1. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 15:04
    so who here is a ( evangelical and or united ) methodist and why so ?
  2. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 15:31
    Going to a Methodist church is like eating a sandwich made of white Wonder Bread with a dry piece of American chesse. Nothing could be more drab.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 15:50
    so the church experience needs an entertainment value ( a bona fide question and not a smirky remark ) ?
  4. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 00:58
    Originally posted by buckky
    Going to a Methodist church is like eating a sandwich made of white Wonder Bread with a dry piece of American chesse. Nothing could be more drab.
    We have been attending a Methodist church for quite some time now, but are actually Baptists. They are a bit drab, but sometimes the Baptists can get a bit too lively! Not like the Pentecostals, but one thing for sure....they can really sing! They tend to have too many squabbles and church splits. The Methodists are pretty inclusive. If someone in the neighborhood dies but has no church affiliation and the family wants a church funeral, it is only the Methodist church that will do it.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 01:06
    I'm gonna bring some much needed spirituality to this forum tomorrow with my sermon. I hope all will be comforted, confronted as need be, and be filled with the joy that I bring. I even give all my blessing to just stay home tomorrow and read my sermon here. I can promise you it will make more sense than most anything you will here in church and certainly more sense than anything on your TV, but that goes without saying.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 01:08
    Originally posted by buckky
    In light of what you posted, I can assure you that my sermon will have special relevance to you.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 01:49
    so you are not on tv ?...so we don't need to buy any holy jerusalem oil or special blessing hankies from you after the posted sermon ?
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 18:02
    I grew up a United Methodist and, tho a member of a Lutheran church now, still believe the Methodist doctrine when it disagrees with the Lutheran (over baptism, salvation requirements, office of the keys, etc.) But I gotta admit: we are drab. A preacher was teaching a class on Methodism once and asked the class "What is it that Methodists believe that sets them apart from other denominations?". The answer was "Nothing." Methodists have NO unique doctrines--they are as middle-of-the-road as can be. And I love 'em for it 😀
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 01:14
    abstinence from alcohol is an official position of the united methodists.
    in the communion service only unfermented grape juice is allowed. methodists who drink are drinking outside the grace of the church.
    this is one major difference with the other seven sisters of the north american mainline protestant denominations.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 20:27
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    abstinence from alcohol is an official position of the united methodists.
    in the communion service only unfermented grape juice is allowed. methodists who drink are drinking outside the grace of the church.
    this is one major difference with the other seven sisters of the north american mainline protestant denominations.
    Negative at the UMC I attended. We used grape juice for the service, but there are far too many passages in the Bible where wine was quite acceptable. Our preachers taught that Timothy was told to take wine for his ailing stomach. And that it can make a merry heart. I read the by-laws and there is NO condemnation for drinking alcohol.
    Drinking in excess is another matter.
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 21:13
    Originally posted by reinfeld
    so who here is a ( evangelical and or united ) methodist and why so ?
    Maybe there is a "method" to there madness! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree