1. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 16:16
    Dunno if there's already been a thread about it, but it just happened that the two last books I've read are talking (directly and indirectly) about having as faith all religions.

Which means that your religion will be something like Catholic-Muslim-Hindou.

Don't you think that at the end of the day that's what it will become, and that the "task" of the chief of those main religion should be to work in that direction ?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 16:52
    I think everyone should become secular humanists.
  3. Upstate NY
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 17:27
    Originally posted by Jee
    Dunno if there's already been a thread about it, but it just happened that the two last books I've read are talking (directly and indirectly) about having as faith all religions.

Don't you think that at the end of the day that's what it will become, and that the "task" of the chief of those main religion should be to work in that direction ?
    The only problem with such a practice in concept is that, in the end, the product would not be an amalgamation of all religions, but a new religion altogether, one that systematically did away with all things that one didn't like or accept.

There are some unqualified non-negotiables in every worldview. All major religions (even Bahaism) are exclusivistic. To reconcile contradicting philosophies is impossible as the law of non-contradiction will not allow it.

As the poet Steve Turner once wrote in his satiric poem "Creed," "We believe that all religions are the same (at the least the ones that we read were). They all believe in love and goodness; they only differ on matters of creation, sin, Heaven, Hell, God and salvation."

In the end, I would have to take the idea from Loyal D. Rue that a world religion would have to be a "noble lie."

Fond Regards,
    R
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 22:40
    Originally posted by Jee

I've just heard a little about the Baha'i faith which is something like what you're saying here.
    From what I can gather, the baha'i believe that the world's main religions - Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, and so on - are all aspects of one overarching religion.
    In particular, the prophets of these religions Muhammed, Jesus, Buddha and so on, all speak truths that can be reconciled as interpretations of one God.
    Now there are some problems with this of course, but it's an interesting take on reconciling religious differences.

It started in Iran (then Persia) in the mid 1800s and has grown dramatically since.
    But I don't know much else ...
  5. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    13 Sep '06 22:55
    Originally posted by Jee

Are you taking the piss, or just a bit of a pranny?
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 10:58
    Originally posted by sjeg
    Are you taking the piss, or just a bit of a pranny?
    Can you develop this a lil bit?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 11:481 edit
    Originally posted by Jee

I don't think it would be helpful if you mix the truth with untruths.
  8. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 12:221 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I don't think it would be helpful if you mix the truth with untruths.
    ok.

And which one are the truths and which one are the untruths?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 12:55
    Originally posted by Jee
    ok.

And which one are the truths and which one are the untruths?
    Firstly I need to know if you believe that absolute truth exists.
  10. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 15:19
    I do your honour!
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 16:23
    Originally posted by Jee
    I do your honour!
    Good. So do you know how to test whether something contains absolute truth?
  12. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 17:06
    I aint sure I understand what you mean by "test", but go on.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Sep '06 18:28
    Originally posted by Jee
    I aint sure I understand what you mean by "test", but go on.
    I guess I mean a way of evaluating whether what you believe is indeed true or not.

For example, take the statement, "There is only one true God."

Do you think that this statement contains absolute truth? If so, how would go about testing, whether or not the statment is true?
  14. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 05:52
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I guess I mean a way of evaluating whether what you believe is indeed true or not.

For example, take the statement, "There is only one true God."

Do you think that this statement contains absolute truth? If so, how would go about testing, whether or not the statment is true?
    "There is only one true God."

Subjective.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '06 06:40
    Originally posted by nook7
    "There is only one true God."

Subjective.
    So a statement is false if it is subjective?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree