1. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 13:08
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Did you forget about that thread which you were going to think about
    and give a considered reply?

Nemesio
    My apologies, I did. Would you be so kind as to remind me of the name of the thread?
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 16:07
    Originally posted by kingdanwa
    My apologies, I did. Would you be so kind as to remind me of the name of the thread?
    I bumped it for you. It's in a Good Example of Evil.
  3. Joined
    23 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '05 20:30
    I absolutely agree, although he was not the first to call for reform, some may argue that the German mystics were early reformers, as well as John Huss, or even Savonrola, and many others who were more often than not used as firewood to keep the Roman Political Palace warm. By the time Luther came along, Wittenberg’s location, the printing press, and political pressure helped him avoid such a fiery ordeal, although that did not stop them from trying... By the time Luther came around the Gospel was of least importance to the Church as much as political power and survival from debt.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 07:36
    Originally posted by Eingaben
    I absolutely agree, although he was not the first to call for reform
    I'd forgotten about Jan Hus. What a war that was.

Luther was the Man of the Moment, it appears. I wonder how these Moments are arranged.

To me, historically, reformation-->protestantism-->materialism.
  5. Standard memberVillager
    Peasant
    England
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 08:24
    I found Luther to be quite a fascinating figure. Historically it's easy to overstate his importance - if it weren't for him the chances are it would have been somebody else. On the other hand, perhaps if it weren't for him the 'critical mass' of factors that had built up would have dissipated and history would look very different.

I think you're right to trace a certain line betwixt Luther and materialism, though only in an indirect sense: I'm sure the notion would have abhorred him. From a personal, non-Christian perspective, I regard him as one of the undisputable greats of history: he transformed (with help, of course, men seldom change history by themselves) Christianity to a much more palatable religious offering.

I haven't seen the film, but if he's portrayed as uncertain at times that certain fits with what I've studied of the man himself.
  6. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    28 Aug '05 11:56
    Can someone explain the Luther--->Materialism connection to me?
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 13:11
    Can someone explain the Luther--->Materialism connection to me?
    Is there a certain teaching of Luther's that materialism springs out of?
  8. Joined
    29 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 17:55
    Is there a certain teaching of Luther's that materialism springs out of?
    kingdanwa,

perhaps he is referring to the fact that later Luther was more comfortable with the material (his view of the sacraments, keeping the worship traditions of Catholicism) than his radical reformation counterparts. To paraphrase Lewis: "God likes matter. He created it."

Those Crazy Anabaptists!
  9. Joined
    10 Dec '03
    Moves
    29 Aug '05 18:20
    Originally posted by Villager
    I think you're right to trace a certain line betwixt Luther and materialism, though only in an indirect sense: I'm sure the notion would have abhorred him. From a personal, non-Christian perspective, I regard him as one of the undisputable greats of history: he transformed [...] Christianity to a much more palatable religious offering.
    Luther would have been equally disgusted by the idea that he had "transformed" Christianity at all. Re-formation was the key idea for Luther, and others like him at the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree