Mind over Matter

Mind over Matter

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
13 Sep 09

Thought I'd change things up a bit.

This thread is not designed for debate, but rather as a discussion about what "mind over matter" means, what it is, and whether or not there is such a thing.

Feel free to express your belief or opinion without fear of insult, derision, or ridicule.

This is what I think "mind over matter" is not. It is not bending spoons, seeing through walls, reading minds, having premonitions, or anything else involving the literal control of matter with the mind.
I'm open to the idea, but I'd like to see the discussion revolve around this idea:

I believe "mind over matter" is about self control, as in control over physical impulses that can lead to abasement and abuse, either of ones' self or others.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
13 Sep 09

Originally posted by josephw

This thread is not designed for debate, but rather as a discussion about what "mind over matter" means, what it is, and whether or not there is such a thing.

Feel free to express your belief or opinion without fear of insult, derision, or ridicule.

This is what I think "mind over matter" is not. It is not bending ...[text shortened]... ment and abuse, either of ones' self or others.

This is mind over matter.

&feature=related

Shaolin monks.

F

Moves
13 Sep 09

Mind over Matter
It doesn't matter, if you don't mind.

Moves
13 Sep 09

This is what I think "mind over matter" is not. It is not bending ...[text shortened]... ment and abuse, either of ones' self or others.

The popular concept of "mind over matter" is in fact the likes of spoon bending and levitation. You are confusing this with self disipline.

T

Moves
13 Sep 09

Neither of those are the meaning I've most commonly heard associated with that expression, rather as explained at UsingEnglish.com:

"This idiom is used when someone uses their willpower to rise above adversity."

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
13 Sep 09

Well, that didn't go so well. Maybe it will go better in the other thread I started.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
13 Sep 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
This is mind over matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHL2PSpecI&feature=related

Shaolin monks.
No sir.

It's about training.

CS

Moves
13 Sep 09

I believe mind over matter is self control and will power, stuff like that.

It's just an expression right?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
13 Sep 09

JW, for once I sort of agree with you. Although your notion of mind over matter seems like it might lead to sort of self flagellating, 'I am not worthy' stuff that many Christians seem to love.
I think of the notion as encapsulating the view that our minds are capable of problem solving and abstract thought and all of the other useful things that lead to our ability to control the material world in many ways.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
13 Sep 09

Originally posted by amannion
JW, for once I sort of agree with you. Although your notion of mind over matter seems like it might lead to sort of self flagellating, 'I am not worthy' stuff that many Christians seem to love.
I think of the notion as encapsulating the view that our minds are capable of problem solving and abstract thought and all of the other useful things that lead to our ability to control the material world in many ways.
I think we are closer in our perspectives about practical matters than we know.

The 'I am not worthy' really doesn't have anything to do with 'self worth' as much as it has to do with our worth in comparison to God.
That's a poor reason to flagellate oneself. It's simply the reason why we worship God and not man or anything made by man.

In my view God created us with mental abilities far beyond what we employ today.

This is a touchy point. You see amannion, I know and understand your position on this, but, imagine if you will the mind in concert with its' creator. I don't say this to be mean, but just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean there isn't one. Perhaps the concept of a God who indwells the believer, making the believers spirit alive and in union with his creator, is delusional to your way of thinking, but imagine it were true. Think of the possibilities for thought!

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
14 Sep 09

I think we are closer in our perspectives about practical matters than we know.

The 'I am not worthy' really doesn't have anything to do with 'self worth' as much as it has to do with our worth in comparison to God.
That's a poor reason to flagellate oneself. It's simply the reason why we worship God and not man or anything made by man.

In my view God ...[text shortened]... r way of thinking, but imagine it were true. Think of the possibilities for thought!
Indwells the believer ...
Spirit alive and in union with ...
In concert with ...

This is really just a lot of mumbo jumbo - sounds good in a 'touchy feely', new age kind of way, but doesn't actually mean anything.
I think we do pretty well at thought without the need for fairies and gods and ghosts and unicorns.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Sep 09

Originally posted by amannion
Indwells the believer ...
Spirit alive and in union with ...
In concert with ...

This is really just a lot of mumbo jumbo - sounds good in a 'touchy feely', new age kind of way, but doesn't actually mean anything.
I think we do pretty well at thought without the need for fairies and gods and ghosts and unicorns.
Why do you always have to be like that? 😉

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
15 Sep 09

'Mind' and 'Matter'-two very broad and changing terms.
It fits in with my kind of thinking though-'Mind' being the nature of our true realites and 'matter' being the root of all that his base and 'this-worldly'.
'Mind over matter' is a term that could be employed in a lot of different ways...

s

Lowlands paradise

Moves
15 Sep 09

Like 'roof over foundation'?
Depending on the way we look at it there are several answers possible.
Matter was first, Mind evolved from it: so Matter is more important than Mind. Without Matter no Mind.
Mind is a subtle development of Matter: so Mind is more important and higher in rank than matter.
Matter (body) collapses sooner or later; Mind has to follow. So Matter prevails.
Mind can control to a certain extent the demolition of our Matter. Mind control of Matter
Mind can love without gain; Matter needs feeding.
I would say they are equally important in their own way.

d

Moves
16 Sep 09

Matter was first, Mind evolved from it
Our minds were made by God's Mind.