1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    13 Jun '11 03:47
    After having busked the streets of the world (Well Europe and Australia), I have noticed that I make more money with that R.E.M. song than any other. So much so that I would say that I make tas much money with that song than all the others put together.
    I reckon people identify with the lyrics, although they are just airy-fairy peotic-type words.
    Any ideas? Just coincidence?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    13 Jun '11 04:18
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    After having busked the streets of the world (Well Europe and Australia), I have noticed that I make more money with that R.E.M. song than any other. So much so that I would say that I make tas much money with that song than all the others put together.
    I reckon people identify with the lyrics, although they are just airy-fairy peotic-type words.
    Any ideas? Just coincidence?
    WTF are you talking about?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    13 Jun '11 04:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    WTF are you talking about?
    It is my theory that poeple (especially middle aged females) relate to the lyrics of that song. Do you think it's just coincidence, or would I make just as much money singing "losing my underpants"?
  4. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    7680
    13 Jun '11 14:06
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    It is my theory that poeple (especially middle aged females) relate to the lyrics of that song. Do you think it's just coincidence, or would I make just as much money singing "losing my underpants"?
    A lot of that era tried idealism and didn't see it eventuate and encountered a world that was deeply questioning its unexamined beliefs. They encountered assassinations of idealists, and the church's easy shallow answers, with accompanying violin strings and emotional hymns were not enough. It was also a time when New Age stuff started to arise more strongly, as a symptom. It was a strongly personal re-formation time for many and that is why I think the song resonates - but not with the die-hards. It's also a good tune, with catchy lyrics.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    13 Jun '11 20:59
    Originally posted by Taoman
    A lot of that era tried idealism and didn't see it eventuate and encountered a world that was deeply questioning its unexamined beliefs. They encountered assassinations of idealists, and the church's easy shallow answers, with accompanying violin strings and emotional hymns were not enough. It was also a time when New Age stuff started to arise more strongly, ...[text shortened]... k the song resonates - but not with the die-hards. It's also a good tune, with catchy lyrics.
    "A lot of that era"...you mean people from the nineties. Sounds like you were talking about people from the sixties.

    Yes, it does resonate with people. They genuinely want to be rid of their religons it seems 😀
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    13 Jun '11 21:01
    Pffft
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    13 Jun '11 21:072 edits
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Pffft
    These two kids (bout 8 and 12) sat and watched me play that song yesterday. Y'know what kids are like-they tell you how it is.
    One said: "You sounded just like the guy on the radio",another intoxicated man the other day said:"Alright!! The Fine Young Cannibals!".

    I started this thread from a lifetime of experience. People see something spiritual in that song . It empowers them in some way. I've seen it.

    So what do you do that I can "pfffft" at?
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    13 Jun '11 23:01
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    After having busked the streets of the world (Well Europe and Australia), I have noticed that I make more money with that R.E.M. song than any other. So much so that I would say that I make tas much money with that song than all the others put together.
    I reckon people identify with the lyrics, although they are just airy-fairy peotic-type words.
    Any ideas? Just coincidence?
    I had no idea you were a musician. Busking can get pretty wild at times. It's a hard way to go. I've never done it but I have observed it, and it looks like it could get out of hand. People can be be real jerks to a guy on the street. You must be one tough dude. I admire your moxy !
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    13 Jun '11 23:44
    Originally posted by buckky
    I had no idea you were a musician. Busking can get pretty wild at times. It's a hard way to go. I've never done it but I have observed it, and it looks like it could get out of hand. People can be be real jerks to a guy on the street. You must be one tough dude. I admire your moxy !
    Quite right buckky.
    Can be a tough way to go.
    But there is no substitute for quality and honesty.

    Everyone has a calling in life. I've found mine.

    Charlies busking law no.1: The more out of hand it can get is porportionate to the amount of money you can make.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    13 Jun '11 23:47
    spiritual? 1000%
    (just in case anyone was thinking this thread belonged somewhere else 🙂 )
  11. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    7051
    14 Jun '11 00:29
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    After having busked the streets of the world (Well Europe and Australia), I have noticed that I make more money with that R.E.M. song than any other. So much so that I would say that I make tas much money with that song than all the others put together.
    I reckon people identify with the lyrics, although they are just airy-fairy peotic-type words.
    Any ideas? Just coincidence?
    R.E.M is pretty good.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    14 Jun '11 00:33
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    R.E.M is pretty good.
    Yeah, but they should quit now. They made it to their aim of staying together until 2000🙂
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12735
    14 Jun '11 02:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    After having busked the streets of the world (Well Europe and Australia), I have noticed that I make more money with that R.E.M. song than any other. So much so that I would say that I make tas much money with that song than all the others put together.
    I reckon people identify with the lyrics, although they are just airy-fairy peotic-type words.
    Any ideas? Just coincidence?
    Are you saying you are losing your religion because of an R.E.M. song?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91928
    14 Jun '11 03:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Are you saying you are losing your religion because of an R.E.M. song?
    No.
    i'm saying somehow people relate to those lyrics even though they are largley non-sensical.
    "losing my religon"-it's totally spiritual 😵
  15. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    14 Jun '11 03:35
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    No.
    i'm saying somehow people relate to those lyrics even though they are largley non-sensical.
    "losing my religon"-it's totally spiritual 😵
    Try not relating.

    Relating is just another way of saying conforming.
Back to Top