1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 22:06
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No, you are the one who gets 'spoon fed' [wrong] 'answers' so you can go around
    thinking you know stuff, instead of actually getting down to checking things and
    finding stuff out yourself.

The question before you is how to prove that the bible was written [inspired by] by
    god?

To do this requires both that you prove a gods existence, and that ...[text shortened]... ve it's true FIRST.

And any claim that the bible 'proves' itself true is a logical fallacy.
    Like the OP reveals the issue is not proof the issue is your sin. 😏
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 22:28
    THIS POST IS TRUE and THERE IS NO GOD
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 22:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Like the OP reveals the issue is not proof the issue is your sin. 😏
    No.
    Sin is the repugnant and idiotic idea that morality comes from god and that
    disobeying gods rules/laws/commands is bad and will be punished by god.

If there is no god, then the whole concept is meaningless.

As we don't believe in gods, the whole concept is meaningless.

You must prove your god exists before sin becomes any kind of a relevant
    concept.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 22:30
    The Holy Bible proves itself. But you wouldn't know that because you do not study it.
    I previously was very sceptical about the existence of god but
    now thanks to the proof in the previous post I know he does not exist.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 22:36
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    "Worship" is the wrong word to use when asking this question, because you should always remember who your audience is.

Satan knows what actually happened, and he knows who God is, so from this example alone it seems evident that knowing is not the same as worshiping. Most atheists can understand this distinction, but at the same ti ...[text shortened]... o matter how careful you are, they [b]will
    manage to find something wrong with what you say.[/b]
    ... many of them will now think I'm comparing them to Satan ...

No, that's actually an argument we use against many Christians belief that we can't know
    god exists because that would violate our free will.

And yet here we have satan knowing god exists absolutely and still not worshipping god.

It's a perfectly reasonable point you're making there.

... they will manage to find something wrong with what you say. ...

Only if you actually say something wrong...

You know if you had just stopped with your point, and not gone on about how we would
    miss-understand it you would have been sorted.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 00:33
    No.
    Sin is the repugnant and idiotic idea that morality comes from god and that
    disobeying gods rules/laws/commands is bad and will be punished by god.

If there is no god, then the whole concept is meaningless.

As we don't believe in gods, the whole concept is meaningless.

You must prove your god exists before sin becomes any kind of a relevant
    concept.
    But if the God of the Holy Bible and the Son of God exists then you are very likely to be eventually thrown into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone where you will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 00:481 edit
    But if the God of the Holy Bible and the Son of God exists then you are very likely to be eventually thrown into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone where you will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
    Sure. But if it's not the god of the bible that exists and it's in fact the god of the Koran, or the Torah
    then you are equally screwed.

If there is a god who only spares those who use their 'god given' minds to determine that there is no
    good reason to believe in a god and thus don't. In which case I'm fine, but you are toast.

You are making a very bad attempt at pascals wager... "What if you're wrong?"
    Which is just about the worst and stupidest argument for believing in god/s that has been devised.
    I have written numerous posts utterly trashing it, it's truly terrible.
    And a testament to the power of faith to destroy peoples ability to function properly in that faith
    took one of the greatest mathematical minds, who previously had been making great strides
    in mathematical reasoning and creating valuable tools for modern science and turned him into
    an intellectual minnow who published nothing more of value, and produced what is perhaps the
    worst argument for belief of all time.

You really need to stop making these threats [as does every other theist] because they make you
    look and sound epically stupid.

So you know how stupid the threat you just made sounds to us/me...

Watch this: "God is an Idiot: God's "Perfect" Plan" - JT Eberhard - Skepticon 7

YouTube

EDIT: Also for any atheists who have ~30 mins to spare, it's well worth watching.
    It's the closing talk of the conference and is rather funny, as well as right on point.

We have no reason at all to suppose that your religion or god is true and every reason not to.

Your religion is laughably stupid and would be funny if it didn't do so much harm.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 04:12
    Sure. But if it's not the god of the bible that exists and it's in fact the god of the Koran, or the Torah
    then you are equally screwed.

If there is a god who only spares those who use their 'god given' minds to determine that there is no
    good reason to believe in a god and thus don't. In which case I'm fine, but you are toast.

You are making a ...[text shortened]... on not to.

Your religion is laughably stupid and would be funny if it didn't do so much harm.
    I am not making any threat against you for I have no power to carry them out. I was just passing on a warning from the Holy Bible for all unbelievers and workers of iniquity. 😏
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 06:26
    Yes you are right. There is probably no perfect word for that audience. Would saying they are influence by Satan be better?
    You're pulling my leg, right? All of us are influenced by Satan. Some of us are better at resisting that influence than others, but in one way or another we've all succumbed to it. The "mystery of iniquity" is still a mystery to me, I still don't fully understand it.
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 06:483 edits
    There is no god. There is no satan either. They're both inventions of ignorant minds in the long ago past. Now we have the capacity to think for ourselves. Some may cling to the stories they were told as children, others think and reason as adults. And of course they look closely at any new idea, not just accepting anything "because XX says so".

Australian aborigines have a fascinating set of creation stories. Today's people accept them as just that, stories. They pay them the proper respect as part of their ancestors' culture, but they certainly don't live their lives by them.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 07:492 edits
    You're pulling my leg, right? All of us are influenced by Satan. Some of us are better at resisting that influence than others, but in one way or another we've all succumbed to it. The "mystery of iniquity" is still a mystery to me, I still don't fully understand it.
    There may have been times in the past that I was influenced by Satan and there may still be times in the future that that could be the case, but I do not believe at the present that to be true. In the future I hope to be able to resist Satan's influence.
    Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

(James 4:7 NASB)
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 08:04
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    There is no god. There is no satan either. They're both inventions of ignorant minds in the long ago past. Now we have the capacity to think for ourselves. Some may cling to the stories they were told as children, others think and reason as adults. And of course they look closely at any new idea, not just accepting anything "because XX says so".

Austr ...[text shortened]... respect as part of their ancestors' culture, but they certainly don't live their lives by them.
    I have heard of the Australian aborigines, but I am not aware of their culture or legends. However, from what you have said they apparently know that this world was created and did not happen by chance. I would bet that all the creation stories are a distortion of the one in the Holy Bible.

I am certainly a redneck, but that does not me I have an ignorant mind and lack intelligence.
    The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."

(Psalm 14:1 NASB)
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 08:111 edit
    There may have been times in the past that I was influenced by Satan and there may still be times in the future that that could be the case, but I do not believe at the present that to be true. In the future I hope to be able to resist Satan's influence.
    Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

(James 4:7 NASB)
    Look at the post right about your last one. This is why it makes no sense to tell them they're being influenced by Satan. Did Jesus say, go and find people who will trample all over your message? No. Does it say anything like that in Proverbs? No.

Persuasion works best if it's not over done, otherwise it can have the opposite effect.

Edit: I meant look at Kewpies post... but you've already seen it. Sigh... well, so much for my no so lightening fast reflexes. I'll have to be content with slogging along in permanent slow-mo mode.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 08:35
    Look at the post right about your last one. This is why it makes no sense to tell them they're being influenced by Satan. Did Jesus say, go and find people who will trample all over your message? No. Does it say anything like that in Proverbs? No.

Persuasion works best if it's not over done, otherwise it can have the opposite effect.

Edit: I meant l ...[text shortened]... lightening fast reflexes. I'll have to be content with slogging along in permanent slow-mo mode.
    Are you saying you are not happy with my redneck methods? Suzianne has told me as much, but I guess once a redneck, always a redneck.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Feb '15 13:54
    Are you saying you are not happy with my redneck methods? Suzianne has told me as much, but I guess once a redneck, always a redneck.
    If you go to a family wedding looking for a wife, you MIGHT be a redneck.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree