1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '17 20:003 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If that were the case then Paul would have said so in simple language. Instead he states that those Christian saints who defile themselves [commit grievous sins] , they will be DESTROYED.

DESTROYED is not discipline, neither is it perfecting his sons.

Your church doctrine is nonsense and contrary to the Bible.
    Check your Strong's Exhaustive Concordance on the word translated in the English as DESTROY. It is Greek Dictionary entry #5351.

Now notice that it is not the same Greek word translated DESTROY in the following passages:

Second Thessalonians 2:8

"King James Version
    And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

That there is another word, entry #2673.

Neither is it the same word for English DESTROY in Hebrews 2:14)

King James Bible

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

That is the same Greek word used in the above 2 Thess.2:8

Destroy Antichrist #2673
    Destroy the Devil #2673

BUT the destroy of First Corinthians 3:17 is a different word as we see - entry #5351 [edited]

"If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him; ..."

This could indicate that the Holy Spirit inspired the writers to use a different word because it called for to express the nuance of the difference.

I checked my Concordance carefully for any other usage of destroy or destroyed [entry#5351] pertaining to eternal perdition. And I could find none.

Check me,
    Double check me in case I missed something.

For this word used in First Corinthians 3:17 - [#5351] phtheiro takes this definition:

to pine, to waste
    to shrivel or wither

corrupt, ruin, defile, destroy

The closest word I found for an english destroy which seems related to phtheiro [#5351] is a few entries down - phthora [#5356]

That word is used for the following passage:

"But these like animals without reason, born natural for capture and destruction ..." (2 Pet. 2:12)

Some overlap in definition is seen between
    phtheiro [#5351]
    phthora [#5356]

The latter taking definitions -

ruin, inflicted, corruption, destroy, perish

Your case, I think, would be stronger if the word for destroy pertaining to the Antichrist and the Devil were exactly the same as that for destroy for the Christian who has the Holy Spirit yet defiles with his inferior materials the temple of God, the church.

At any rate, the context strongly indicates that the one destroyed in verse 17 of 1 Cor. 3 is the same one/s who "suffer loss ... but ...[are] saved, yet so as through fire."

Since they are saved (yet so as through fire) this cannot refer to eternal perdition in verse 17.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '17 20:351 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Check your [b]Strong's Exhaustive Concordance on the word translated in the English as DESTROY. It is Greek Dictionary entry #5351.

Now notice that it is not the same Greek word translated DESTROY in the following passages:

Second Thessalonians 2:8

[quote] "King James Version
    And then shall that ...[text shortened]... ince they are saved (yet so as through fire) this cannot refer to eternal perdition in verse 17.[/b]
    Still it is DESTROY. The wording of Paul is for THREE SEPARATE GROUPS. Simple reading ability will show this, Here is the passage:

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.(1 Corinthians 3:14-17 KJV)

THREE GROUPS. Three times Paul states "if any man.."

1. Good work and reward
    2. Nothing good but still saved
    3. Defilers of God - DESTRUCTION.

iT IS SIMPLE.
    IT MATCHES JESUS 3 GROUPS EXACTLY.
    iT CONFORMS TO THE REST OF THE APOSTLES TEACHINGS.

But I know you, you are a false teacher by nature. You cannot stomach the truth.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '17 22:081 edit
    1. Good work and reward

iT IS SIMPLE.

But I know you, you are a false teacher by nature. You cannot stomach the truth.

What you completely fail to see is that the burning up of the inferior materials is done BECAUSE they mar, defile and destroy the holy temple of God.

Therefore the ones who are destroying the temple of God in verse 17 are the very ones whose inferior building materials cannot survive the fiery examination.

What you fail to grasp is that the destroying of verse 17 corresponds to the burning up and consuming of verse 15.

It is not so much a matter of having a strong stomach.
    It is more a matter of having a clear mind.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '17 22:221 edit
    1. Good work and reward

iT IS SIMPLE.

What you completely fail to see is that the burning ...[text shortened]... s not so much a matter of having a strong stomach.
    It is more a matter of having a clear mind.
    This thing called English Comprehension is a hell of a skill .. you need to try to get it

The passage speaks of burning yes but burning or trying their work,. In the first two cases the work passes. Group 1 passes with flying colours. Group 2 just barely. Again this corresponds exactly to what Jesus preached. THE FIRE IS FOR THEIR WORK TO TRY IT [not the man] AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LAST GROUP..

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.(1 Corinthians 3:13-17 KJV)

GOD DESTROYS THE LAST GROUP. .. DESTROYS THE MAN / PEOPLE IN THE LAST GROUP

It says nothing about fire in the last group.

The first 2 groups are tried by fire. The last group is destroyed .. nothing about fire.

Again Paul is in complete agreement with Christ and Peter.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 May '17 22:401 edit
    Repetition won't help you.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 May '17 23:11
    Repetition won't help you.
    Of course repeat the same incorrect thing any amount of times you like.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree