1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 04:13
    I thought it only fair to ask in light of only christianity and Islam being picked upon. Well, what of it? I think the most vile aspects of atheism is the fact that there is no purpose to life. What is worse, in fact, is that we will die and never again exist. Not only do we serve no purpose and are on the verge of nonexistence, but we are merely animals or glorified monkeys if you will. Morality is nothing more than a sense self righteous load of crap. There is no right and there is no wrong. Men like Htler are no better or worse than you or I. God can no longer be blamed for anything. All of the religions and problems in the world can no longer be blamed on God. It is all created by us and for us. We are the morons, not God. We will then defend atheism and our moronic culpability to the death. In fact, we will spend hours upon hours on this spirituality thread in order to defend our postitions about something that we know without a shadow of a doubt is 100% nonsense.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 04:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    I thought it only fair to ask in light of only christianity and Islam being picked upon. Well, what of it? I think the most vile aspects of atheism is the fact that there is no purpose to life. What is worse, in fact, is that we will die and never again exist. Not only do we serve no purpose and are on the verge of nonexistence, but we are merely animals ...[text shortened]... defend our postitions about something that we know without a shadow of a doubt is 100% nonsense.
    That was pretty good, right up until the last sentence.

You forgot the bit about finding our own meaning for life, not relying on being told by someone else. About finding joy in simple existance, and looking for the logical rules that govern the universe rather than deffering everything to an imaginary bogeyman.

I don't know there is anything too bad about atheism, unless you take it to an absolute extreme where it can be pretty depressing. Nothing too bad, unless god is real, of course. lol.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 04:45
    I thought it only fair to ask in light of only christianity and Islam being picked upon. Well, what of it? I think the most vile aspects of atheism is the fact that there is no purpose to life. What is worse, in fact, is that we will die and never again exist. Not only do we serve no purpose and are on the verge of nonexistence, but we are merely animals ...[text shortened]... defend our postitions about something that we know without a shadow of a doubt is 100% nonsense.
    How does any of this follow from atheism? I'm an atheist, and I think that the purpose of life is to live well. Of course I think that we are animals, but we are also very special animals. We are conscious, reflective animals that can love and think and create; we are animals that can imbue our lives with meaning by virtue of what we value and how we live. If you think that, without God, moral nihilism results, then please provide your argument. I'm not sure why any of us secular folk ought to take seriously your claims about the possibility or justification of secular ethical theories.
  4. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 06:16
    We are the morons, not God.
    Refreshingly honest in this particular forum. Reluctantly, I must admit that I agree with bb, though I've yet to encounter any "secular ethical theories" that I'd want to introduce to my sister. 😛 Nice to see thinking.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 06:33
    I think the most vile aspects of atheism is the fact that there is no purpose to life. What is worse, in fact, is that we will die and never again exist.
    ...and the Oscar for most melodramatically delivered non-sequitur of the year goes to...whodey!
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 06:40
    Men like Htler are no better or worse than you or I.
    I haven't even reached four digits worth of Jews slaughtered yet. Hitler is a much better man than I.
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 06:40
    Originally posted by widget
    Refreshingly honest in this particular forum. Reluctantly, I must admit that I agree with bb, though I've yet to encounter any "secular ethical theories" that I'd want to introduce to my sister. 😛 Nice to see thinking.
    Yeah, me neither. But it seems to me that that is a problem with the 'theory' part and not the 'secular' part.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 06:53
    There's no difference in the purpose to life whether you're an atheist, a Christian, or anything else. You decide what your purpose is. Christians like to make their purpose mindlessly worshipping and obeying some super powerful being they think exists, but that's no better a purpose than any other. Same kind of thing regarding morality.

Living forever is only good if the quality of afterlife is good. So half of all afterlife possibilities are worse than not having one at all.

Is it better to blame all the problems of the world on God, and for God to be a moron, than not? I don't get it.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 07:03
    .....something that we know without a shadow of a doubt is 100% nonsense.
    Prove this, or retract it.
  10. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 07:51
    He means that, logically, most athiests would be nihilistic, since it is assumed that theism provides us with a goal worth achieving (one possible end).

I sure someone else could have put 2 and 2 together.
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 07:54
    Originally posted by Tetsujin
    He means that, logically, most athiests would be nihilistic, since it is assumed that theism provides us with a goal worth achieving (one possible end).

I sure someone else could have put 2 and 2 together.
    No, from my interpretation he was attempting to say that atheism is nonsense, and we [atheists] know this to be the case. We still, however, "moronically" defend our non-belief in something we know to be false.

Makes no sense whatsoever. I want him to prove his claim, or retract it - simple as that.
  12. Mississauga, Ontario
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 08:28
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    No, from my interpretation he was attempting to say that atheism is nonsense, and we [atheists] know this to be the case. We still, however, "moronically" defend our non-belief in something we know to be false.

Makes no sense whatsoever. I want him to prove his claim, or retract it - simple as that.
    I was talking about the non sequitur comment earlier.

I think his wording was poor. He probably meant we defend theism in this forum, etc.. etc...

...otherwise that post makes no sense at all.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 08:52
    I was talking about the non sequitur comment earlier.

I think his wording was poor. He probably meant we defend theism in this forum, etc.. etc...

...otherwise that post makes no sense at all.
    sorry, dam cross posting!!!
  14. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 10:56
    Logically? Only to a theist, perhaps, who is apparently unable to formulate anything approaching a rational thought. Simply because the atheist rejects the notion of a creator god does NOT imply that he feels life is meaningless or subscribes to amorality. This seems to be a case of wishful projection on the part of the theist.
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    19 Mar '06 11:39
    Originally posted by bbarr
    How does any of this follow from atheism? I'm an atheist, and I think that the purpose of life is to live well. Of course I think that we are animals, but we are also very special animals. We are conscious, reflective animals that can love and think and create; we are animals that can imbue our lives with meaning by virtue of what we value and how we live. ...[text shortened]... take seriously your claims about the possibility or justification of secular ethical theories.
    Isn't the burden of proof on the atheist to provide a tenable non-theistic ethical theory?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree