1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 09:47
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7339508.stm

A window into the past, showing a snake with little hind legs, apparently...

Or it could be part of a fake?
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 10:03
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

Looks like God planted it to test our faith!
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 12:33
    Another nail in the coffin of Creationism.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 12:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 13:56

How can we know? It could easily be a fake. I can't help thinking that it all looks like straining at a gnat.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 16:02

Now here's where the Creationist position shows it's weakness. The standard comment is -

"Well what about the missing link between this legged snake and modern snakes? Between this legged snake and lizards?"

They never stop asking for MORE missing links. You find a thousand "missing links" and they demand two thousand.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 19:47
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    ghe ghe.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 02:06
    Originally posted by josephw
    How can we know? It could easily be a fake. I can't help thinking that it all looks like straining at a gnat.
    It could be, and I expect it to be subject to scientific scrutiny. And, if it is a fake, I expect it to
    be revealed as such. You see, when a scientist promotes bad claims, the scientific community
    analyzes its veracity, and if it is found to be suspect they report it.

Now, let's assume it's not a fake. What will this tell you about the theory of evolution?

Nemesio
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 21:19
    Originally posted by josephw
    It's just (assuming it's ok) a snake with legs. Thing is, we already have snakes with legs, well sort of. slow worms.

It's just that it doesn't look like we have had this sort of snake before...
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 21:281 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Another nail in the coffin of Creationism.
    You mean supposed little hind legs on the the rear of a snake proves that "In the beginning God [did NOT] create the heavens and the earth?"
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 03:18
    Originally posted by jaywill
    You mean supposed little hind legs on the the rear of a snake proves that [b]"In the beginning God [did NOT] create the heavens and the earth?" [/b]
    No, but it does suggest a common ancestor with whales, birds, etc, which does not seem compatible with Genesis 1:21.
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 03:25
    Originally posted by jaywill
    You mean supposed little hind legs on the the rear of a snake proves that [b]"In the beginning God [did NOT] create the heavens and the earth?" [/b]
    No, it provides another empirical datum contradicting a literal reading of the disparate Genesis
    myths.

Nemesio
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 05:33
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    It could be, and I expect it to be subject to scientific scrutiny. And, if it is a fake, I expect it to
    be revealed as such. You see, when a scientist promotes bad claims, the scientific community
    analyzes its veracity, and if it is found to be suspect they report it.

Now, let's assume it's not a fake. What will this tell you about the theory of evolution?

Nemesio
    What that would prove to creationists is there is a conspiracy against creationism.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 06:27

There are living examples of 'snakes' with legs. Lizards for example have all four. There are also lizards that move like snakes and lizards with very stunted legs. I believe pythons have little claws instead of hind legs.

Without independent study, one cant really rule that out. However, there really is no incentive to fake something like that. There is really no benefit to be gained by faking something like that and if the faker is discovered he will get discredited.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    01 May '08 02:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are living examples of 'snakes' with legs. Lizards for example have all four. There are also lizards that move like snakes and lizards with very stunted legs. I believe pythons have little claws instead of hind legs.

[b]Or it could be part of a fake?

Without independent study, one cant really rule that out. However, there really is no incent ...[text shortened]... gained by faking something like that and if the faker is discovered he will get discredited.[/b]
    I wonder how they decided it was a snake and not a lizard (i.e. suborder serpentes).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree