Moral Progress

Moral Progress

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Mar 10

Originally posted by 667joe
Give me a break. I trust google in this matter more than I trust a person who believes he has a supernatural friend looking out for him.
Well, many of the sites google listed indicated that the Catholic Church had little role in the witch burning. For example,

http://www.gendercide.org/case_witchhunts.html

But again, I see little purpose in comparing the many articles which google provides, unless there is a critical evaluation of the credibility of these sites. Google does not do that.

I think your mind is curious. Why is it so difficult to give sources to any of the claims you have made? Where is the evidence that the Church opposed dissection of cadavers, vaccination and lightning rods? Is it that you are incapable of processing two thoughts simultaneously and therefore have expended all your cognitive powers on the subject of witch-hunts, or is it that you are incapable of admitting error?

Maryland

Moves
07 Mar 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
Well, many of the sites google listed indicated that the Catholic Church had little role in the witch burning. For example,

But again, I see little purpose in comparing the many articles which google provides, unless there is a critical evaluation of the credibility of these sites. Google does not do tha ...[text shortened]... nitive powers on the subject of witch-hunts, or is it that you are incapable of admitting error?
You remind me of Holocaust deniers. I will not waste my time giving you evidence because you will deny it. Again there are hundreds of articles in google which I admit is not infallible, but I trust google a lot more than you. You are clearly a church apologist.

Maryland

Moves
07 Mar 10

But again, I see little purpose in comparing the many articles which google provides, unless there is a critical evaluation of the credibility of these sites. Google does not do that.
You are skeptical of google, but accept the bible hook line and sinker with no critical evaluation at all. You are amazing!!!!!!!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Mar 10

But again, I see little purpose in comparing the many articles which google provides, unless there is a critical evaluation of the credibility of these sites. Google does not do tha ...[text shortened]... nitive powers on the subject of witch-hunts, or is it that you are incapable of admitting error?
From your link:

The classic evocation of this deranged misogyny is the Malleus maleficarum (The Hammer of Witches), published by Catholic inquisition authorities in 1485-86.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Mar 10

Originally posted by 667joe
You are skeptical of google, but accept the bible hook line and sinker with no critical evaluation at all. You are amazing!!!!!!!
I am not skeptical of google. Google is an efficient data interrogator and very successfully finds relevant articles that match a data query. What it does not do is produce these sites or evaluate them. So simply saying 'I found it using Google' does not assure any credibility. This is very obvious since the second site that Google produced, when I searched for 'Catholic Church witch hunts, says this:

"Where the Catholic church was strong (Spain, Italy, Portugal) hardly any witch craze occurred ... the Reformation was definitely the first time that the church had to cope with a large-scale threat to its very existence and legitimacy."

Now if Google really was a source of historical truth, why would it list contradictory sites, one suggesting that the Catholic Church was responsible, the other indicating very little role?

Again, why are you unable to source your other claims that the Catholic Church opposed vaccination, lightning rods and dissection? This is getting ridiculous.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Mar 10
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
From your link:

The classic evocation of this deranged misogyny is the Malleus maleficarum (The Hammer of Witches), published by Catholic inquisition authorities in 1485-86.
The site is in error. Malleus Maleficarum was actually condemned by the inquisition three years later. It was published by an inquisitor but never had support from the Catholic Church. I pointed this out some time ago.

By the way, I am not actually putting forward any site as authoritative. I am just trying to show the ridiculousness of Joe's claim that Google is somehow a scholarly authority. Obviously the credibility of any site which Google lists must be tested. Saying 'Google lists it therefore I believe it' is the most idiotic argument ever to appear on this forum (and I really am not exaggerating here.)

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Mar 10

Google does not constitute a very high standard of evidence. It only links to sites which match the search query; it makes no assessment of the authority of these sites.

By the way, you also claimed that the Catholic Church opposed vaccination, lightning rods and the dissection of cadavers. No evidence for these claims has been forthcoming yet.
In the thirteenth century, Pope Boniface VIII (c1234-1303) issued a papal bull that decreed excommunication for anyone who dared to dissect a cadaver.

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/medicine.html

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Mar 10
1 edit

The site is in error. Malleus Maleficarum was actually condemned by the inquisition three years later. It was published by an inquisitor but never had support from the Catholic Church. I pointed this out some time ago.

By the way, I am not actually putting forward any site as authoritative. I am just trying to show the ridiculousness of Joe's claim that e most idiotic argument ever to appear on this forum (and I really am not exaggerating here.)
Why did you use a site that is in error to support your argument?

EDIT - Twice?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Mar 10

In the thirteenth century, Pope Boniface VIII (c1234-1303) issued a papal bull that decreed excommunication for anyone who dared to dissect a cadaver.

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/medicine.html
No; he did not. This myth has been discredited. The papal bull was called 'De Sepulturis' and it concerned burials, in which bodies were cut and boiled so that the bones could be transported for burial in another country. At least however you went to the effort to find some kind of evidence.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Mar 10
1 edit

Why did you use a site that is in error to support your argument?

EDIT - Twice?
I am kind of sick of having to explain myself several times over. Let me print it again:

By the way, I am not actually putting forward any site as authoritative. I am just trying to show the ridiculousness of Joe's claim that Google is somehow a scholarly authority. Obviously the credibility of any site which Google lists must be tested. Saying 'Google lists it therefore I believe it' is the most idiotic argument ever to appear on this forum (and I really am not exaggerating here.)

All I am showing is that Google is not in itself a scholarly source. It gives access to scholarly sites but it does not evaluate them. If you type in 'end of the world', it will take you to crazed doomsayers predicting millennial ends of the world. Should we give credence to that too. The fact is that it supports a lot of BS sites and we ought to be skeptical.

Do you need me to explain it again?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Mar 10

No; he did not. This myth has been discredited. The papal bull was called 'De Sepulturis' and it concerned burials, in which bodies were cut and boiled so that the bones could be transported for burial in another country. At least however you went to the effort to find some kind of evidence.
I cannot find any support for this assertion of mine, so I'll accept it's false info.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Mar 10
2 edits

By the way, I am not actually putting forward any site as authoritative. I am just trying to show the ridiculousness of Joe's claim that e most idiotic argument ever to appear on this forum (and I really am not exaggerating here.)
Wikipedia offers these details:

The Malleus Maleficarum[2] (Latin for "The Hammer of Witches", or "Der Hexenhammer" in German) is a famous treatise on witches, written in 1486 by Heinrich Kramer, an Inquisitor of the Catholic Church, and was first published in Germany in 1487.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum

Which of those details is not correct?

EDIT - I will point out Kramer was "denounced by the Inquisition in 1490".

EDIT2 -

Almost all of the Malleus was written by one man: Heinrich Kramer (aka Henry Institoris). A German inquisitor of the late 15th century, Kramer was not a well-respected man. His views on Witchcraft were considered weird and extreme by most of his fellow clergymen, who continually opposed and hindered his trials. For instance, Kramer ran a large trial in Innsbruck in 1485, where 57 people were investigated. Nobody was killed. The bishop of Innsbruck became so irritated with Kramer's fascination with the Witches' sexual behavior that he shut down the trials, claiming that the devil was in the inquisitor, not the Witches.

Kramer wrote the Malleus to win the cooperation of his peers. The book isn't -- as some assume -- a guide to what most 15th century Christians believed about Witches. It's a minority opinion, written to convince the populace at large of the dangers of Witchcraft

http://www.summerlands.com/crossroads/remembrance/_remembrance/malleus_maleficarum.htm

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
07 Mar 10

It's looking like Conrau's right.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Mar 10

I cannot find any support for this assertion of mine, so I'll accept it's false info.
There is a related entry on Wikipedia:

Mos Teutonicus is a practise that was used mainly during the Second Crusades and after. It is when a body is taken and boiled in vinegar or water until the flesh falls off from the bones. The words "Mos Teutonicus" come from the Latin words meaning "German custom".

During the Crusades it was difficult to transport the bodies of dead wealthy knights back to Europe for a proper burial. Therefore instead of taking the body with the flesh still attached, it was boiled off and the bones were taken back. Often the bones were regarded as relics.

Despite the almost macabre fashion of this practise, it was regarded highly amongst the Catholic Church, although there remains little documentation of it. In 1300, however, Pope Boniface VIII issued the bull De Sepulturis, which forbade the practice.

The concern is not particularly about dissection but about boiling bodies down and even then using them as relics. Mind you, this practice did continue. St Thomas of Aquinas' body was boiled in a vat because his body was too fat to be carried.

Maryland

Moves
07 Mar 10

Again, some posters are skeptical of my statements because I may have found them on google. Why are said posters not as skeptical of the bible which provides even less evidence than google but makes very preposterous claims such as virgin births and resurrection?