1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 05:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Scientists do not deny the existence of the 'Mind'.
    There is even a magazine called "Scientific American MIND" that has scientific articles about the Mind.
    Do you mean to say that science recognises the existence of a non physical entity like Mind?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 05:541 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Do you mean to say that science recognises the existence of a non physical entity like Mind?
    Yes. Why wouldn't it?
    I am a computer programmer, and I recognise the existence of non physical entities called computer programs.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 07:08
    Yes. Why wouldn't it?
    I am a computer programmer, and I recognise the existence of non physical entities called computer programs.
    You are recognising the existence of the lines of binary code residing in the hardware in the form essentially of electricity.Nothing nonphysical there.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 09:06
    You are recognising the existence of the lines of binary code residing in the hardware in the form essentially of electricity.Nothing nonphysical there.
    No, I recognise the existence of computer programs, in the form of Java code, that can be copied from one pc to another across the internet of even memorised in my head. They are decidedly non-physical.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 09:25
    No, I recognise the existence of computer programs, in the form of Java code, that can be copied from one pc to another across the internet of even memorised in my head. They are decidedly non-physical.
    The lines of the program in your head are the well trodden neuronal paths along which the charges are fired. The lines of the program which travel from one PC to another PC are in the form of electromagnetic waves. Nothing nonphysical about either.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 11:47
    The lines of the program in your head are the well trodden neuronal paths along which the charges are fired. The lines of the program which travel from one PC to another PC are in the form of electromagnetic waves. Nothing nonphysical about either.
    It sounds like it is you that doesn't believe the Mind is non-physical. Are you perhaps the 'scientist' you were referring to?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 13:43
    Originally posted by Taoman
    It is delightful when one encounters a new and deeply interesting aspect of something common. I have just encountered the following, although I was aquainted with additive and substractive aspects of color, which I was exploring at the time.

As I read this I began to see alignments with some metaphysical abstractions, particularly, but not only, in relatio ...[text shortened]... ource: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory
    (Paragraphing inserted)
    I like yellow, all my t-shirts are yellow!
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 13:44
    It sounds like it is you that doesn't believe the Mind is non-physical. Are you perhaps the 'scientist' you were referring to?
    Well,you and I both know that Mind is nonphysical. Since you gave the incorrect example of a computer program being a nonphysical entity that science acknowledges the existence of,it had to be refuted. Let us get back to Mind,if you don't mind! Where in the physical world is the mind located? If it is different than Brain, how different?Does science also acknowledge the existence of other nonphysical entities like Will,Emotions, Love, Friendship,Faith,Soul?
  9. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 13:551 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Practically everything else the evolutionist does explain it in a way that
    supports evolution even though it is easier to lose old information than
    gain new information. On another thread I was given a link to a site
    on the evolution of a woodpecker. They saw the woodpecker that was
    pecking on the ground for his food as one that had not evolved enough ...[text shortened]... st information that made him unable to peck in trees for his
    food. A difference in viewpoints.
    May I request if you wish to use the post for yet another endless evolution- creation discussion, kindly don't. We have this discussion ad nauseum elsewhere. Thank you. Please focus on the topic.
    Start a new post if you wish.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 14:35
    Well,you and I both know that Mind is nonphysical.
    Although we apparently disagree about what that means!

Since you gave the incorrect example of a computer program being a nonphysical entity that science acknowledges the existence of,it had to be refuted.
    It may seem like an incorrect example to you, but it fits my understanding of a non physical mind.

Let us get back to Mind,if you don't mind! Where in the physical world is the mind located?
    A copy of it is stored and implemented in the brain.

If it is different than Brain, how different?
    Is is the behavior of the brain, the process that results from the physical interactions.

Does science also acknowledge the existence of other nonphysical entities like Will,Emotions, Love, Friendship,Faith,Soul?
    Yes, although 'soul' only in under some meanings (eg soul music), but not 'I have a soul that will go to heaven'.
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 16:56
    Although we apparently disagree about what that means!

[b]Since you gave the incorrect example of a computer program being a nonphysical entity that science acknowledges the existence of,it had to be refuted.

It may seem like an incorrect example to you, but it fits my understanding of a non physical mind.

Let us get back to Mind,if you don' ...[text shortened]... nly in under some meanings (eg soul music), but not 'I have a soul that will go to heaven'.
    One more question to you and one comment, and I think I will get off this thread as I might have abused the kindness of Taoman reg.the object of this thread. The question: If the Mind is copied into the Brain,where is the original located and in what form? The comment: do you know that modern neuroscience says that there is no such thing as Will?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '11 20:59
    One more question to you and one comment, and I think I will get off this thread as I might have abused the kindness of Taoman reg.the object of this thread. The question: If the Mind is copied into the Brain,where is the original located and in what form?
    The mind isn't copied into the brain. It is a result of the process of the brain functioning. It is not the computer program, it is what the computer program does - the behaviour.

However, it is theoretically possible to copy the mind into another computer.

The comment: do you know that modern neuroscience says that there is no such thing as Will?
    No, I don't. But I suspect that whether it does or not depends on what you mean by 'will'.
  13. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 01:00
    One more question to you and one comment, and I think I will get off this thread as I might have abused the kindness of Taoman reg.the object of this thread. The question: If the Mind is copied into the Brain,where is the original located and in what form? The comment: do you know that modern neuroscience says that there is no such thing as Will?
    I find your and tw's posts apropos to the nature of reality, mind, and mental perceptions, which are discussions that arise from the nature of color perception in the article I posted. Your remarks are interesting and connected.

The really interesting thing to me is these "imaginary" colors that can't be produced, yet are needed for a full spectrum. Those we can reproduce can only produce a limited spectrum.
    My mind makes connections, some explorative, and I see some echoes of "imaginary" numbers needed in mathematics to complete it.

"Imaginary" things that are real and needed, "real" things that are imaginary.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 04:291 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I like yellow, all my t-shirts are yellow!
    It goes with your character.

P.S. Just joking. Ha! Ha!
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Sep '11 04:36
    Originally posted by Taoman
    May I request if you wish to use the post for yet another endless evolution- creation discussion, kindly don't. We have this discussion ad nauseum elsewhere. Thank you. Please focus on the topic.
    Start a new post if you wish.
    That is a good idea. I will gladly stay away from the evolution topic
    if you can get the atheist to take it to the science forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree