1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:15
    Originally posted by Jee
    Somebody who thinks in terms of logic only could never hear my point, because logic has nothing to do with truth.

I was talking about truth as well the other day with a mathematician - wrong move I know I know...

So he said that something is true unless proven untruth and gave as an example:

Original stament: "All crows are black"
    -> so if I ever find ...[text shortened]... matter how crazy they are. If I had been logic, I would have miss all the good fun in my life.
    According to your own reasoning, you are saying that I can say that what you are saying is not true for me but only true for you.

So why are you trying to persuade me that what you are saying is true if something else can be true for me?

I am sorry, but your whole position makes absolutely no sense.
  2. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:222 edits
    I am not trying to persuade you - like I care - I am just answering your question.

You asked "do you believe in an absolute truth" and I said yes and then just developed.

This is my opinion, and mine only and I couldnt care less if somebody else ever in all mankind will share it.

I perfectly accept that you have a different/opposite opinion and don't try to change it, and I really believe that you are sincere in your belief.

It's like saying:

YOU: what do you wanna drink?
    ME: a beer
    YOU: Ow ! so you wanna convince me to drink a beer too!

Again, its not because two persons have different opinions that one has to convince the other. Thats a waste of time. Live and let die. Just agree on disagreing
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:34
    Originally posted by Jee
    I am not trying to persuade you - like I care - I am just answering your question.

You asked "do you believe in an absolute truth" and I said yes and then just developed.

This is my opinion, and mine only and I couldnt care less if somebody else ever in all mankind will share it.

I perfectly accept that you have a different/opposite opinion and don't tr ...[text shortened]... has to convince the other. Thats a waste of time. Live and let die. Just agree on disagreing

Yeah, I guess I should have defined what "absolute truth" means. Because you said yes it exists and then argued that it doesn't exist.

I guess that started the confusion.

So maybe you should read up what absolute truth is, before you answer the question. 😉

here's some help for starters: http://www.absolutetruth.net/truth/
  4. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:37
    you should have asked "do you believe in my personal view of Absolue truth".

Well I dont believe in any of your own personal view on anything.

I only believe in mine but it keeps me entertained to discover other person's absolute truth (as define by me)
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:50
    Originally posted by Jee
    you should have asked "do you believe in my personal view of Absolue truth".

Well I dont believe in any of your own personal view on anything.

I only believe in mine but it keeps me entertained to discover other person's absolute truth (as define by me)
    How can you be absolutely sure that your personal view of 'absolute truth' is the correct one?
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:52
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    How can you be absolutely sure that your personal view of 'absolute truth' is the correct one?
    It's not the correct one, it's the correst one only for me.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:55
    Originally posted by Jee
    It's not the correct one, it's the correst one only for me.
    How then do you define 'truth'?
  8. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 19:58
    Originally posted by Jee
    So the only absolute truth is what everyone feels to be true in him/herself.

Which means that if you feels that there's only one god, this is your absolute truth.

The thing is that everyone has one truth, it's own and it never applies to anybody else on this earth.

So if I feel it's absolutely truth, then it is for me. And I won't try to convince anybod ...[text shortened]... ce you of another truth than the one lying within yourself, that's when the trouble starts.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 20:022 edits
    Originally posted by Jee
    O.K. So how do you differentiate between right and wrong? Do you decide for yourself what is right and wrong?

What do you use as a moral framework?
  10. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 11:23
    O.K. So how do you differentiate between right and wrong? Do you decide for yourself what is right and wrong?

What do you use as a moral framework?
    If I feel that it's right, then it's right for me.

What I think is impossible for you to integrate in your brain is that you can reach truth without thinking (using logic) but by feeling.

As long as you'll stay in your narrow mode of thinking, you wont even hear my words.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 11:28
    Originally posted by Jee

What I think is impossible for you to integrate in your brain is that you can reach truth without thinking (using logic) but by feeling.

As long as you'll stay in your narrow mode of thinking, you wont even hear my words.
    It's possible alright, but only by accident. So why bother?
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 11:301 edit
    Originally posted by Jee

I will speak to you in plain, simple English. And that brings us to tonight's word: 'truthiness.' Now I'm sure some of the 'word police,' the 'wordinistas' over at Webster's are gonna say, 'hey, that's not a word.' Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of dictionaries or reference books.

I don't trust books. They're all fact, no heart. And that's exactly what's pulling our country apart today. 'Cause face it, folks; we are a divided nation. Not between Democrats and Republicans, or conservatives and liberals, or tops and bottoms. No, we are divided between those who think with their head, and those who know with their heart.

Consider Harriet Miers. If you 'think' about Harriet Miers, of course her nomination's absurd. But the president didn't say he 'thought' about his selection. He said this:

(video clip of President Bush: ) 'I know her heart.'

Notice how he said nothing about her brain? He didn't have to. He 'feels' the truth about Harriet Miers.

And what about Iraq? If you 'think' about it, maybe there are a few missing pieces to the rationale for war. But doesn't taking Saddam out 'feel' like the right thing?

- Stephen Colbert
  13. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 11:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I will speak to you in plain, simple English. And that brings us to tonight's word: 'truthiness.' Now I'm sure some of the 'word police,' the 'wordinistas' over at Webster's are gonna say, 'hey, that's not a word.' Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of dictionaries or reference books.

I don't trust books. They're all fact, no heart. And that's ...[text shortened]... ddam out 'feel' like the right thing?

- Stephen Colbert
    Yep it is exactely what it is.

Thanks pal.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 12:322 edits
    Originally posted by Jee

Some cultures love their neighbours and other cultures eat their neighbours based purely on their feelings. What is your personal preference?

So if I feel like giving you a punch on the nose right now and I felt that was the right thing to do, would you have a problem with that?
    I would just be using my feelings to establish what was right for me. (Excuse this specific example, but I would just like to know how you feel about this issue) 😉
  15. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 12:39
    So if I felt like giving you a punch on the nose right now and I felt that was the right thing to do, would you have a problem with that?
    I would just be using my feelings to establish what was right for me. (Excuse this specific example, but I would just like to know how you feel about this issue) 😉
    I really won't have a problem with that.

Unless you aint honest with yourself.

You might want to kill me but still feel inside of you that it's not right to kill someone and walk away so.

One friend asked me once:

- what would you do if you happen to find yourself on the same path as a bear

my answer was:

1) I dunno how to fight a bear
    2) I don't want to fight a bear or to learn how to fight a bear

so, I'll just manage not to find myself in the same path as a bear.

And so I did.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree