1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 13:26
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    It does bother me that the people in movies(actors, for the people who wants to be more clearer) use Jesus Christ name. It makes no sence at all. What does it mean if you say "Jesus Christ, did you see that?" To me it makes no sence. It actually is very childish,would anyone agree?
    If you are talking about general profanity then why blame actors and directors? They are merely trying to portray what the general population is doing.
    I personally think a bit less profanity would be good in movies though of course it would not be realistic. Somtimes not realistic is better.
    Oh and profanity is not intended to mean what the exact words say but rather to shock.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 13:33
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Profanity is the art of the articulate nitwit.
    That's better.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 13:41
    Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate nitwit.
    Damn!
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Damn!
    People who think that swear words are the building blocks of humour are all $$$$'ed up.

Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong guy.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:04
    People who think that swear words are the building blocks of humour are all $$$$'ed up.
    Nice.

I agree with them not being building blocks of humour, but they sure can serve as decoration.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:08
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I agree with them not being building blocks of humour, but they sure can serve as decoration.
    Who can honestly say that Marcellus Wallace threatening to go mediaeval on someone's ass is not funny?
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:191 edit

Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong guy.
    Like Palynka (sorta) said, it's not the words themselves that purvey the humour, it's the way they're commanded and presented to the listener/reader.

Give me Bill Hicks over Bill Cosby any day.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:21
    Read the header and the first line of my remark......
    did you read it?

That is what its all about 🙄
    I read it before I entered the thread. It offers no information without a coherent question or statement.

It does bother me that the people in movies(actors, for the people who wants to be more clearer) use Jesus Christ name. It makes no sence at all. What does it mean if you say "Jesus Christ, did you see that?" To me it makes no sence. It actually is very childish,would anyone agree?

Are you referring to Mel Gibson?
  9. London
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:25
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Are you referring to Mel Gibson?
    Where does Mel Gibson say "Jesus Christ, did you see that?"
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:29
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I think it was in "Air America".
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:021 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Gibson used the myth of Christ to make money. I thought that sort of exploitation is what the poster has issues with (although it is hard to know from his/her posts so far).
  12. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:12
    I prefer for the movies that I watch to remain realistic - especially concerning character design and development. If I were to view a film in which present-day people speak with a 17th century dialect, unless such theatrics were central to the plot, it wouldn't likely go over too well.

Similarly if I see a character having just been shot in the arm (for example) say, "Gee golly gosh.. and ouch..."

Not likely to work for me.

My suggestion is to stick with 'G' ratings and made-for-TV TBN movies. Leave the heavier stuff to us heathens.

-JC
  13. London
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Gibson used the myth of Christ to make money. I thought that sort of exploitation is what the poster has issues with (although it is hard to know from his/her posts so far).
    I think the poster's objection is the good ol' Third Commandment (Second Commandment if you're Catholic).
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by Churlant
    Similarly if I see a character having just been shot in the arm (for example) say, "Gee golly gosh.. and ouch..."
    I knew a guy that talked like that. One person of all those I've known said "sugar" after smashing his thumb with a rock while pounding in a tent peg. That was 31 years ago.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 18:42
    No. To a great many of us, the words "Jesus Christ" have little more meaning in that context than do "Wow!" or "$h!t!"

I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree