Moves
    27 Mar '06 16:511 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 17:50
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Yes, I know both assertions (“God sayeth”, etc) cannot be verified empirically, however the one is philosophically shallower than the other -- an enquiring mind should search for the deepest possible reason/cause.[/b]
    One small contention with the assertion of "an enquiring mind" comes to mind. While I agree with a healthy interest in the natural world, its causes and principles of operation, such interest must be tempered with a clear understanding of the natural world's inherent revelatory limits.

After determining the cause of the natural world, to continue going over the same ground yields nothing. After awhile (assuredly, that point was passed long ago), the 'argument' is not dissimilar to the medical 'breakthroughs' which now announce red wine is good for a healthy disposition, now it is bad.

Truly, the best that limited science can proffer (within an acceptable degree of certainty) is how some aspects of nature operate. Outside of operation, science ceases to be science when it ventures into speculation beyond its scope of discipline parameters. Does this understanding of operation yield appreciable results for man? Absolutely yes, and absolutely no: some information is used for bettering man and some is used to destroy him.

However, the revelation of God's character and promises found in the Bible yield lasting, spiritual results of intrinsic value. While the study of creation reveals a limited amount of the nature of God (consistency, faithfulness, genius, etc.), the study of the God of creation fills the being so absorbed to overflowing.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 18:001 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    One small contention with the assertion of "an enquiring mind" comes to mind. While I agree with a healthy interest in the natural world, its causes and principles of operation, such interest must be tempered with a clear understanding of the natural world's inherent revelatory limits.

After determining the cause of the natural world, to continue going ius, etc.), the study of the God of creation fills the being so absorbed to overflowing.
    KBH: However, the revelation of God's character and promises found in the Bible yield lasting, spiritual results of intrinsic value. While the study of creation reveals a limited amount of the nature of God (consistency, faithfulness, genius, etc.), the study of the God of creation fills the being so absorbed to overflowing.

So you spend approximately 90% of your time reading the Bible and the other 10% on meal and bathroom breaks?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 18:09
    Wish I was that anal!
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 18:21
    You're a crass little man.

Holding my breath for the ad hominems and straw men to follow.
    😞
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 18:49
    [b]This is generally false (many possible counter-examples).

Please. Humour me. Of course you'll cite the Papua New Guinean atheist who has no concept of science. My assertion was directed at the smug western type who claims that science has failed to provide any evidence for God ergo he doesn’t exist -- as you well know, this is the a syllogistic fa ...[text shortened]... possible reason/cause. Holding my breath for the ad hominems and straw men to follow.[/b]
    Please. Humour me. Of course you'll cite the Papua New Guinean atheist who has no concept of science. My assertion was directed at the smug western type who claims that science has failed to provide any evidence for God ergo he doesn’t exist

Haven't you ever heard of rationalism? You stated quite simply that the atheist is necessarily an empiricist. That's patently false, homey. The atheist can just as well be a rationalist. Maybe you shouldn't use specific philosophical terms (like 'empiricism'😉 unless you know what they mean:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rationalism-empiricism/

If the person were truly honest, his/her position would be agnosticism rather than atheism.

Not necessarily. The person is abiding by at least prima facie epistemic obligations when he formulates belief in proportion to the available evidence. Seeing no evidence for the existence of God is surely compatible with seeing sufficient evidence against the existence of God. In that case, he is 'being honest' by adopting a stance of strong atheism. Of course, if there is a lack of evidence either way, then, yes, I agree that weak atheism is the 'honest' position.

You're a crass little man.

I AM WHO I AM.

Yes, I know both assertions (“God sayeth”, etc) cannot be verified empirically, however the one is philosophically shallower than the other

I completely disagree. From a standpoint of epistemic justification, the two positions are equivalent. Namely, they are both completely arbitrary, and neither provides any actual substance as to why the act in question is morally wrong.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 19:371 edit
    I personally do not agree with the contention made by atheists here that "weak atheism" = agnosticism. Rwingett (who argues this position) has stated that a weak atheist still puts the "burden of proof" on the theist. I think a true agnostic (as I am) looks at the evidence free from any such presumptions or burden placing.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 19:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I personally do not agree with the contention made by atheists here that "weak atheism" = agnosticism. Rwingett (who argues this position) has stated that a weak atheist still puts the "burden of proof" on the theist. I think a true agnostic (as I am) looks at the evidence free from any such presumptions or burden placing.
    The wind, unseen but felt, has impact on things visible. The theist calls that wind God, whereas the atheist either denies things are moving at all, or insists they are moving on their own accord.

While the weak counter-argument to naming the wind God is the absurd FSM, the God described in the Bible enters the scene fully developed at the onset.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 20:25
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The wind, unseen but felt, has impact on things visible. The theist calls that wind God, whereas the atheist either denies things are moving at all, or insists they are moving on their own accord.

While the weak counter-argument to naming the wind God is the absurd FSM, the God described in the Bible enters the scene fully developed at the onset.
    Yes, mythical beings can be "fully developed at the onset" if the creators of the myth chose them to be so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree