Metaphysics of Color

Metaphysics of Color

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

Originally posted by Taoman
I find your and tw's posts apropos to the nature of reality, mind, and mental perceptions, which are discussions that arise from the nature of color perception in the article I posted. Your remarks are interesting and connected.

The really interesting thing to me is these "imaginary" colors that can't be produced, yet are needed for a full spectrum. Those ...[text shortened]... it.

"Imaginary" things that are real and needed, "real" things that are imaginary.
I intend to present ideas on Mind,Brain,Perception as gathered from various sources including Hindu spiritual and philosophical books. Firstly my definitions will be given,so that there is less misunderstanding. But please give me some time to organize the write-up. Thanks Taoman.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

So here goes: Mind or Antakkaran,as per Hindu philosophy is an organ which comprises of 4 faculties. Manas or Man,which is the analytical faculty. Buddhi which is the decision making faculty. Ahamkara, the ego. Chitta, the storehouse of past impressions and the reflective faculty.

rc

Moves
01 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
It goes with your character.

P.S. Just joking. Ha! Ha!
interesting, Yellow i think is an extrovert colour, it cries out its warmth and happiness to
all around, it cannot be subdued. I dont know why you Americans gave it such a bad
rap! what's your favourite colour RJH?

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

Ahamkara or ' I 'ness or ego occupies all 5 sense-organs i.e.eyes,nose,ears,skin,tongue. The sense organs pick up the external sensations and offer them to Antakkaran.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

The movements/disturbances of the Chitta are called Vrittis.We become bound up with the Vrittis. We need to free ourselves from these disturbances,whether pleasant or unpleasant. This is the aim of Yoga. By controlling Chitta, we obtain true piece of mind.

d

Moves
01 Sep 11

I am very into colours, I find them incredibly interesting. My favorite colour is purple and I often wonder why. Purple is also the colour of magic, go figure. out of seven+ colours roughly one quater to one third of people have a favorite colour of blue (http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/statistics/s93/favcolor.html).

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

The external sensations travel first to Chitta part of the Antakkaran,possibly for initial registration. Since Chitta is also concerned with search of happiness/fulfillment,the sensations are organised/compared here. Then they travel to Manas and then to Buddhi,where the idea takes final shape. The Ahamkara or the' I 'ness or ego is associated with both Manas and Buddhi in these stages.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
The movements/disturbances of the Chitta are called Vrittis.We become bound up with the Vrittis. We need to free ourselves from these disturbances,whether pleasant or unpleasant. This is the aim of Yoga. By controlling Chitta, we obtain true piece of mind.
Do not confuse giving definitions with preaching a religion, it makes it much harder to discuss concepts and to know where we agree or disagree.

T

Moves
01 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
That is a good idea. I will gladly stay away from the evolution topic
if you can get the atheist to take it to the science forum.
Yes there were two participating, but at your first poke. More like its suitable for the debating forum. You are both old sparring partners,but I would like to see what both your thoughts are about how our mental perceptions (created, evolved, or createdly evolved 🙂 ) contribute to the reality we experience, and whether you think it all comes from our brain and the way it constructs what we experience. I don't think so, not all anyway, as there is a leaf form of some sort even if the color of that leaf is something our brain constructs from frequency waves of light and color absorption patterns .

Does a falling tree make any sound if there is no ear to hear it? No it doesn't. Sound is something also that is constructed by our eardrums and brain, responding to air vibrations.

Or all this may not be your interest.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do not confuse giving definitions with preaching a religion, it makes it much harder to discuss concepts and to know where we agree or disagree.
I am not preaching a religion here. I am interested in describing the way the subject of Perception was handled by Hindu philosophers in the past. Use of Sanskrit terms and explaining their meaning is unavoidable, I am not selling anything here. People genuinely interested will read and offer comments. Others need not read.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Sep 11

Originally posted by Taoman
Does a falling tree make any sound if there is no ear to hear it? No it doesn't. Sound is something also that is constructed by our eardrums and brain, responding to air vibrations.
That depends entirely on what definition you are using for the word 'sound' - which is why that question never fails to elicit contradictory answers.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Sep 11

I am not preaching a religion here. I am interested in describing the way the subject of Perception was handled by Hindu philosophers in the past. Use of Sanskrit terms and explaining their meaning is unavoidable, I am not selling anything here. People genuinely interested will read and offer comments. Others need not read.
When you say:
We need to free ourselves from these disturbances,whether pleasant or unpleasant. This is the aim of Yoga. By controlling Chitta, we obtain true piece of mind.

Then you are preaching your views, you are not defining, or describing.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11

When you say:
We need to free ourselves from these disturbances,whether pleasant or unpleasant. This is the aim of Yoga. By controlling Chitta, we obtain true piece of mind.

Then you are preaching your views, you are not defining, or describing.
This information was a part of the properties of Chitta so that interested people will link up Yoga/Meditation practices with Chitta. Definition of Yoga is given by Patanjali as control of Vrittis arising from Chitta,enabling one to enjoy true peace of mind. This is purely information and is of interest to black bettle and Taoman,possibly many others.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Sep 11

This information was a part of the properties of Chitta so that interested people will link up Yoga/Meditation practices with Chitta. Definition of Yoga is given by Patanjali as control of Vrittis arising from Chitta,enabling one to enjoy true peace of mind. This is purely information and is of interest to black bettle and Taoman,possibly many others.
When you say 'we need to', you are expressing an opinion based on your religion. If you had said 'followers of X religion believe we need to' or even 'I believe we need to' then it would be descriptive. If you just say 'we need to' then you are asserting something that is debatable is true. It is better, for the sake of discussion to separate things that are debatable, from definitions and descriptions which are not. It just makes it a whole lot easier to discuss.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
01 Sep 11
1 edit

When you say 'we need to', you are expressing an opinion based on your religion. If you had said 'followers of X religion believe we need to' or even 'I believe we need to' then it would be descriptive. If you just say 'we need to' then you are asserting something that is debatable is true. It is better, for the sake of discussion to separate things that ...[text shortened]... initions and descriptions which are not. It just makes it a whole lot easier to discuss.
OK,then the word'we' in the sentence quoted by you which is creating a problem,may be deemed to be replaced by the words'I believe we'.