1. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 12:37
    Could this be the beginning af a minority report type of society where everything from religious, political, etc. beliefs are scrutinized to no end for any reason?

http://www.zdnet.com/raytheon-riot-defense-spying-is-coming-to-social-networks-7000011191/
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 13:04
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    Could this be the beginning af a minority report type of society where everything from religious, political, etc. beliefs are scrutinized to no end for any reason?

http://www.zdnet.com/raytheon-riot-defense-spying-is-coming-to-social-networks-7000011191/
    the tech isnt new. there have been several apps released to the public that have been labeled 'stalker apps' as they use location based software and face recognition to scan social networking and photo sharing platforms. one infamous app aloud you to take a photo with your phone of a person, it would then find out every bit of information online it could to form a guide, it would then alert you every time that persons location was was known and where they were. the sensible thing to do is not use crappy social networking sites that legally own your information and utilize location based software.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 13:05

In terms of similarity to fictional dystopia's I would say this is much more akin to a George Orwell
    Big Brother society than Minority Report.

The big thing in the Minority Report was special psychics who could see the future (or something)
    and could foresee murders and thus prevent them.

The "Big Brother is watching you" idea from "1984" is more apt.

However I wouldn't say this was "the beginning" of such a society... We have been going down this
    road for quite some time now.

We should stop and head back.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 13:08
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    the tech isnt new. there have been several apps released to the public that have been labeled 'stalker apps' as they use location based software and face recognition to scan social networking and photo sharing platforms. one infamous app aloud you to take a photo with your phone of a person, it would then find out every bit of information online it coul ...[text shortened]... social networking sites that legally own your information and utilize location based software.
    Are there any social networking sites that don't have that sort of thing going on?

And more to the point, any that a third party can't data mine regardless of the TOS?

I think the sentence should just read "... don't use social networking sites."

However there should be more hue and outcry about the continued invasion of privacy
    by both government and business.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 14:10
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    In terms of similarity to fictional ...[text shortened]...me time now.

We should stop and head back.
    Agreed!
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 14:15
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Are there any social networking sites that don't have that sort of thing going on?

And more to the point, any that a third party can't data mine regardless of the TOS?

I think the sentence should just read "... don't use social networking sites."

However there should be more hue and outcry about the continued invasion of privacy
    by both government and business.
    im not sure if there are any 'safe' social networks, probably not since our data became such a valuable commodity.

all the ones im aware of can sell or give your data to a 3rd party. im not sure if they are able to give your location though without your permission. although depending on where your data is stored that can become irrelevant.

did you watch black mirror last night?
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 14:47
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    im not im not sure if they are able to give your location though without your permission. although depending on where your data is stored that can become irrelevant.
    I think it is probably safe to say that social networks have as a part of their privacy policy the ability to change it whenever they want and you would be bound lest you contest. But contesting would take something from the individual, and we all know we don't like to be bothered with those things once we are in.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '13 15:42
    I think it is probably safe to say that social networks have as a part of their privacy policy the ability to change it whenever they want and you would be bound lest you contest. But contesting would take something from the individual, and we all know we don't like to be bothered with those things once we are in.
    they normally make you 'click' on something to confirm you are aware of changes. they also probably rely on the fact people wont read the small print and even if they do they have become so reliant on the service that people will willingly give their data.

i remember reading an article that said if people were aware of the dollar value of our data we wouldnt give it up as freely as we do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree