as catchy / relevant / appropriate to your style rather than that one being particularly good.

--- Penguin.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 14:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If it were related, it would be called reforming.
    BTW, do you have any music posted on myspace or youtube? I compose for acoustic instruments, the world is a much better place for me not singing๐Ÿ™‚ I have a myspace if you want to listen.
    Dam internet credit. Redhotpawn is the only site that doesn't chew it up. Did I mention I know a guy who lives on 30cents a day?

Yes,YES,please give me the link to your myspace, I will check it out in good time. I knew you did music, but you know...(goddammm internet credit #@*##%%- sorry, just a touch of Terretts this morning).

I recorded some stuff and put it on youtube. It's on the karolyaczel channel. I sing poorly and my music is well... mainly slow and awkward. Singing into a mike doesn't sit as well for me as belting it out on the streets. (Two different voices). There's also a song on there by my girlie Jo. Now she's got a voice. And lyrics and guitar playing to boot. Shame she only put the one song out there...
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 15:06
    Originally posted by Penguin
    This sounds like an interesting science project, just to find out how much more lucrative this song is, compared to a selection of others.

Maybe you could select 2 or 3 of your best songs, and have a different collecting hat for each. At the start of the day, pre-load these with the same quantity & value of coins (I suspect people are more likely to add t ...[text shortened]... levant / appropriate to your style rather than that one being particularly good.

--- Penguin.
    I'm lost in the eighties, bit of early nineties.
    You're prolly right, it's one of the most mainstream tunes I do.
    I just like to play what I like to play, what I grew up with- Violent Femmes, The Cure, Palace Brothers, PIXIES , Janes Addiction ...stuff like that.
    But every now and then I come out with "Wish you were here" or "All Along the Watchtower".
    You're hat idea seems silly at first. I'm a no gimmicks kind of guy when it comes to performing.

"pre-load..." lol. I'd already be at the bottlo if I could pre-load my hat.

Projection. A good attitude. A good spot(like next to a bottlo or an ATM or a supermarket entrance). Do that and you'll make money no matter how shyte you are.
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 15:27
    I'm lost in the eighties, bit of early nineties.
    You're prolly right, it's one of the most mainstream tunes I do.
    I just like to play what I like to play, what I grew up with- Violent Femmes, The Cure, Palace Brothers, PIXIES , Janes Addiction ...stuff like that.
    But every now and then I come out with "Wish you were here" or "All Along the Watchtower ...[text shortened]... a supermarket entrance). Do that and you'll make money no matter how shyte you are.

I think we may have hit upon the reason ;-).

You're hat idea seems silly at first. I'm a no gimmicks kind of guy when it comes to performing.

But you would need to do something like that to properly demonstrate that what you think you see is not just confirmation bias or one of the other weird tricks our minds do on us. what do you collect your money in? Just separate out the money you earn from several different songs to really see how they compare.

--- Penguin
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    [b]I just like to play what I like to play, what I grew up with- Violent Femmes, The Cure, Palace Brothers, PIXIES , Janes Addiction ...stuff like that.

I think we may have hit upon the reason ;-).

But you would need to do something like that ...[text shortened]... the money you earn from several different songs to really see how they compare.

--- Penguin[/b]
    I dont need to do that (separate money). I can tell you that I make a killing with that song. Way,way more than any other.

Busking is a funny thing. you play stuff that is too well known ("knockin on Hevens door", or "Wish You were Here" )and people think "Ahhh, I've heard it before-it's been done."
    But you play a Pixies song and if you hit upon a fan and - Kaching!!! -" oh man thats the Pixies, (or Billy Bragg, or the other day it was ... Neds Atomic Dustbin), here's my change. Cool man!"

Can't wait til they bring in the 5 dollar coin ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway "Losing My Religon" has it all. Widespread radioplay. A good band. Housewives that sit at home "losing their religon" to that song while doing the dishes. You know ...
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 00:20
    I dont need to do that (separate money). I can tell you that I make a killing with that song. Way,way more than any other.

Busking is a funny thing. you play stuff that is too well known ("knockin on Hevens door", or "Wish You were Here" )and people think "Ahhh, I've heard it before-it's been done."
    But you play a Pixies song and if you hit upon a f ...[text shortened]... at home "losing their religon" to that song while doing the dishes. You know ...
    Like living for your dreams and a pocket full of gold?

Psalm 19:7-10

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 02:36

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the ...[text shortened]... desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
    I may not understand your comment properly...perhaps I should give you 24 hours before my retort,eh?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 02:431 edit

The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the ...[text shortened]... desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
    actually two people (on separate occasions), who were drunk, asked me in all honesty if I declare what I make busking to the tax man. you remind me a litttle like them in your tone, but like I mentioned in my other post, i may have misunderstood you

edit: thats not my retort
  11. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 06:21
    "A lot of that era"...you mean people from the nineties. Sounds like you were talking about people from the sixties.

Yes, it does resonate with people. They genuinely want to be rid of their religons it seems ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yep. I'm sure there was one like that anyway then! Or am I thinking of John Lennon. Oh I don't know, just let me outa here before I dement further!
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 14:221 edit
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Yep. I'm sure there was one like that anyway then! Or am I thinking of John Lennon. Oh I don't know, just let me outa here before I dement further!
    thats cause good music is timeless ๐Ÿ™‚
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 01:16
    actually two people (on separate occasions), who were drunk, asked me in all honesty if I declare what I make busking to the tax man. you remind me a litttle like them in your tone, but like I mentioned in my other post, i may have misunderstood you

edit: thats not my retort
    Please retort me or busk me or whatever it is you do.

The line is from a song by Led Zeplin. Maybe that was before your time.
  14. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 05:32

So what do you do that I can "pfffft" at?
    I make that pffffft noise. ๐Ÿ™‚
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 20:25
    Please retort me or busk me or whatever it is you do.

The line is from a song by Led Zeplin. Maybe that was before your time.
    Without futhur clarification I will do exactly that.
    I'm actuallly trying to write a movie. very spiritual stuff ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree