1. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 May '08 04:17
    What do your churches say concerning lotteries? Mine (Lutheran) stand firmly against them--[I do not], and I've read the UUs are pretty freedom-of-choice on such issues. So I'm curious on the other denominations--anyone know their church's stance on playing the Power Ball?
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    03 May '08 04:48
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    What do your churches say concerning lotteries? Mine (Lutheran) stand firmly against them--[I do not], and I've read the UUs are pretty freedom-of-choice on such issues. So I'm curious on the other denominations--anyone know their church's stance on playing the Power Ball?
    Why would a church oppose them? I mean, the proceeds invariably help the sorts of
    governmental programs that the Christian churches normally support. If played in moderation,
    there's nothing wrong with them. The Roman Church makes a bundle on church bingo.
  3. England
    Moves
    03 May '08 11:46
    having a gamble is not a sin tho it can be if the person is useing funds that should be used for others, ie if a woman/man bets useing money that is taken away from paying thier bills or feeding there children. so if a person works and has payed there dues and has some spare they can do with it as they wish.
  4. England
    Moves
    03 May '08 11:51
    on another note tho, was thinking about what your post, if some one gambles while on benifits is that person duty bound to repay there benifit if they win a lot of money, say £1,000,000 or above.
  5. Standard memberepic0002
    Black Mark
    walking to and fro
    Moves
    03 May '08 13:31
    The New testament and its laws have never been about the "act" of something... but the "thought". Is there anything wrong with laying down a dollar in hopes of winning a million? I believe it depends on your heart. We are not to desire to be rich, the LOVE of money is the root, and the bible states it is almost impossible for a rich man to enter heaven.What do you want to do with your millions?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 May '08 13:52
    Originally posted by epic0002
    The New testament and its laws have never been about the "act" of something... but the "thought". Is there anything wrong with laying down a dollar in hopes of winning a million? I believe it depends on your heart. We are not to desire to be rich, the LOVE of money is the root, and the bible states it is almost impossible for a rich man to enter heaven.What do you want to do with your millions?
    Spend them. If I'm fast enough, I won't be rich when I die and then I can enter heaven.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 May '08 16:241 edit
    Originally posted by epic0002
    Totally agree. Wealth is a fantastic servant but a miserable master. Both materialistic 'love of money' and compulsive gambling are quite

capable of becoming dominant control forces of piorities and even of the defined purpose of life itself. Reason is because they're lusts

(along with sexual, chemical, approbation, legalism, etc.). Interesting aspect is that each of us has a different area of strength, area of

weakness and lust pattern in our human nature. Whole issue is who/what controls your life. Casual gambling can be terrific entertainment.

😀
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 May '08 17:13
    Originally posted by stoker
    on another note tho, was thinking about what your post, if some one gambles while on benifits is that person duty bound to repay there benifit if they win a lot of money, say £1,000,000 or above.
    Not that I am aware of. If an unemployed street person wins the lottery on Wednesday, he doesn't have to return the food stamps he got on Monday.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 May '08 17:15
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Why would a church oppose them? I mean, the proceeds invariably help the sorts of
    governmental programs that the Christian churches normally support. If played in moderation,
    there's nothing wrong with them. The Roman Church makes a bundle on church bingo.
    I agree with you, but the argument I hear is that any $$ spent on gambling could be better used elsewhere. Note--I do NOT agree with that argument--it has too many holes in it.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 May '08 18:45
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    What about the school of thought that it is basically a poor man's tax?
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 May '08 19:25
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I've always heard of it being called an "idiot tax" too. Since it basically is throwing your money away.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 May '08 19:403 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I've always heard of it being called an "idiot tax" too. Since it basically is throwing your money away.
    Agree, Psycho. MA lottery is extraordinarily sophisticated, i.e., worst/most 'confiscatory' state going. My world

traveled Boston area nephew, long ago, named MA lottery tickets & scratchers cards a 'tax on the stupid.'

🙂

P.S. Decades ago Colgate Palmolive office was next to the Sears Tower
    on Jackson Boulevard and resided those fantastic years in Wheaton.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    03 May '08 19:50
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I don't remember any Catholic church I was in expressing an opinion about lotteries. Then again, many rely on BINGO as a source of income.
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    03 May '08 19:53
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I was telling my stepmother a couple weeks ago that the lottery is a tax on people who are poor at math (a relative's words). This conversation was on a Sunday. She called me on Thursday to let me know that she won $10,000 on Powerball. 😳
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 May '08 20:24
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    I was telling my stepmother a couple weeks ago that the lottery is a tax on people who are poor at math (a relative's words). This conversation was on a Sunday. She called me on Thursday to let me know that she won $10,000 on Powerball. 😳
    and spent it on more lottery tickets, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree