Memory and the Soul

Memory and the Soul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Bingo!

There is truth to what both of you say. As twitehead points out, it cannot generally be applied to all forms of spirituality (I'm using the general term 'spirituality' rather than 'theism' in particular); e.g. those that require the soul to "ascend" to a new plane of existence etc. But, as you point out, belief systems that believe in the re ...[text shortened]... about Thomism, it should've been obvious that it was compatible with Christianity... 😉)
It is still far from clear whether the 'resurrected body' has any resemblance to the person who died. Does the soul carried forward contain only memories present at the time of death or those gathered throughout life? Is the 'resurected body' the same as that at the time of death or chosen from some perfect time during life or is it some new entity yet somehow maintaining the essence of the origional body?
Is conciousness also a property of this new body?

Z

Where she wnts me...

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
It is still far from clear whether the 'resurrected body' has any resemblance to the person who died. Does the soul carried forward contain only memories present at the time of death or those gathered throughout life? Is the 'resurected body' the same as that at the time of death or chosen from some perfect time during life or is it some new entity yet so ...[text shortened]... aining the essence of the origional body?
I believe that the soul, after it has been stripped of its shell (the body) retains the special memories of the lifetime. The souls met in this lifetime will be the ones in the next. Souls tend to attract familiar ones.

l

London

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
It is still far from clear whether the 'resurrected body' has any resemblance to the person who died. Does the soul carried forward contain only memories present at the time of death or those gathered throughout life? Is the 'resurected body' the same as that at the time of death or chosen from some perfect time during life or is it some new entity yet so ...[text shortened]... aining the essence of the origional body?
In Christian theology, the resurrected body will not be identical to the one at death. The resurrected person will have all the memories of his/her life, as well as consciousness.