Meaning of Prayer

Meaning of Prayer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
01 May 07

I was just curious for you to explain the purpose and/or meaning of prayer in your life, for those of you interested. It might be interesting to compare...all religions welcome!

Discussion-Starting Ideas:

Why do you pray?
When/how often do you pray?
Do you think God can/will/does answer your prayers?
About what do you pray?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
I was just curious for you to explain the purpose and/or meaning of prayer in your life, for those of you interested. It might be interesting to compare...all religions welcome!

Discussion-Starting Ideas:

Why do you pray?
When/how often do you pray?
Do you think God can/will/does answer your prayers?
About what do you pray?
I pray for many different reasons, but primarily because we are commanded to pray. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

All the time. Same verse.

God always answers prayer, but sometimes the answer is no.

I pray about everything I can think of. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by josephw
I pray for many different reasons, but primarily because we are commanded to pray. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

All the time. Same verse.

God always answers prayer, but sometimes the answer is no.

I pray about everything I can think of. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
You're saying you mainly pray because you are told to...this makes prayer seem like a routine duty; that said, do you find prayer as meaningful each time?

I'll admit, for example, there are many times when I catch myself just mumbling along the Lord's Prayer and not actually contemplating what I am saying, so it isn't as meaningful and not as effective, either.

Also, are you sure that God answers all prayers? If that's the case, how does he answer the prayer of a terminally ill patient (say, infected with HIV or cancer)? I know my fair share of devout theists who have died in one way or another...and I don't think an omnibenevolent God would say "no." Maybe this brings up another point on what we should pray for...?

Just food for thought

E

Moves
01 May 07

i pray to try to talk to God but i have found when i pray about something that is bothering me and i ask him for help and forgiveness, that he wont make it better for you; only you can do that.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
02 May 07

You're saying you mainly pray because you are told to...this makes prayer seem like a routine duty; that said, do you find prayer as meaningful each time?

I'll admit, for example, there are many times when I catch myself just mumbling along the Lord's Prayer and not actually contemplating what I am saying, so it isn't as meaningful and not as effective ...[text shortened]... ybe this brings up another point on what we should pray for...?

Just food for thought
I don't pray obviously, but I the notion of mindlessly mumbling something as you suggest reminds me of the mantras that some eastern religious followers get into.
I must admit to doing something similar at times of physical stress. When I'm doing a lengthy bushwalk up a mountain and the weight of my pack is just 'killing' me, I'll start on a sort of mantra to take my mind off the pain. Is this prayer? I wouldn't call it that, but perhaps a religious person might.

E

Moves
02 May 07

sometimes i pray in my sleep, and that is when the truth comes out

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 May 07

I'll admit, for example, there are many times when I catch myself just mumbling along the Lord's Prayer and not actually contemplating what I am saying, so it isn't as meaningful and not as effective ...[text shortened]... ybe this brings up another point on what we should pray for...?

Just food for thought
Did you read the verse I referenced? Pray without ceasing. It's a grace command. I know that God hears me when ever or what ever I think or say. It is never a burden or a chore that is routine or boring. As christians we know that we have continuous and immediate access to God. Knowing that, and knowing God hears me, I receive joy and peace. Even when I don't get what I want. But I already have everything I need, so my prayers are mainly thanks giving.

Actually, the Lord's prayer is a formula, and not meant for recitation. You will probably find that something to debate about, but that would not necessarily be needful as it would only generate misunderstanding.

Is there some reason why you would think that God doesn't hear the prayers of his sons and daughters?
Do you not think God is trustworthy?
God is not like a man or a human father. His love is perfect and he never fails us. I am a father with sons and daughters, and I try to give them everything they need and as much as they want as I judge is good for them. It isn't easy to say "no" sometimes, but as their father I know what is best for them even when they don't.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
02 May 07

Originally posted by josephw
Did you read the verse I referenced? Pray without ceasing. It's a grace command. I know that God hears me when ever or what ever I think or say. It is never a burden or a chore that is routine or boring. As christians we know that we have continuous and immediate access to God. Knowing that, and knowing God hears me, I receive joy and peace. Even when I don' ...[text shortened]... y "no" sometimes, but as their father I know what is best for them even when they don't.
Alright, much of what you said makes good sense, until you got to that last paragraph...

Are you saying God believes it is best for some of his followers to suffer a slow, tormenting, unstoppable death? Why? In what way is this "best" for them that they do not understand? As I have come to believe from previous threads, omnibenevolence and fate have much trouble coexisting in (any) God...