1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 16:501 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    The Judeo-Christian beliefs are hardly the only source of so-called morality. Moreover, the Christian churches have been fully on both sides of the morality fence; being progressive on the one hand, and obstructionist on the other. Both sides can cite numerous examples. So what?
    so what? Jo jo has stated that Christianity and its adherents have opposed moral progress, here are a series of examples which demonstrate that many were incited to moral progress because of their Christianity. No one has stated that it is exclusively the only source of morality.
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 17:01
    The Catholic church is against gay rights, birth control and stem cell research. It was also against lightning rods, small pox vaccine, and dissection of cadavers for medical education and the advancement of medicine. It was also against Galileo. The church's position is not mitigated by the fact that Galileo was a Cahtolic.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 17:11
    Originally posted by 667joe
    For example, right now, the Christians are doing everything they can to block gays from fully enjoying the civil right of marriage.
    The gay marriage issue is completely irrelevant with respect to moral progress.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 17:12
    The Catholic church is against gay rights, birth control and stem cell research. It was also against lightning rods, small pox vaccine, and dissection of cadavers for medical education and the advancement of medicine. It was also against Galileo. The church's position is not mitigated by the fact that Galileo was a Cahtolic.
    It was also against lightning rods, small pox vaccine, and dissection of cadavers for medical education and the advancement of medicine.

The Catholic Church has never opposed any of these things.

It was also against Galileo.

No; it was against the idea that the Scripture was not inerrant. The Catholic Church had already allowed Galileo to publish his ideas as speculation; they had also allowed similar publications before hand. The supposed conflict with science is greatly exaggerated.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 17:193 edits
    For example, right now, the Christians are doing everything they can to block gays from fully enjoying the civil right of marriage.
    Joe, that does not support your premise that moral progress in society has always been blocked by Christians.

At most you can sound off that you consider some Christians wrong on this issue or on that issue.

Your example does not substantiate your broad brushed generalization.

A generation like you is rising up now. "To have faith in God is not rational" "To be a Christian is to block moral progress."

You are paving the way for the coming Antichrist. Of that I have no doubt.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 22:15
    I am rational. You are irrational. There is good and evil but there is no Christ or anti Christ.
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 22:18
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]It was also against lightning rods, small pox vaccine, and dissection of cadavers for medical education and the advancement of medicine.

The Catholic Church has never opposed any of these things.

It was also against Galileo.

No; it was against the idea that the Scripture was not inerrant. The Catholic Church had already allowed Gali ...[text shortened]... wed similar publications before hand. The supposed conflict with science is greatly exaggerated.[/b]
    Next you will deny that the Church burned witches, and I am quite sure that had you been alive at the time, you would have been in favor of it ( unless of course, you were found to be a witch!)
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Mar '10 22:401 edit
    Next you will deny that the Church burned witches, and I am quite sure that had you been alive at the time, you would have been in favor of it ( unless of course, you were found to be a witch!)
    Actually, the Catholic Church did not burn witches. This bizarre phenomena of witch-hunts was largely a Protestant event confined to Germany, Europe and later America in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. You will find that the Catholic Church was skeptical of claims to witchery, condemning works like Malleus Maleficarum' (concerning the existence of witches) in 1486.

Do you have any evidence for the claims you make? You assert that the Catholic Church burns witches, bans use of electricity rods and small pox vaccines. Where do you get this?
  9. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 00:06
    I predicted your answer. I suppose Catholic priests don't molest alter boys either.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 00:49
    I predicted your answer. I suppose Catholic priests don't molest alter boys either.
    i predict a riot! come on Jo Jo, turn up the tone, if you please.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 01:142 edits
    I do acknowledge that Catholic priests have molested altar boys. I do not deny the scandal of clerical sex abuse. I do not see how this bears on the current discussion, however. You have made several claims, that the Catholic Church opposed the dissection of cadavers, the use of vaccination and lightning rods and even engaged in witch-hunts. I do not deny that Catholics have sinned terribly; I just ask that you give evidence of these specific claims.

I think there is a basic hypocrisy in your behaviour. You frequently insist on the need for probative evidence to support any positive assertions -- that is, for example, theists have the burden of proof to show that God exists, that certain historical claims are factual and so on. Yet, when you make historical claims, you completely discard those evidential standards. All I am asking is that you cite some authorities to give credence to your claims. Why is that so hard?

The fact is that even the atheists on this site are not sympathetic to your inanities. You act as if the ambassador of reason and science but all you do is make wild, hysterical allegations against religions without any facts, any use of evidence, or anything that could be called scientific.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 01:27
    Actually, the Catholic Church did not burn witches. This bizarre phenomena of witch-hunts was largely a Protestant event confined to Germany, Europe and later America in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. You will find that the Catholic Church was skeptical of claims to witchery, condemning works like Malleus Maleficarum' (concerning the ...[text shortened]... urch burns witches, bans use of electricity rods and small pox vaccines. Where do you get this?
    By Europe, I had meant to write England by the way. My latent Anglophilia is slowly surfacing.
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 01:48
    By Europe, I had meant to write England by the way. My latent Anglophilia is slowly surfacing.
    If you google catholic church witch burning, you will find that at a minimum, the inquisition had caused the burning of at least several thousand witches and possibly several hundred thousand. Protestant witch burnings were very rare. They preferred hanging or drowning. This facts are better documented than the existence of the god in whose name these crimes were performed with the participation of the nimrods of the day. The facts, I am sorry to say, are not very polite.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 01:561 edit
    If you google catholic church witch burning, you will find that at a minimum, the inquisition had caused the burning of at least several thousand witches and possibly several hundred thousand. Protestant witch burnings were very rare. They preferred hanging or drowning. This facts are better documented than the existence of the god in whose name these c ...[text shortened]... the participation of the nimrods of the day. The facts, I am sorry to say, are not very polite.
    Google does not constitute a very high standard of evidence. It only links to sites which match the search query; it makes no assessment of the authority of these sites.

By the way, you also claimed that the Catholic Church opposed vaccination, lightning rods and the dissection of cadavers. No evidence for these claims has been forthcoming yet.
  15. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 02:03
    Google does not constitute a very high standard of evidence. It only links to sites which match the search query; it makes no assessment of the authority of these sites.

By the way, you also claimed that the Catholic Church opposed vaccination, lightning rods and the dissection of cadavers. No evidence for these claims has been forthcoming yet.
    Give me a break. I trust google in this matter more than I trust a person who believes he has a supernatural friend looking out for him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree