1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '12 23:54
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I'm sorry I just don't see it the way you do.
    What would it take to persuade you?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 00:18
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What would it take to persuade you?
    Seeing one kind of animal being born from a different kind of animal,
    like a bear being born from a lion, would convince me that evolution
    is possible and that the Holy Bible is in error on that subject.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 00:20
    actually, if that happened, it would disprove evolution and prove creation.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 00:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, did you read the Barton piece? Who does he say were the founding fathers discussing evolution?
    No, I did not read where he states the names of those founding fathers.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 00:50
    Sigh, but that is not what evolution says. As the other response says that would disprove evolution.

Evolution does not claim that any creature has ever given birth to another of a different species.
    In fact it says that such a thing is impossible.

If you were to take a picture of your mother, and place it on a shelf, and then behind it a picture of
    your maternal grandmother, and then your great grandmother, and so on and son on.
    about (I think) 186 million generations, then without at any point two adjacent pictures being from
    different species you would have a row of pictures that had you on one end and a fish at the other.

In the mean time it would have gone through various species of (now extinct) apes and monkeys,
    then going back to smaller more primitive mammals, including mouse or shrew like creatures... all the
    way back till the common ancestor of all vertebrates which was a kind of fish.

There is evidence in abundance for all of this, but you are going to have to read some books on evolution by
    evolutionary biologists to hear about it. The ones by people trying to discredit evolution for religious reasons
    are lying.

Speciation has actually been witnessed and documented numerous times so the fact that it can and does
    happen is a known fact. As are all the other precesses of evolution, facts all.

Evolutionary theory is just the over arching explanatory framework that ties all the observed facts and laws together.

Most Christians have no trouble with evolution because they recognise that genesis is not a literal account of creation.
    So accepting evolution as valid does not require giving up your faith in god, just your faith and belief in the literal
    truth of the bible.

I of course would be more than happy for you to stop believing in god, but I don't see that ever happening.
    But it's not true to say that you have to do that to accept evolution as being true, or that the world is 4.5 billion yrs old
    and not 6000. The vast majority of Christians accept evolution and science, and still believe in god.
    In fact the success of northern Europe and 'the west' is down largely to the northern protestant religions rejection of the
    pope and the embracing of science. Your country was founded by people who believed in science and its power.
    If they had been creationists who denied science and its methods the west would long ago have been defeated or overshadowed
    by someone who did value science.

To really and truly believe that requires the dismissal of the entirety of science and the scientific method of investigation.

Every civilisation throughout history who has ceased to expand their knowledge or apply scientific principles has fallen, usually
    to those that didn't abandon science, sometimes to the barbarian hoards they could no longer stave off.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 01:051 edit
    Sigh, but that is not what evolution says. As the other response says that would disprove evolution.

Evolution does not claim that any creature has ever given birth to another of a different species.

If you were to take a picture of your mother, and place it on a shelf, and then behind it a pictu t didn't abandon science, sometimes to the barbarian hoards they could no longer stave off.
    The books you are referring to have pictures and drawing and I like
    those kind of books. I guess I am still like a kid for I like more pictures
    and less words. But the problem is the same as other books of fiction.
    The pictures can be made to show anything. Most of the pictures are
    just drawings of make-believe animals to fill in spots to make it look as
    if it changed over time from the fish to the monkey and finally to you.
    I just don't believe such things.

P.S. Those so-call Christians you are talking about have blind faith in
    almost everything some authority figure tells them. Like those that
    believed in the teachings of Jim Jones. Sometimes, it is just a matter
    of who gets to them first with the simplest explanation.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 09:32
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Why do you come to the defence of violent groups of people?

In 1940 ..........should we have removed the SS Nazis from society?
    As has been pointed out already, show me where i've been defending violent groups of people?
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 09:35
    WTF?????

You clearly have absolutely no idea of how evolution works? A bear being born from a lion?! Good God man!!!

Go and read a science book Ron, i'd suggest starting with one on what evolution actually does.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    WTF?????

You clearly have absolutely no idea of how evolution works? A bear being born from a lion?! Good God man!!!

Go and read a science book Ron, i'd suggest starting with one on what evolution actually does.
    That was just an example you could provide me with another kind that
    brought forth a different kind. I am not restricting it to lions and bears.

P.S. A human baby being born from a gorilla would do.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 13:02

That's is not an example of how evolution works, evolution works by cumulative steps over large periods of time. I suggest you go and read some science books because you are absolutely clueless.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 13:08

because you evidently didn't read it the first time...

If you were to take a picture of your mother, and place it on a shelf, and then behind it a picture of
    your maternal grandmother, and then your great grandmother, and so on and so fourth for
    about (I think) 186 million generations, then without at any point two adjacent pictures being from
    different species you would have a row of pictures that had you on one end and a fish at the other.

In the mean time it would have gone through various species of (now extinct) apes and monkeys,
    then going back to smaller more primitive mammals, including mouse or shrew like creatures... all the
    way back till the common ancestor of all vertebrates which was a kind of fish.

There is evidence in abundance for all of this, but you are going to have to read some books on evolution by
    evolutionary biologists to hear about it. The ones by people trying to discredit evolution for religious reasons
    are lying.

Speciation has actually been witnessed and documented numerous times so the fact that it can and does
    happen is a known fact. As are all the other precesses of evolution, facts all.

Evolutionary theory is just the over arching explanatory framework that ties all the observed facts and laws together.

If you can't be bothered to read up on what evolution actually is from actual evolutionary biologists then you will
    just have to take our word that what the creationist books you have been reading say about evolution and the evidence
    for it are not just wrong, but intentionally so, making them lying and fraudulent. If you want to know what evolution is
    about, and you can't argue that you do know because you have made it abundantly clear that you don't with just this
    one post let alone all the others, then you are going to have to find out from evolutionary biologists and not creationists.
    It's in the creationists vested interests to lie about the truth, to distort and malign evolution and the people who research it.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 03:29
    because you evidently didn't read it the first time...

Evolution does not claim that [b]any
    creature has ever given birth to another of a different species.

If you were to take a pict ...[text shortened]... sts to lie about the truth, to distort and malign evolution and the people who research it.[/b]
    No, I am not just going to have to take your word that it's in the
    creationists vested interests to lie about the truth, to distort and
    malign evolution and the people who research it.

Maybe, you should just take my word that it's in the evolutionists
    vested interests to lie about the the truth of creation, to distort
    and maligh creation and the people who research and believe in it.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 03:34

because some of us have read both sides of the argument and found that the creationists consistently quotemine, distort the truth and misrepresent evolution theory by creating strawmen arguments and outright lies to mislead their ignorant audience who they know will read nothing else or make any attempt to verify their nonsense; you being a prime example of such an audience.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 03:40

There is creation research? What peer reviewed papers have been written? What journals? Show me the research.

I assume they have documents, charts, timelines and such worked out from non-biblical sources.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 03:49
    Actually, if that happened, you would rationalize it away and still believe your programming.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree